Author Topic: Stained alloys  (Read 947 times)

Offline rheady

• Here all the time
Stained alloys
« on: 25 June 2011, 08:43 »
How or what is the best way to get rid of staining on my alloys. It's not so much a brake dust but a brown staining. When I wash the car they never really seem to get as clean as I'd like. Should I clay them and use SRP or is there something that would cut through it easier. I've tried tar remover but it failed.

Cheers

Steve

Offline butler2.8i

• GTI forum regular
Re: Stained alloys
« Reply #1 on: 25 June 2011, 21:09 »
Hi Steve, you could try clay or Autosmart tardis as the staining could be a build up of tar.

Offline waxamomo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #2 on: 25 June 2011, 21:20 »
Could you post a picture for us to have a look at, should be able to sort it, just need to see it really  :wink:

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 25 June 2011, 22:10 »
Think I know what you mean. Its just like baked on dirt and brake dust. Have it on mine but I'm spraying them up at the moment, and first step was to scub with hot soapy water using a scouring pad which has removed them. Obviously dont do that as you will remove the top coat, but you may need some sort of cleaning compound with slight abrasives in if nothing else seems to work. Sure someone can recommend something along those lines as I dont have a clue sorry!
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |