Author Topic: reidtastic - black GTI performance project  (Read 33896 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
reidtastic - black GTI performance project
« on: 30 January 2010, 10:59 »
:)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline reidtastic

• Not said much yet
Re: reidtastic - black GTI performance project
« Reply #1 on: 30 January 2010, 14:58 »
Thanks JV for starting the Post  :smiley:

Hi, My name is Bryan and after a long break from owning golfs i thought it was time for a return !
In the past ive owned a lovely black MK2 Gti and a Mk4 1.8T running 230bhp and a few subtle stying tweaks with Coilovers, which i loved.
Since then ive been busy buying some of munichs finest M cars

My Last Car - 2nd M3

Anyhoo, I sold this due to the cost of modifications sprialing out of control and decided to buy something that was going to be cheaper to modify (Or so i thought), Step in the MK5 Golf gti.

Anyway after looking at a few GTIs that were absolute Dogs, i decided that the only must haves were standard tartan seats and AC, (poverty spec) this way i could concentrate on securing a really good example. In Mid December i secured my self a perfect, unmarked example, late 06, 36k, standard GTI, with a two year warranty which had been run on time and distance servicing :smiley:

So i now had a perfect car which i plan on keeping for at least 5 years and modding up without compromise, my plans are to improve the looks via subtle stying improvements too maintain an OEM look, aswell as to create a degree of performance that will rival my Old M3s, and still peform well on the road but blitZ the track.

My original budget was £3k for modifications all in. One month in to the project ive went a bit over budget :shocked:, although i now own all of the chassis, brake, interior and exterior Modifications ready to fit  :smug:
Although due to work commitments over the next few weeks, im going to need to wait until i get a some spare time to get these bits fitted :evil:

I will update ths topic regularly and  hopefully ill have all this fitted by April meaning that it will be time for the next stage Performance !!

« Last Edit: 30 January 2010, 15:40 by reidtastic »

Offline reidtastic

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 31 January 2010, 14:07 »
Ive finally got round to fitting my first mod, OEM Monza 2s. I decided to go with the monza 2s due to them looking great on the car and the fact i wanted to keep the OEM offset as i would be fitting a BBK and coilovers this ensuring that i would not get any rubbing issues at my desired ride height. There were a few aftermarket wheels that i liked, but i couldnt find any of these with an offset higher than 45......  :sad:

The 18" monzas i recieved from ebay were in good condition with no kerbing although suffered from milking, so a recondtion was on the cards. As much as i like the oem finish, i decided that the cost and maintenance wasnt worth it so i decided to go for a painted finish that would replicate the Mk6 GTI monzas. This was done in a shadow chome finish where the wheel inners were painted black and the outsides flashed with silver, giving the shadow effect

As good a job as the painters done, i wasnt happy that they had decided to coat the hub face in paint so i had too take  this to my work and buff of the excess

so after this was recified it was off with the 17s and on with the 18s, a large helping of coppaslip, new OEM centre caps, Goodyear eagle F1s and some nice new Locking wheel nuts   :smiley:

« Last Edit: 31 January 2010, 14:20 by reidtastic »

Offline reidtastic

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 16 February 2010, 21:56 »
I intended to spend the day fitting bits and pieces today but the frost meant it was going to be a bit difficult to fit the badges and split the lights so i just done a couple of bits and bobs.

Firstly i always wanted a black VW badge for the front of the car but seen this which was pretty rare, and thought it would suit the front end of the car better than plain black item

also ive never liked the massive standard ariel on the mk5 so it was off with this and on with the OEM sharan item (although it did require some cutting to ensure the perfect fit )

i think this has tidyed up the roof line perfectly and should be on everyones mod list, especially at only £8

Offline reidtastic

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 21 February 2010, 18:32 »
Anyway today was a really nice day and i should off really done some of my exterior mods, but i didnt have much time on my hands so i decided to finish the interior off.

I always liked the interior and thought it was a nice place to be so i didnt want to go overboard, so i decided to just fit a couple of things.

1) Aluminium climatronic surrounds
2) Trim mounted 106 gti red badge
3) Dimpled aluminium mirror adjuster
4) Poppy coral
5) Aluminium GTi seat inlays
6) Carbon Fibre Tax disk Holder

When i was in the middle of doing this i left the car door open and went in the house to get a cloth to clean the window, when i came back there was a cat doing a piss on my seat  the bugger managed to jump out the car and just past my foot before i could made contact with it, lucky little ba5tard, anyway this added an extra 2 hours on to my fitting time to clean up its piss and footprints that were all over the seats.

got to say my Fav mods today have to be the climatronic surrounds, and Red GTI badge they really draw the eye and set off the interior. Im really happy with the inside now and i think all parts work well together to brighten up the cabin even the poppy coral makes a big differance IMO 

