Author Topic: Various detailing questions  (Read 974 times)

Offline Big Tone

• I live here
Various detailing questions
« on: 16 April 2011, 17:26 »
After having my first go with a rotary, I have some questions.

What I have done is;

Wash
Clay
Wash
Touched up paint/stone chips
sand down
polish up - Megs 84 and 80

The questions I have are;

1. When touching up the paint, how/when do I apply the clear coat?

2. I have tried 1200grade wet and dry, some small marks remain, 2000 or 4000 grade?

3. What is the best way to remove "spattered" polish from the paintwork after polishing as not to leave any marks?

I will definately say that there is a skill to this, apart from practicing, is there any way to "learn"? i.e a course?

****FOR SALE**** 11 Months MOT, 5 Months Tax - 1.8T AUM, Stage 1 map, Lowered 35mm on Jamex Springs, Smoothed Airbox, Pipercross Panel, Forge 007P, N249 Bypass, Silicon Breather Hoses,Silicon Vac Hoses, Top Mounts & Bushes All Round, Catch Can Install,  New Discs and Pads All Round, A Big Sub, A SH*TLOAD of Polishing and A Thirst For V-POWER! Profile/msg for info!

Offline tg1

• I live here
Re: Various detailing questions
« Reply #1 on: 17 April 2011, 08:52 »
1: i left it a few days so the paint had a chance to harden properly. wont give tips on how to do it as mine wasn't the best jpb tbh

2: try 2000, should be able to polish out the worst of the marks after this. if not try 3000

3: use less in the first place, your using too much if you are getting splatter. or try and keep it to just the flatter panels

hope that helps

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
« Reply #2 on: 17 April 2011, 11:26 »
take a look at my scratch repair thread in the stickys
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!

Offline Big Tone

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 17 April 2011, 13:27 »
Cheers Guys,

I think I am making the pad too moist with water, just want to avoid hopping.

Practice makes perfect me thinks.

Scratch repair sticky - This is what spurred me on, nice one! :grin:

****FOR SALE**** 11 Months MOT, 5 Months Tax - 1.8T AUM, Stage 1 map, Lowered 35mm on Jamex Springs, Smoothed Airbox, Pipercross Panel, Forge 007P, N249 Bypass, Silicon Breather Hoses,Silicon Vac Hoses, Top Mounts & Bushes All Round, Catch Can Install,  New Discs and Pads All Round, A Big Sub, A SH*TLOAD of Polishing and A Thirst For V-POWER! Profile/msg for info!

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
« Reply #4 on: 17 April 2011, 14:42 »
glad to hear it  :wink:

what pad are you using? a finishing pad is best as its not aggressive so will give you a bit of play when buffing over the painted area, you only need a couple of small spritz on the pad to prime it :wink:

to remove splattered polish just spray with some water and gently wipe across the surface and turn your cloth as you go, no vigorous rubbing, spray and wipe.
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!