Author Topic: Box size  (Read 1238 times)

Offline afcbob

• Not said much yet
Box size
« on: 29 August 2007, 21:10 »
I'm away to build a sub box in my boot but need to check what min size i need the box to be.

It's a 12" sub 500watts

also what is min space from the back of the box to bottom of the sub i can have.

Offline tommk3cab

• I live here
Re: Box size
« Reply #1 on: 29 August 2007, 21:43 »
each sub is different, it will have size requirements/recomendations.

the back of the sub can be pretty much touching the back of the box really, leave a little gap.

Its the vollume of the box which is important. and area of the port, if your planning on porting it.

whats the make and model number of the sub?

Offline afcbob

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 29 August 2007, 21:46 »
It's a Jackson 12" got it free with a box all ready,

What is porting?

Offline afcbob

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 30 August 2007, 08:23 »
Think it will just be a sealed box as i don't know much about port on a box.

So how do i work out what volume i need  as it will be gong in a wheel arch.
Any help would be great.

Offline Mooby

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 30 August 2007, 10:00 »
I was trying to make a box to go in the wheel arch, but it was too much effort to get it to fit properly (I guess you could use fibreglass or something rather than MDF)  I gave up on that idea and simply threw together a box that roughly followed the shape of the speaker (square cone type thing - a pyramid with the top sliced off :laugh:) and stuffed it with quite a bit of cotton wool.  it sits nicely just behind the seats in the boot, is roughly 13.5" square on the base (Woofer is pointing directly downwards), and the top is around 8" to a side.  I put 'feet' with screws sticking out (spikes!) which make it grip the boot carpet and not slide around.

While I'm sure true audiophiles would point out where it's all terrible, it really doesn't sound all that different to the old box it was in to me now (the stuffing helps a lot).

It's a Mutant 12" sub that I bought with a box and an amp included as a package.

I'm not sure if you'll get anywhere near the 'Correct' volume with it being behind the wheel arch for a 12" sub. I know people have done it with 10" ones (there's a thread around here somewhere...)  but I think a 12" is just too large to do.

I desperately need the bootspace because Will become a daddy in 2 months time, and couldn't fit a pushchair in the boot with the old sub, and removing the sub would leave me without the bass... which sucks of course.

Of course, I'm not bothered about how it looks to be honest, since I'm listening to it, not looking at it, so it isn't as neat as squeezing it in behind the wheel arch.  Depends on your goals really. :smiley:
Sold the VR6... Now officially An Old Man With A Passat Estate.  At least it's a 1.8T :grin:

Offline afcbob

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 30 August 2007, 10:15 »
I already have a box for it but wanting it out the way hence way it's going in the wheel arch. I do plan to do it with fiber glass.

Offline e11ie

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 30 August 2007, 10:19 »
The Jl Site has a load of tutorials on the subject but i found it got really tech n it totally lost me!  :shocked: :laugh:

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=127

I made a fibreglass one for my boot and didn't really bother about the precise size and ports and techy stuff, i just made sure it was all sealed and stuffed it with sponge!

As ^^^ says. I'm sure all the tech wizards would probably sigh and shake their heads but it sounds good to me and I can't tell any difference!  :smiley:

Plus i've got 6x9's in there too  :rolleyes: naughty me  :grin:

Offline Mooby

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 30 August 2007, 12:14 »
I haven't even bothered Carpeting mine or anything... it's just bare MDF apart from the bottom bit (which I cut out of the original box because I couldn't be arsed to cut out a perfectly sized round hole  :laugh:  I might do it sometime though... 
Sold the VR6... Now officially An Old Man With A Passat Estate.  At least it's a 1.8T :grin: