Author Topic: Sub advice  (Read 1479 times)

Offline Asbo Sovfinger

• GTI forum regular
  • I drink your milkshake!!
Sub advice
« on: 20 August 2009, 18:35 »
Hey all

Can anyone tell me which direction to go in with an amp and sub to get a nice, tight punchy sound with as little 'flabbiness' as possible. 

I'm slowly working my way through the audio in my MK3 and trying to upgrade one bit at a time.  At the moment, I've got a Pioneer HU (DEH-6100P) that came with the car, it sounds pretty good for now but will be replaced with something more flexible input wise (USB, iPOO'D etc).  I've run the loom for a cd changer but when you read the rest it'll tell you it's not yet installed.

It looks like there's some aftermarket speakers in the front doorcards, as they're not the delightful papercones supplied by VW but no identifying marks on them, some 17cm Fli speakers in the rear doorcard (it's only a 3dr but couldn't think what else to call it), that I got cheap and the standard front and rear tweeters.  It sounds ok to me at the moment, but want to give it some balls. 

I was given an amp and ported sub-box but the amp blew while installing it.  Was very old kenwood and the guy who gave it to me couldn't be 100% it was working when he took it out of his last car, but free so hey ho.  The sub is an old Kicker KSR-8 (I think) and takes up too much room in the boot as I move a lot of wood and tools to and from my workshop, so really want to carry out the wheel arch build stickied on here.  I plan to do 2 arch builds and mount the cd changer and amp on the opposite side to the sub to give me as much boot space as possible.

I have been talking to a man about a dog to try and get a cheap amp so don't really much else to tell you on that front, but what's the best size sub speaker to get for an arch build when I want tight bass notes and what sort of power am I looking to get from the amp?   :undecided: :undecided:

I listen to a mixture of Metal, Hip Hop and occasional breaks/BND etc etc (loving the mixes being posted on here guys, so keep them coming).

Thanks in advance for any and all help, advice and sarcasm.

Asbo   :evil:
'06 Ford Mondeo ST TDCi estate - Machine Silver with full leather Recaro interior (Black)

Offline B-chi

• I live here
Re: Sub advice
« Reply #1 on: 21 August 2009, 08:26 »
How loud do you want it?

Are you after out an out bass or more sq.

If you were to go for maybe 2x8s or 2x10s sealed off between 300-700w between them. You wouldn't put too much strain on power system & they'd take up next to no space at all. You could put 2 amps in the spare wheel. 1 for full range & 1 for subs.

I personally prefer only having front speakers but alot on here will say to go for front & back. Preference at the end of the day. Even though there wrong, lol. I hope that's taken how it's meant!

What's your budget?

Jbl are the king of budget equipment atm.

Offline Asbo Sovfinger

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 21 August 2009, 09:32 »
Thanks for getting back to me.

I don't want it to go majorly loud - it's only for listening to when driving won't be showing or anything like that.  I was thinking possibly one 10/12" in the rear arch to fill out the sound and give it some nuts, running from a 150/200w mono amp.

Not sure I want to go down the route of a floor mounted sub as I do tend to have a load of stuff in my boot.

Don't really have too much of a budget as getting hitched in November so the pennies are being pinched. 

I've seen a pair of new JBL 10" (500w) subs on fleabay for £35 which seemed pretty good to me and just need to source a suitable amp.  If I can find the money, which with my missus in control of the majority of the budget it unlikely, the same company are offering the 2 JBL's, with a Orion Cobalt amp and 8 gauge wiring kit for £90.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350103893874&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230355850219&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Don't know if that'll help with any advice but just trying to get a feel of the different ways people might go if they were in the position I'm in.
'06 Ford Mondeo ST TDCi estate - Machine Silver with full leather Recaro interior (Black)

Offline B-chi

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 21 August 2009, 22:01 »
The smaller the sub, the less space the enclosure takes up. Simples.

But the better the enclosure the better the sound. Sealed will take less space than ported but won't play as loud or as low (as ported can sound when tuned appropriately). I prefer ported to sealed as I like low wobbly bass.

Best thing you can do is have a listen to a few different installs & see which type of sound you prefer.

More than welcome to have a listen to mine.

Offline Asbo Sovfinger

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 21 August 2009, 22:39 »
Think I need to get myself along to a friendly meet and ask a load of questions. Will check the forum calendar for the next event I can make and go from there.

I know what you mean about ported enclosures but I'm really looking just to fill out the sound and don't really like the wobbly bass sound but prefer something tight and resonant.

Thanks for the advice thoughn will keep investigating and will say hello at whichever meet we're both at.

Offline B-chi

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 22 August 2009, 09:41 »
Single 10 or 12, sealed off 500w, comps up front running off of 75w.

Sound deaden the doors it'll sound pretty good bud.

Offline chrisford_vw

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 22 August 2009, 22:41 »
Thanks for getting back to me.

I don't want it to go majorly loud - it's only for listening to when driving won't be showing or anything like that.  I was thinking possibly one 10/12" in the rear arch to fill out the sound and give it some nuts, running from a 150/200w mono amp.

Not sure I want to go down the route of a floor mounted sub as I do tend to have a load of stuff in my boot.

Don't really have too much of a budget as getting hitched in November so the pennies are being pinched. 

I've seen a pair of new JBL 10" (500w) subs on fleabay for £35 which seemed pretty good to me and just need to source a suitable amp.  If I can find the money, which with my missus in control of the majority of the budget it unlikely, the same company are offering the 2 JBL's, with a Orion Cobalt amp and 8 gauge wiring kit for £90.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350103893874&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230355850219&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Don't know if that'll help with any advice but just trying to get a feel of the different ways people might go if they were in the position I'm in.
The company selling them is a local (to me) and are pretty good give them a ring or email and ask for some advice