Author Topic: Smeargate and no, nothing to do with politics..  (Read 3610 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Smeargate and no, nothing to do with politics..
« on: 11 November 2015, 13:51 »
Washed my car this morning and thought, rather than dry it properly, I'll give it a quick blast down the road to get the worst of it off. Result, dried water stains all over. So, gave it a good going over with some QD (Bouncers) and now I have a very clean but also very smeary car with remnants of water stains all over :angry:

So, how can I sort this mess out? Or will it get sorted by washing again?

Fed up from west London.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: Smeargate and no, nothing to do with politics..
« Reply #1 on: 11 November 2015, 15:36 »
Washing it again will get rid of quite a lot of the marks I expect.  CarPro Eraser is suppposd to be good for removing water spots, so maybe try some of that on any remaining after the next wash.

The moral of the story is........always dry your car properly with good microfibre towels such as WoWo!
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 11 November 2015, 15:49 »
I have got a mf towel (WoWo naturally), was just trying to cut corners. It's tricky at this time of the year to have both time and the weather on your side.

Thanks for the reply and the tip.

Not sure where things are going wrong with the smearing, I had trouble buffing off the wax I applied a few weeks ago. Could there be too much build up of products on the paint? Or am I just not putting enough effort in?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 11 November 2015, 16:23 »
Perhaps you are applying too much product when you use them? A lot of car cleaning products spread really well and the idea with wax especially is to get as thin and even a coat as possible.

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 11 November 2015, 17:27 »
Thanks seabrook, I was being careful with the amount used but perhaps not careful enough. I'll leave well alone now until the next wash.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 11 November 2015, 21:11 »
As Dan says, the smearing does suggest too much wax may have been used. You only need the thinnest layer of any kind of wax, be it hard, paste or liquid.  Finish kare is paste wax and although liquid and paste waxes are generally easier to apply, it also makes it easier to put too much on.  Much harder to put too much of a hard wax on, because, well because it's harder!

If you ever apply a paste or liquid wax using a DA, you'll see just how thin and even a layer goes on via the finishing pad.  It's a great lesson in exactly how little wax is needed and is then very easy to buff off by hand with a MF.  Not possible to apply hard wax with a DA.

After you next wash the car, go round and give it a really good buffing to try and shift any still on. If you are still having issues after that, I would remove the wax which you can strip off with a very concentrated shampoo wash and start again, being very sparing with it next time round.  Good luck and let us know how you get on.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 11 November 2015, 21:13 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 11 November 2015, 21:55 »
Thanks for the comprehensive reply. I agree, I think the wax is where it all went wrong and today was just revealing an existing problem. I'll leave the waxing alone now 'til next year, there's plenty of protection on the car for winter and I don't seem to be improving things :grin:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: 12 November 2015, 07:40 »
Morning

Just going back to the rinse and drive drying method, although using a wowo drying towel is obviously the best  :grin: I've often done the rinse and drive method, especially of you know that within an hour of finishing the car its gonna belt it down! However I add a small amount of rinse aid to a watering can, rinse and then do the drive and water spots have never been an issue tbh.

I know that some people don't like it but I use demon shine which is on the 2 for 1 offer @ Halfords and it works a treat.

With regard the wax, as said, I think you may have applied too much. In my experience less is more and better to do it twice that have a nightmare once.

Cheers

Neil

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 12 November 2015, 10:34 »
I add a small amount of rinse aid to a watering can, rinse and then do the drive and water spots have never been an issue tbh.

Good tip, thanks Neil. I may treat myself to another of your lovely drying towels too as one isn't really enough for the whole car. Partly why I went for the quick drive.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 12 November 2015, 10:56 »
Are you rinsing the car with an open hose?

Doing this from the top down will 'sheet' the water off, leaving much less to dry with the towel. Some people still spray the car to rinse it, leaving it covered in water beads that will A- soak the drying towel in no time, and B- dry on their own leaving water marks, as you will not have time to dry the car quickly enough due to A.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.