Author Topic: Steering issues (torque steer?)  (Read 381 times)

Offline adekil

• GTI forum regular
Steering issues (torque steer?)
« on: 30 March 2024, 07:55 »
Hi all,

This issue is new to me and just googled some info which came up with the term torque steering which I never heard of before and certainly never had on my MK7.5

When accelerating hard the car steers left which is quite scary so have to take foot off accelerator and compensate to get back into my lane or straighten up.

This is odd for me as this car doesn't accelerate as quickly as my mk7.5 (from standstill and whilst on the move) and feels less lively so wondering if this is a fault somewhere or something I will just have to live with?

Steering sometimes seems to move by itself when not accelerating hard as well, just normal driving and almost like lane assist is still activated but its not.

any advice would be appreciated
Current(2024): MK8 Golf R, Pure White, RV Camera & 19" Estoril Diamond Cut

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Steering issues (torque steer?)
« Reply #1 on: 30 March 2024, 08:58 »
I've experienced similar tbh.

My guess is that it's something to do with vdm.

If you can reproduce the event consistently, try turning esc to sport or off... That cured another weird thing I was getting.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 30 March 2024, 10:24 »
I had this exact thing. My Clubsport also would pull left if I centered the wheel even on the opposite side of the road so it wasn’t the built in road camber causing it.

Check all your tires perfectly match. Mine didnt from factory. Somehow unmatching tyres were on my front axle. When I replaced the ‘odd’ tyre the issue immediately stopped.
Currently: MK8 GTI Clubsport - DCC - Reflex Silver - Adelaide 19"s - Rear Camera

Previous: 3x MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 30 March 2024, 12:30 »
My Clubsport had a touch of torque steer when accelerating hard on cambered roads but my R definitely doesn’t seem to.
What tyre pressures are you running?

The steering moving by itself is likely the VDM as fredgroves suggests. There were a few sections of road that would make my Clubsport twitch even at well under 30mph when the radar and whatever system the car uses to anticipate bends or roundabouts detected something it wasn’t happy with. One particular bend was a 90° left hander with a sudden dip, directly ahead where it bends is a main line railway track and the other side of that is sea water (well, estuary water which may or may not be salty) with yachts bobbing about. The car really didn’t like the immediate approach to that bend, if the car was a cat it would have had major tail bushing going on. Any other car I’ve been in just went round it normally.
Other than that both my mk8’s seem to have very stable and predictable steering, in fact I’d list it as one of the car’s best features.
Was your old 7.5 GTI nitrous powered by any chance adekil? 😁
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline adekil

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 30 March 2024, 13:37 »

Was your old 7.5 GTI nitrous powered by any chance adekil? 😁

LOL - it was an R but acceleration was instant in the 7.5, really loved how you'd take off from standstill, in the MK8 it feels flat for a few seconds before it kicks in, maybe the car is more refined or still needs loosening up as only done around 800 miles.

Will check tyre pressure later and hopefully this is the issue so thanks all for suggesting this... will report back
Current(2024): MK8 Golf R, Pure White, RV Camera & 19" Estoril Diamond Cut

Offline The_Doc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 30 March 2024, 14:50 »
I also get torque steer in my Clubby, but it’s very predictable and when it happens, a little counter steer and a slight lift and I’m sorted. Test drove an R is some diabolical conditions and hard acceleration in comfort might have had a touch of it, but it was only the once when I got on it hard on a particularly uneven bit of road.
Current - MK8 CS - Dolphin Grey, DCC, Black Estoril, Rear Camera, Sunroof, Winter Pack, Harmon Kardon

Previous and sorely missed - MK7.5 GTI Perf, Indium Grey, Brescias, Art Velours, Rear Camera