Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2810744 times)

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #7820 on: 29 December 2017, 14:15 »
Doesn’t effect them all. And washing routine definitely has an influence on whether it happens or not. So maybe your wash routine just doesn’t cause it. Then there’s definitely some who wouldn’t even notice it. It’s subtle. I was a passenger in a car recently where I could hear it. Driver (owner) of the car had no idea.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7821 on: 29 December 2017, 17:48 »
Well I've never ever treated any door seals ever on any car and not had any squeaks from doors. Same can't be said for interior plastic trim though  :whistle:

Have you tried turning your music off and listening.   :grin:

It’s when you can hear the creaking above high volume music you know you have to do something about it.  :laugh:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7822 on: 29 December 2017, 17:54 »
I was actually studying your “guide to detailing” thread on the R forum as I am planning to not bother with pro ceramic coatings on the new car and go DIY this time. I have a shopping basket filled on cleanyourcar.co.uk, just have to click “buy” !

Already got a few bits off woo-woo  :laugh:

Guide is probably too grand a word for it.  Collection of detailing ramblings might be nearer the mark.  :laugh:

You had a ceramic coating on your car didn’t you Joe?  Not impressed?  I know many swear by ceramic coatings but I can’t see any real advantage if you look after the car regularly.  I had one several years back on mk5 GTI and it was crap. I’m sure they’ve advanced since then but I’ve never felt the need for one since. 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #7823 on: 29 December 2017, 18:53 »
I was actually studying your “guide to detailing” thread on the R forum as I am planning to not bother with pro ceramic coatings on the new car and go DIY this time. I have a shopping basket filled on cleanyourcar.co.uk, just have to click “buy” !

Guide is probably too grand a word for it.  Collection of detailing ramblings might be nearer the mark.  :laugh:

You had a ceramic coating on your car didn’t you Joe?  Not impressed?  I know many swear by ceramic coatings but I can’t see any real advantage if you look after the car regularly.  I had one several years back on mk5 GTI and it was crap. I’m sure they’ve advanced since then but I’ve never felt the need for one since.

Yeah I had the ceramic on the current car. It was expensive. It did look awesome when done but I've been a little underwhelmed with whatever long term benefit it supposedly offered and its supposed levels of protection. I can still see water bead and sheet off the car to this day (so I guess it is still offering something) but I don't think it's been much benefit in terms of avoiding swirls or bird crap marks, etc. Also, 6 months into ownership, I had one panel (passenger door) resprayed after a carpark ding so that panel has no ceramic coat on it and I don't see any discernible difference between it and the adjoining panels. I applied my own wax/sealants to that panel and it beads the water as well as any of the others...

So I've become a little skeptical of the claims of those who push these ceramic sealants to be quite honest.

I've kinda come to the conclusion that one-off coatings are not for me, as I would lean more towards your approach - regular DIY maintenance. I think the coatings are great if you're not the sort that's too bothered about very regular upkeep or if your circumstances don't allow it easily (e.g. living in an apartment with no place to work on your own car).  Thing is, even with the coating applied, I couldn't help myself and often applied other products on top of it - even though I was advised that I should not do that, that I would be compromising the coating and effectively wasting my time/money! So thats not for me, I do enjoy the DIY aspect, trying out new stuff, etc...

So my plan is to collect the car (after I ask the dealer not to wash it) and do some basic prep on it myself followed by a wax/sealant.

Rebecca, what products have you (or do you) use on the pretorias? I see many people say that a ceramic sealant is still worthwhile on wheels at least as it does make them easier to maintain...

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7824 on: 29 December 2017, 19:11 »

Yeah I had the ceramic on the current car. It was expensive. It did look awesome when done but I've been a little underwhelmed with whatever long term benefit it supposedly offered and its supposed levels of protection. I can still see water bead and sheet off the car to this day (so I guess it is still offering something) but I don't think it's been much benefit in terms of avoiding swirls or bird crap marks, etc. Also, 6 months into ownership, I had one panel (passenger door) resprayed after a carpark ding so that panel has no ceramic coat on it and I don't see any discernible difference between it and the adjoining panels. I applied my own wax/sealants to that panel and it beads the water as well as any of the others...

So I've become a little skeptical of the claims of those who push these ceramic sealants to be quite honest.

I've kinda come to the conclusion that one-off coatings are not for me, as I would lean more towards your approach - regular DIY maintenance. I think the coatings are great if you're not the sort that's too bothered about very regular upkeep or if your circumstances don't allow it easily (e.g. living in an apartment with no place to work on your own car).  Thing is, even with the coating applied, I couldn't help myself and often applied other products on top of it - even though I was advised that I should not do that, that I would be compromising the coating and effectively wasting my time/money! So thats not for me, I do enjoy the DIY aspect, trying out new stuff, etc...