Offline reidtastic

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 23 February 2010, 20:57 »
Ok i had a bit of spare time today so i removed the front and rear GTI badges and replaced them with the red anniversary rabbit items, I initially fitted the rear rabbit badge although i wasnt feeling it so i removed it and just left it with the GTI letering

I also removed the fog lights and lamin Xd them. I went for the yellow euro look which i think looks   :cool:

I also replaced all bulbs with osram nightbreakers and phillips bluevision (sidelights). The visability has improved although i thought the light colour would of been a crisper white, unfortuanatly this isnt the case

Next week its custom mirrors, inpros and R32 rear lights.
Id also like to add that i bought the car in december and ive still not washed it yet, it seems to be holding up pretty well considdering the weather we have had

Offline reidtastic

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 01 March 2010, 20:18 »
At the weekend i fitted my boot protector from bootbuddy, it is made from thick plastic so will protect the inside of my boot from the damage that could be caused from jamming my mountain bike in and also my manky dog. It is a great fit and easy to move in and out once it is put together. Im really happy with it although at £100+, I should be. (Didnt actually realise it was that expensive untill it arrived)  :embarassed:

Anyways, time for some mods. On saturday i fully dismantled my both mirrors and fitted smoked inpro side blinkers, It was a bit of a fiddly task on the first mirror which took me approx 1.30 hours, although this did include a thourough clean of the internals, red line customising, removing the rub strip from the OEM blinker & transfering it to the inpros, regresing the heated mirror earth slider point and cleaning and lubing all electrical contacts as they were corroded. The second mirror took about 45mins, although now i know how its done i reccon it should only take 20 mins to fit both. 

Continuing the red line theme on the front of the car, i added the red coach lines to the wing mirror shells, which i think looks  :cool:.
This is something that ive not seen done before and i think its worked well.  Im also glad the white blinkers are away as they dont flatter on black at all. Im really happy with the way things are going and dont want to over do it, Ive got 3 more visual mods to fit and then its off to star P for some performance parts to be fitted.

« Last Edit: 01 March 2010, 20:24 by reidtastic »

Offline reidtastic

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 16 March 2010, 18:26 »
Well at the start of golf ownership, i hated the big red blob lights at the rear of the car, but over time i have actually started to like them, thus delaying the addition of the R32 rears.
Today i decided to go for it and fit the r32s rears, they are deffo a big improvement over standard on black cars and i love them ! 

The only thing now is im not sure about the rear end with these fitted . I think it doesnt look right and im thinking its the VW badge. I liked the silver VW badge with the silver GTI badge but now the addition of the r32 lights and red gti badge makes it look out of place.

My options were go back to standard silver badges or try and remove and paint the rear badge. I decided the later so i removed the rear badge today (without breaking any clips  ) to give me an idea of how it would look.

From this i think it would look better in black, so im going to rub it down and paint it satin black tonight !

Another modification i done today was fill up the tyres with air which has been my best mod yet !  :rolleyes:

I might even wash it soon

Offline reidtastic

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 23 March 2010, 17:09 »
Badge keyed, painted, hardend and fitted. Sorry about the i phone pics :sick:

This makes the back end look a bit harder IMO

Offline reidtastic

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 18 April 2010, 14:57 »
A little update, the car has had a lot of work done over the last few days

KW coilovers
Eibach ARBs
WALK
AP Racing brakes
VWR Lower Mount
Blue Flame Exhaust

The car has only been dropped 20-25mm on the coilovers and the arbs are set to hard on the rears, its hard for me to tell exactly what differance which item has made, but this cars handeling is absolutly amazing now, it just corners and grips ! understeer has been improved no end, the damping is superb and and im surprised that the ride quality hasnt suffered to badly either. The car still handles very neutal with the ARB settings and if you lift of mid corner in the dry you can feel the cars rear end starting to tug like it wants to break free but it still just stays nicly in line ! The steering has also been improved all you need to do is just turn the wheel a fraction and the car istantly reacts !, moves over and turns in without drama or body roll !
it really has been a stunning transformation !

The APs Pro 5000 are amazing, my best mod yet with out a doubt ! they are so powerfull and just stop the car with out you even realising that they are working. These are so controlable and managable, i really cant think how it would be possible to improve these on the mk5 chassis they are just perfect and so well ballanced.

The engine mount also has seemed to tighten things up, its hard to explain, but the the acceleration feels .............more solid? with a better uptake, there is more vibration and feel through the pedals but no more virbration noises ? its hard to put in to words but the car feels differant and crisper if you know what i mean

The car has changed for the good, its harder more focused and in all honestly i cant think of anything id rather be driving, its coming on a treat and hopefully will be finshed pretty soon !

Ill put up some pics of the blue flame tomorrow i forgot all bout it in the driving exitment ( Even though its prtty hard to forget about )

« Last Edit: 18 April 2010, 15:01 by reidtastic »