Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2812156 times)

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #4090 on: 28 March 2016, 13:37 »
What a sickener Rebecca and so avoidable if the woman involved gave a sh!t.
I parked at my local Tesco on Saturday, leaving about 30m clearance all round my car. As I was heading back to it I saw a guy walking behind it and then scraping himself against the rear quarter as he turned past it, saving himself a yard of extra walking time. I really felt like chinning him there and then but I managed to calm myself down before I did something stupid.
What is up with people? :angry:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #4091 on: 28 March 2016, 14:11 »
Ouch Rebecca, so annoying!
I got very similar damage to mine a few months ago when it was parked at the dealers! Same chip of paint gone from the crease and light scratches down the door. I didn't have a dent though and it looks like you do?
Anyway, the dealers paid to have it sorted out even though it was probably another customer of theirs that did it.
It did mean a very localised paint job was done and the door was re-lacquered. Touching up yourself may help but it'll never be perfect...
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Mk7-GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #4092 on: 28 March 2016, 14:20 »
I'm a blue badge holder and it even happens to me. I always park in the middle of the box but for some reason people still manage to park right beside me.

It drives me up the wall, that and the amount of people how don't have a blue badge and use the spaces.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4093 on: 28 March 2016, 16:51 »
Thanks for all your kind words and sympathy, very much appreciated.

Unfortunately it is dented, actually it's a bit worse that it first looked! I've now also noticed a bit more paint missing off the lower part of the door, about 3 stone chip sized bits gone.

There's are some total careless idiots out there. The woman was clueless. What made it worse was the fact there were about 50 other empty parking spaces, but no, they have to drive to the farthest part of the car park and put it right next to mine. To compound the issue, after claiming she hadn't caused any damage, after I drew her attention to the chip and dent, she started scratching at the chip with her bl00dy long nails!  At that point I gave her a steely stare and said, "Do NOT touch the car".  She shrank backwards rather quickly and she and the driver guy looked at me like I was some kind of nutter.  :grin:

I know good PDR / Smart repairers can work wonders so I'll be seeking one out.  If anyone knows of a good place in Canterbury/East Kent area please let me know.  Never needed to use one before and always prefer to use people with a good reputation and preferably personally recommended.

After calming down a bit, I decided that only car therapy would get me over my over dent despair so I got out there in the wild wind and cleaned it!  It sort of helped a bit but every time I look at it, the dent seems worse, especially now it's not masked by dirt. Of course when the light catches it it looks much worse due to the distorted reflections.  Ah well,m I'll get onto some PDR places and get it sorted as soon as I can. 

Anyway I gave it a good clean but it was sadly short-lived!

Then I had to go our for a bit and it started raining, so it now looks like this again!.  :cry:

« Last Edit: 28 March 2016, 17:51 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline AndyG

• Here all the time
« Reply #4094 on: 28 March 2016, 17:04 »
Gutted for you Rebecca,as it was the passenger,I don't hold much hope of the driver taking responsibility.Your more restrained than me I would have flipped.
Some people don't give a sh!t about their own car never mind someone else's.
I'm dredding when I can no longer park in the child and toddler space.

Still looks good even with dent.
« Last Edit: 28 March 2016, 17:08 by AndyG »
Golf 7R,DSG,5 door White,leather,rear camera.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #4095 on: 28 March 2016, 17:36 »
Happened to me on my white GTD exactly 3 days after delivery.

Same thing, was parked in a pub car park, nothing in half a dozen spaces either side of me. Luckily after we got in the pub, I realised I'd left my phone in the car so went back to see a 15 year old transit scrap van parking next to me, and as I walked towards the car, heard the bang as he flung his door open straight into mine. I nearly dragged him from his cab, as there was a dent on the crease line, and it had taken the paint (which being so new I guess was still curing and not fully hard), straight off in an area around the size of a 5 pence piece, right down to the shiney metal.

I was absolutely livid, and the guys reaction ? - "try and prove it was me you to55er, there's no cameras here so it's my word against yours " as he got back in his van and screamed off.

I did report it to the Police and also with the pub, but was a total waste of time in both cases.

These idiots that don't give a flying f**k about other people's property, want publicly flogging and castrating in my opinion !!!!

Grrrrr.....rant over - totally feel your pain Rebecca.
« Last Edit: 28 March 2016, 17:38 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline wantmygti

• I live here
« Reply #4096 on: 28 March 2016, 17:55 »
Looks like smart repair territory to me - all the PDR guys I know won't touch it once the paint has been damaged. Would bring me close to tears...
2017 GTi Clubsport arrived June 2017
2007 Shadow Blue GTi, sold on after 10 years ownership

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4097 on: 28 March 2016, 21:24 »
Once again thanks for all your kind sentiments.  :smiley:

I'm going to call KDS in Gillingham which has been recommended to me by someone.  They do both paint and dent removal. Will call them in the morning and email some pics over see what they say.

Accidents happen but I still find it hard to accept that the offending car, drove across 16 parking rows (nearly all empty) in this car park, right to the far end of it and parked right next to me.  Some people have no common sense whatsoever and live in La La Land!  Selfish behaviour.  And when it's windy you know that you need to hold onto the car door and if you can't then don't park right next to someone else when there's about 70 other parking spaces to chose from.  I managed to refrain from ranting at the passenger woman but am now more mad at the stupid driver for parking right next to me.

Anyway, I'm sure it will get sorted ok, just worried because it's right on the crease. 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline mk7gti

• I live here
« Reply #4098 on: 28 March 2016, 21:51 »
Back in 2013 Rebecca with my first GTI which was 1 day old a lady let the wind catch her door with the following result:

A local PDR guy sorted the dent and I touched in the paint with a touch up pen. It was an excellent job even if I do say so myself. A before and after...

Today in my new GTI which is two weeks old I hit a bird at 60 mph and now have a front GTI badge with a missing 'I' :cry:
« Last Edit: 28 March 2016, 21:54 by mk7gti »

MK7 GTI - Deep Pearl Black - Standard Spec - Ordered 10/12/2015.

MK7 GTI - White - Standard Spec - Service Pack - Collected 11/09/2013.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4099 on: 28 March 2016, 23:14 »
Back in 2013 Rebecca with my first GTI which was 1 day old a lady let the wind catch her door with the following result:

Today in my new GTI which is two weeks old I hit a bird at 60 mph and now have a front GTI badge with a missing 'I' :cry:

Thanks very much for posting that. :smiley: I remember this from 2013 and remember your pic and what a fantastic result it was. I've actually been looking for that thread but couldn't find it.

It's almost identical to mine, your dent slightly worse I think. I have a recommended place to contact. Tbh I wouldn't trust myself to touch it in, no way could I do as good a job as you did, so I'll leave it to a pro.

Thanks again for posting those pics, you've put my mind at rest that a good as new result can are achieved.  :smiley:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual