Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2812141 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #6040 on: 05 February 2017, 01:20 »

Thanks for all the comments and views.

I think I'm going to play it safe (for now) and stick with just the gloss back mirrors ect.

If I feel down the line I fancy doing something else then at least I know roughly how much it's going to cost.

I went to see the mirrors today and in the flesh they look awesome.

I think that a good decision Mr GTD.  ETTO but I think that particular look as in that pic, looks very dated even on current mk7. Think less is more in this case.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Raffe

• I live here
« Reply #6041 on: 05 February 2017, 08:17 »
Personally I think the Golf carries the black roof well, so much so VW agree and offered it as an option on the CS model.

I am going to have my roof wrapped gloss black when I also get my mirrors finished in black, so am a fan.

Think the heavy tints on the picture of the white Golf skews the aesthetic as it all looks too much.
2016 Golf R | 3dr | DSG | Reflex Silver | 19" Pretoria Alloys | 90% Tints | Nav | Winter Pack | App Connect

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
« Reply #6042 on: 05 February 2017, 09:53 »

I think I'm going to play it safe (for now) and stick with just the gloss back mirrors ect.

If I feel down the line I fancy doing something else then at least I know roughly how much it's going to cost.

I think that a good decision Mr GTD.  ETTO but I think that particular look as in that pic, looks very dated even on current mk7. Think less is more in this case.

My wife agrees with you as she's not a fan of me getting the rest of the roof done.

Personally I think the Golf carries the black roof well, so much so VW agree and offered it as an option on the CS model.

I am going to have my roof wrapped gloss black when I also get my mirrors finished in black, so am a fan.

Think the heavy tints on the picture of the white Golf skews the aesthetic as it all looks too much.

Yes I do agree with you as I like the black roof on the CS is a nice touch, But If I went through with it would I look like I'm trying to be something I'm not..?

I do think in that particular pic that the tints are far to dark...that's just my personal opinion though.

I think I'm just trying to pass the time as quickly as possible so I'm trying to occupy myself with needless things :grin: but it's still only the 5th and I've got 24 days to go! :laugh:

Are just get back to waxing me SR's!  :laugh:
Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #6043 on: 05 February 2017, 11:38 »
Seriously, the glass or the tint on the glass?

The tint is in the glass. It can't get scratched. Although the glass can get scratched and it can show up more in tinted windows.

But this happened to me on the Mk6 where you couldn't turn the feature off.

The tint is on the outside of the window, my rear window was replaced after it was scratched by the dealers. Not sure how they done it but they were replacing boot opening mechanism. When I was collecting the car I noticed the tint was scratched off the bottom right corner of the screen.

I know that sand and grit are really hard but I didn't think that the rear wiper would have enough downward pressure to make it scratch it.

Factory tint isn't a film over the outside of the glass. It is carried out in the processing stage of making the glass.
Either a dye or a film sandwiched in the glass. You can't simply remove it.

I don't know what happened to your car, possibly like that from the factory?
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #6044 on: 05 February 2017, 14:45 »

My wife agrees with you as she's not a fan of me getting the rest of the roof done.

Yes I do agree with you as I like the black roof on the CS is a nice touch, But If I went through with it would I look like I'm trying to be something I'm not..?

I do think in that particular pic that the tints are far to dark...that's just my personal opinion though.

I think I'm just trying to pass the time as quickly as possible so I'm trying to occupy myself with needless things :grin: but it's still only the 5th and I've got 24 days to go! :laugh:

Are just get back to waxing me SR's!  :laugh:

Mr GTD, you should go with what you want, peoples opinions are useful but it's your car. Or should I say, go with what you wife lets you :wink: As I said before, if you're keen, £140 is not to bad to take a gamble on and easy to remove if you don't like it. You only live once :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
« Reply #6045 on: 05 February 2017, 15:34 »
Mr GTD, you should go with what you want, peoples opinions are useful but it's your car. Or should I say, go with what you wife lets you :wink: As I said before, if you're keen, £140 is not to bad to take a gamble on and easy to remove if you don't like it. You only live once :smiley:

I was on the fence about the wrap anyway so the opinions of others who have 7s was what I needed to hear(as well as my wife's of course) besides I've spent a fair wack recently on a car that I don't even have in my possession yet.  :grin:

I think I will wait until I see the car first before making my mind up as the panroof with gloss black mirrors might be enough.  :smiley:
Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #6046 on: 05 February 2017, 16:31 »
Seriously, the glass or the tint on the glass?

The tint is in the glass. It can't get scratched. Although the glass can get scratched and it can show up more in tinted windows.

But this happened to me on the Mk6 where you couldn't turn the feature off.

The tint is on the outside of the window, my rear window was replaced after it was scratched by the dealers. Not sure how they done it but they were replacing boot opening mechanism. When I was collecting the car I noticed the tint was scratched off the bottom right corner of the screen.

I know that sand and grit are really hard but I didn't think that the rear wiper would have enough downward pressure to make it scratch it.

Factory tint isn't a film over the outside of the glass. It is carried out in the processing stage of making the glass.
Either a dye or a film sandwiched in the glass. You can't simply remove it.

I don't know what happened to your car, possibly like that from the factory?

I think I would have noticed it if it was like it from factory. If it's not on the outside then I don't know how it got scratched. I noticed it from about 20ft away when walking out to collect my car.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6047 on: 05 February 2017, 18:19 »

I was on the fence about the wrap anyway so the opinions of others who have 7s was what I needed to hear(as well as my wife's of course) besides I've spent a fair wack recently on a car that I don't even have in my possession yet.  :grin:

I think I will wait until I see the car first before making my mind up as the panroof with gloss black mirrors might be enough.  :smiley:

Agree with Watts, go with your own heart.  But good idea to wait till you've got the car first and lived with it for a bit, then you'll get a better feel for what you might really want to change, and it's more rewarding to do it that way I think, as you are stamping your identity on it in an evolving way which I think is quite nice rather than make wholesale changes as soon as it arrives.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #6048 on: 05 February 2017, 18:46 »
Swapped my Santiago alloys rear to front @ 7500 miles

7.3mm on the backs (average) -now on the fronts, and 6mm on the fronts (now on the backs), to try and even out the wear, and prolong the mileage I get out of a set.

Don't think these Pirelli P-Zeros are going to last anywhere near the 21k miles I got out of the previous GTD's Tombstones, but overall for a 19" tyre, don't think they are doing that bad.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #6049 on: 05 February 2017, 19:15 »
Swapped my Santiago alloys rear to front @ 7500 miles

7.3mm on the backs (average) -now on the fronts, and 6mm on the fronts (now on the backs), to try and even out the wear, and prolong the mileage I get out of a set.

Don't think these Pirelli P-Zeros are going to last anywhere near the 21k miles I got out of the previous GTD's Tombstones, but overall for a 19" tyre, don't think they are doing that bad.

I've P-Zeros too, just done the same for the second time at 13.5k miles and they seem to be wearing well and very evenly. I haven't measured the remaining depth but they have a fair way to go before they hit the wear indicators. I have got a couple of tread depth tools but they are buried somewhere and quite old, I suspect they are in Imperial :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.