Author Topic: Headunit stopped working  (Read 2001 times)

Offline russ-vdub

• I live here
  • Once a Dub, Always a Dub
Re: Headunit stopped working
« Reply #10 on: 01 November 2007, 09:53 »
thats odd..sounds like one of your internal wires is nackered..gimme a bit more background info

when you say "just stopped working"..what happened? did it just not turn on after you turned if off or did it stop when playing? also what car you got? when fitting the new unit did you add or ammend any exsisting wires? if your old headunit was workin for a while before and then when you fitted the new it only lasted a couple of days, it could be something you've done.

Offline russ-vdub

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 01 November 2007, 09:54 »
also if your local to bournemouth id be happy to have a look it for ya :)

Offline afcbob

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 01 November 2007, 10:39 »
No in scotland but thanks anyway.

Ok i fited it  and was work fine that day, it's a Alpine and you lock it in to the dash so after i tested it all was fine. i pushed it in the dash and locked the small pins on the headunit tried to turn on nothing.
My car is a mk3 golf cab 92 plate

When installing i had to hard wire all power,gnd and the red wire (can't mine what thats one is) as my head unit did not have the plug for them. hope you understand that bit.

Can't think of anything else apart from it's doing my head with no music in the car.

Offline russ-vdub

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 01 November 2007, 13:44 »
hmmm... i have had that happen to me many a times. when pushin the hu in and it fails, usually leads to something being disconnected. but as you said all the connections are fine it can't be that

i'd deffo have another check of your fuse box, can be some sly ones about that can go untouched. also recheck all your connections. the red wire - i take it you have wired the same as the live (yellow)?

another thing is check that your earth is actually goin to ground..use a multimeter (dvm) to do this..

sorry if this doesn't work then you haven't checked your connections properly..there is so little to go wrong, its usually very straight forward. sorry but i cant help anymore then this

Offline afcbob

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 01 November 2007, 15:40 »
 Right getting some where i wired the red and yellow together also from the loom the brown/red and white/red together. now what happens is it will come on if you put the key on number 1 but as soon as you turn the key any more is goes off.

Is that any help to whats wrong.

Offline russ-vdub

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 01 November 2007, 17:09 »
wait a sec..why have you joined the brown/red +white/white red? dnt start just tryin different combinations or you will blow something!

what do the brown/red +white/red say they are for in manual..that'll help me help you..

Offline afcbob

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 01 November 2007, 18:13 »
the red/white is fuse/rely box then to battery, and brown/red is ignition switch, i tried it that way as when i got my old car before this one thats how someone had it setup so thought i would give it a try.

Offline russ-vdub

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 01 November 2007, 20:04 »
i thought you had hard wired straight from the battery? ignore the red/white..brown/red should go straight to the red from the hu and no where else..if you want the hu to function without the having the ignition on, wire the red from the hu to the cable run from the battery..dont use the red/white wire, thats whats causing all the problems

Offline afcbob

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 01 November 2007, 21:11 »
I did try hard wire but did not work, but will try again to morn the way you said.

Thanks for all the help.

Offline russ-vdub

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 02 November 2007, 13:10 »
no probs, happy to help..i know what a pig sound systems can be with limited knowledge... hope you get it sorted!