Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2811265 times)

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #13150 on: 09 October 2023, 20:18 »
Looks clean enough to eat off.

I keep mine clean (just the covers and exposed parts), nothing like Willni’s though.

I did buy the front manifold cover as not supplied with the MK7.5 as I understand?
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #13151 on: 09 October 2023, 21:54 »
For those Mk8 owners who say they don’t care what their dreadful replacement engine covers look like…… just appreciate how nice that Mk7 looks under the bonnet.

Personally, I clean under the bonnet every time I wash the car. It’s part of the pride of owning a GTI in my view.

Agree.

Cleaning under the bonnet is part of my car washing regime too, as is cleaning those other ‘not seen’ (or not readily seen) parts, such as the wheel barrels and reverse side of wheel spokes, brake calipers, wheel arch liners, bottoms of sills below the black sill extension strip, the fuel filler cap compartment behind the filler flap, around the door openings and hatch opening, chrome exhaust tips and inside the ends of the exhaust pipes.

It takes me nearly as long to clean those parts as it does to clean the rest of the car! :grin:
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #13152 on: 09 October 2023, 22:07 »
For those Mk8 owners who say they don’t care what their dreadful replacement engine covers look like…… just appreciate how nice that Mk7 looks under the bonnet.

Personally, I clean under the bonnet every time I wash the car. It’s part of the pride of owning a GTI in my view.

Agree.

Cleaning under the bonnet is part of my car washing regime too, as is cleaning those other ‘not seen’ (or not readily seen) parts, such as the wheel barrels and reverse side of wheel spokes, brake calipers, wheel arch liners, bottoms of sills below the black sill extension strip, the fuel filler cap compartment behind the filler flap, around the door openings and hatch opening, chrome exhaust tips and inside the ends of the exhaust pipes.

It takes me nearly as long to clean those parts as it does to clean the rest of the car! :grin:

It makes a massive difference IMO
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #13153 on: 10 October 2023, 20:27 »
Yeap and it's also the work that gets the neighbours shaking their heads and asking why you are still outside after three hours - makes me wonder how they get their Audi's and BMW's so clean when I know they don't get their hands wet  :laugh:
2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #13154 on: 10 October 2023, 20:42 »
Yeap and it's also the work that gets the neighbours shaking their heads and asking why you are still outside after three hours - makes me wonder how they get their Audi's and BMW's so clean when I know they don't get their hands wet  :laugh:

Back in the mid 90’s I worked with a guy who had his Jag XJ valeted every week. It was always immaculate but must have cost him a fortune.

I enjoy cleaning my car, I’ve always found it therapeutic and who gives a stuff what neighbours think?

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #13155 on: 10 October 2023, 21:21 »
My neighbours think I am ill if they do not see me out once a week cleaning the car. Wheels and hidden bits take as long as the rest of the car.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #13156 on: 10 October 2023, 21:24 »

Their Audi’s and BMW’s might look clean but;
  • if they entrust their car cleaning to the hand wash places, the paintwork won’t be in a good state
  • if they’re paying a good detailer to do the car cleaning duties, they’ll be paying handsomely for the privilege
My neighbours are used to my 3hrs (or longer) car washing / cleaning regime, so they don’t react or comment these days.

It makes me cringe when I see the guy who lives opposite me washing his 23 plate BMW using a 1/2 bucket of water, a tiny, grubby sponge and an old wash leather. Takes him around 45 minutes from start to finish.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #13157 on: 10 October 2023, 22:09 »
I don't even want to think how long it will take my next wash & hoover...or the impending full detail
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #13158 on: 15 October 2023, 17:40 »
In between watching the rugby I've been sorting the paintwork on the golf, after it's respray plenty of sanding marks removed and a little overspray which ended up on the ppf and glass as well.

Another stage of polishing to bring back the gloss then I'll ceramic coat it all again.

Does anyone know if you can remove the rear VW emblem (chrome section)? Getting a little bit too OCD but I want it sitting 100%.

« Last Edit: 15 October 2023, 22:11 by willni »
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #13159 on: 15 October 2023, 20:12 »
In between watching the rugby I've been sorting the paintwork on the golf, as it's respray plenty of sanding marks removed and a little overspray which ended up on the ppf and glass as well.

Another stage of polishing to bring back the gloss then I'll ceramic coat it all again.

Does anyone know if you can remove the rear VW emblem (chrome section)? Getting a little bit too OCD but I want it sitting 100%.

I’ve used fishing line on other cars to remove badges.