Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2809873 times)

Offline kenny.c

• GTI forum regular
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #1840 on: 08 March 2015, 19:27 »
They are infact the very ones I fitted......A little tight to get on....but ended up being a nice fit.

I wouldnt bother with the "stick on covers" as they will sit proud and look very "aftermarket" those you linked are direct replacements.

Ken
« Last Edit: 08 March 2015, 19:28 by kenny.c »
GTI - PP

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #1841 on: 15 March 2015, 15:48 »
Finally fitted some genuine VW OEM sill protectors. Bit miffed you don't get any as standard TBH !!
Also, changed the LED footwell lights for Blue LED's.

Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1842 on: 15 March 2015, 15:59 »
^^
Looks  :cool: 

These will be my first two mini mods too, when car eventually turns up.

Got a link to these?  I might buy some in advance. Thanks  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 15 March 2015, 16:04 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #1843 on: 15 March 2015, 18:38 »
^^
Looks  :cool: 

These will be my first two mini mods too, when car eventually turns up.

Got a link to these?  I might buy some in advance. Thanks  :smiley:

You will need 2 of these.

Part No:  V7L0 947 415 They were £9.16 each last March
The sill covers are from  the Scirocco R  Part No: V1K8 853 537 CH E1 @ £59 each *
* I got both for £59 as only one turned up prior to picking up the car, then they were on back order so the dealer waived the extra cost as a goodwill gesture.
Blue Led's were from eBay W5W type £5.78 for 4 Led's. Free P&P
« Last Edit: 15 March 2015, 18:42 by JB GTI »

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1844 on: 15 March 2015, 19:01 »
JB: What are the units in the small boxes? You mention sill protectors (which I can see), you mention the blue LEDs from ebay - i'm missing what the OEM parts in the boxes are.  :huh:
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #1845 on: 15 March 2015, 19:29 »
JB: What are the units in the small boxes? You mention sill protectors (which I can see), you mention the blue LEDs from ebay - i'm missing what the OEM parts in the boxes are.  :huh:

They are halogen bulb holders. The MK7 footwell lights are Led units but they are sealed and can't be doctored. All you need to do with these is take the silver metal piece off protecting the bulb and replace the halogen bulb with a led. Takes all of about five minutes to do the whole job  :wink:

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1846 on: 15 March 2015, 19:39 »

They are halogen bulb holders. The MK7 footwell lights are Led units but they are sealed and can't be doctored. All you need to do with these is take the silver metal piece off protecting the bulb and replace the halogen bulb with a led. Takes all of about five minutes to do the whole job  :wink:

Thanks for all the info JB.  I figured that's what the boxes were as I remember reading a while back about the LED units being sealed, unlike the mk6 ones which can be opened up and bulbs swapped.  Those holders also fit the glove box but iirc, the glove box are halogen bulbs??  If so presumably you can swap these over for LEDs and don't need new holders?  Are all the other interior and boot lights LED from factory?

EDIT:  Just found this thread which answers the questions http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=264345.0

From reading this looks like it's glove box and boot lights that are still halogens, all others LED.  is it such a hardship for VW to be consistent and make all interior lights LEDs, cost cutting?   :rolleyes:  Luckliy I've got a supply left over from upgrading the mk6 ones.
« Last Edit: 15 March 2015, 20:12 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #1847 on: 15 March 2015, 20:16 »

Thanks for all the info JB.  I figured that's what the boxes were as I remember reading a while back about the LED units being sealed, unlike the mk6 ones which can be opened up and bulbs swapped.  Those holders also fit the glove box but iirc, the glove box are halogen bulbs??  If so presumably you can swap these over for LEDs and don't need new holders?  Are all the other interior and boot lights LED from factory?

EDIT:  Just found this thread which answers the questions http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=264345.0

From reading this looks like it's glove box and boot lights that are still halogens, all others LED.  is it such a hardship for VW to be consistent and make all interior lights LEDs, cost cutting?   :rolleyes:  Luckliy I've got a supply left over from upgrading the mk6 ones.

You won't need to do the vanity mirrors as they are now led. They weren't this time last year though. You never know, they might all be led by the end of the Mk7 production   :whistle:
« Last Edit: 15 March 2015, 20:21 by JB GTI »

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1848 on: 15 March 2015, 20:37 »
^^
Yeah seems they added the vanity lights back at bw22 last year. Maybe for bw22 2015 we'll get the glove box lights, and bw22 2016 will get the boot lights too.  Nothing like building the tension eh  :grin:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline somersetred

• Not said much yet
« Reply #1849 on: 15 March 2015, 21:00 »
Gave my car a long awaited detail after the winter. Snowfoam, followed by 2 bucket method wash and then a couple of coats of Collinite 476 wax.

Also tried the popular transparent bonnet mod  :laugh:

Looks amazing - makes me glad I've ordered in red.  Usually the tornado red photos leave me worried I've made the wrong choice in colour, until I see one in the flesh and feel reassured.  Your photos seem to capture this.  Can't wait until delivery now.
GTI pp tornado red