So my plan is to collect the car (after I ask the dealer not to wash it) and do some basic prep on it myself followed by a wax/sealant.

Rebecca, what products have you (or do you) use on the pretorias? I see many people say that a ceramic sealant is still worthwhile on wheels at least as it does make them easier to maintain...

That’s a lot of sense spoken there Joe.

Joe, in terms of protection, all I use on my Prets is a couple coats of Gtechniq C2v3 applied monthly/6 weekly.   Very easy to apply and buffover, amd doesn’t leave white residue in nooks like some wheel sealants/waxes can.  The C2 does a really great job ime.  There’s obviously coatings such as Gyeon Q2 RIM, Gtechniq C5 Wheel armour, CarPro DLUX, which are supposed to last several months and require wheels off application and curing time, and lots swear by these - C5 used to be the favoured one, but it seems to have fallen out of favour with the coatings fanboys and now Q2 is the current fav squeeze. :laugh:  Tbh I’ve seen nothing to sway me from regular applications of C2v3. 

For regular maintenance washes, I use a few sprays of Bilberry Wheel Cleaner diluted 1:8 or use the ready diluted WoWo Wheel Cleaner which I’m just about to re-order as I was very impressed with it. So before doing anything on the car, I spray with one of those (plus spray on tailpipes same time) and leave it for a few mins, then snow foam (ValetPro Advanced Neutral SF via proper lance) whole car incl wheels, dwell, jet wash rinse the lot, then I favour a second (optional) prewash - lance application of ValetPro Citrus Prewash on whole car incl wheels, dwell, jet wash rinse the lot.  Then I fill up my buckets and with dedicated bucket for wheels, wash wheels with WoWo wheel mitt and wheel woolies.  Then bucket wash rest of car, then usual rinses.  And as said earlier, apply C2v3 when required.   
« Last Edit: 29 December 2017, 19:15 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #7825 on: 29 December 2017, 19:22 »
Great stuff as always Rebecca, thanks!

Any experience with poorboys wheel sealant? I have that in my basket! I think I have a bottle of that cv2 stuff already somewhere. Don’t think I used it much ever although I remember it was quite cheap.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7826 on: 29 December 2017, 19:38 »
Great stuff as always Rebecca, thanks!

Any experience with poorboys wheel sealant? I have that in my basket! I think I have a bottle of that cv2 stuff already somewhere. Don’t think I used it much ever although I remember it was quite cheap.

Yes, me again!  I used Poorboys Wheel Sealant for 4 years.  It’s a great wheel sealant but I decided to ditch it with the Prets as I got sick of finding bits of residue which turns from pink to white, in the lettering of wheel bolt covers etc, which has to be teased out with a toothpick, no matter how thorough you think you’ve beenbuffing off - pita. And PB Wheel Sealant is a pig to buff off if you leave it slightly too long or if the sun bakes it on.  As all my detailing has to be done outside on the drive, it’s often one side in the sun and I got fed up with it.  There’s nothing wrong with it as a sealant, on the contrary it’s very good and durable, but there’s better out there in terms of easier application and buffing off is concerned, and clear so no residue! 

C2v3 is also great on glass. I love it for wheels and glass, but don’t like it for paint. I prefer wax on dark paint.  But, if looking at nano sealant for paint, Sonax BSD (Brilliant Shine Detailer) is much better than C2 ime. 
« Last Edit: 29 December 2017, 19:43 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #7827 on: 30 December 2017, 17:44 »
Used my OBDeleven in anger for the first time.

Added fogs activating with high beam including the flash function, fan speed in auto and rain closure. Found it dead easy to use, you simply need to know what to change. Impressed!

Overall, it's already paid for itself with those few things.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #7828 on: 30 December 2017, 17:59 »

Added fogs activating with high beam including the flash function, fan speed in auto and rain closure. Found it dead easy to use, you simply need to know what to change. Impressed!

It really is a brilliant bit of kit for the money. We're you already an android user Graham?
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #7829 on: 31 December 2017, 02:09 »

It really is a brilliant bit of kit for the money. We're you already an android user Graham?

Yes - always had android so nothing needed extra there. I wondered whether a tablet would be better than my phone but I'm not sure the extra screen size is required. Got the bug to find out what I can change.The obdeleven forum is good but I like the way the VCDS stuff is the same (apart from the languages on the different software)
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!