Author Topic: VW Car insurance  (Read 11701 times)

Offline CraigW

• I live here
Re: VW Car insurance
« Reply #10 on: 13 September 2013, 22:53 »
Has anyone taken out full comprehensive car insurance from VW? What could they provide that is better than any other insurance company?

What do you mean? They are not going to provide anything over and above normal insurance. If anything they will probably be more expensive.

Or are you perhaps talking about the 7 day cover?

Am not talking about the 7 day I mean the full 12 month insurance. I have a mate who bought a Jag and he got his insurance through Jag and got himself a few perks hence I wanted to know if VW do something similar.

I very much doubt it. What perks did your mate get?

He got guaranteed all genuine Jag parts with any repairs and a Jag courtesy car when car is being repaired.

You would get all genuine VW parts when your car is clattered if you insisted upon it, it's pretty much a given when a car is under warranty and you can insist on on it even out of warranty. If you were getting the car repaired by a VW dealer's repair shop you'd get a VW courtesy car too (probably an UP! or a low spec Polo) - Jag don't do little cheap cars so I suppose you're always guaranteed a good courtesy car.

Not necessarily, you could end up with a Tata  :grin: :grin:

Offline Misterp

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 14 September 2013, 00:31 »
VW insurance is Allianz. I was quoted £742 and my best quote on the comparison sites is £274 with Esure.

Where the hell do you guys live. The cheapest I got was 700
Golf GTD mk7 DSG pearl black - collected 25 September 2013.

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #12 on: 14 September 2013, 00:38 »
VW insurance is Allianz. I was quoted £742 and my best quote on the comparison sites is £274 with Esure.

Cambridge and I'm £250 for the GTI or £275 for the M135i both with Esure.

Access to second car in household
Garage
SDP and Commute to factory car park
12k miles per year
28yo
No convictions etc etc
8yrs NCB

Frankly little of the above makes any real difference.  Esure are always cheap and virtually everyone else always comes out at many ££££ more.  I've also heard Admiral is good for these cars too.

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 14 September 2013, 00:43 »
I'm with admiral on one of the multicar policies. Think I'm paying about £220 with 15 yrs NCB  :smiley:

Offline Misterp

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 14 September 2013, 01:33 »
Birmingham is just extortionate for car insurance.
Golf GTD mk7 DSG pearl black - collected 25 September 2013.

Offline firefly125

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 14 September 2013, 07:21 »
I got quote of £220 with total excess of £150 i bet it wont cover me for 1st year new for old tho  :sad:e sure or Sheila's wheels lol , i'am in lincolnshire which might be the reason it's cheap ?

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 14 September 2013, 09:15 »
£400 for me but £300 for the missus with me as a named driver. That's Direct Line. I still keep my no claims etc. Quite why she's £100 cheaper I have no idea as we're the same age  :rolleyes:
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 14 September 2013, 11:07 »

That's with 3 recently acquired points too, £232 without them. VW prices seemed to have freefalled in Tyne and Wear for me over the last 3 years - Scirocco 170TDI Nov 11 = £480, Scirocco 170TDI Nov 12 = £360, GTD Sep 13 = £232 (without points). In that period i've been at least 9 years NCD, so no extra discounts for that.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 14 September 2013, 11:23 »
I wouldn't touch Admiral group (Admiral/Churchill/Elephant) with a bargepole. You never know how good your insurance company is until you try to make a claim.

My 07 170TDI MK5 Golf was clattered by a bus at 2 weeks old (was 12 feet from where I parked it when I arrived back at the car from picking up a takeaway). Car was lawfully parked. Clear cut case of non fault, bus company did not dispute it. Then Albany assistance (the legal cover) went into overdrive. Provided me a basic 1.9TDI SE Golf and charged the bus company £78 a day for it . I had to sign some bollocks to say I was liable to pay if the settlement costs were refused and went to court, then judged extortionate. I got a free insurance policy to cover my liability. My car was given to Benfield body shop. They got all parts in after a week, then sat on it for 5 weeks without starting the job (I suspect on the instruction of Albany insurance so they could fill their pockets with the car hire costs) I kicked up a stink and it was then done within 2 weeks, to a woeful standard (it was pissing with rain and dark on pick up so I didn't notice how bad it was until the following morning with metal shards in the car, oily handprints on the headlining, a dangerous brake fault and items that had been in the car were missing (I pulled them on that on pickup - they said they would look for my stuff - never found).

You hear all the time about fraudulent whiplash claims forcing insurance up, but the insurance company do all they can to screw the other side for as much as they can get with ridiculous hire costs. 3 weeks after my car's return my renewal was due - it had almost doubled from £450 to £850 for a non fault claim that resulted in no loss of NCD. I didn't stick with Elephant.

When my Scirocco got hit by a car under similar circumstances (I was in it this time, parked up, waiting outside wor lass' place of work), it was a Churchill driver. Funnily enough they rang me before the tow truck arrived to offer me a courtesy car and avoid the opportunity of being shafted by my insurance. I was given a £50k Merc M-class courtesy car but my neck was too wrecked to drive it for 2 weeks.  :sad:
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline EpicUsername

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 14 September 2013, 16:29 »
I wouldn't touch Admiral group (Admiral/Churchill/Elephant) with a bargepole. You never know how good your insurance company is until you try to make a claim.

My 07 170TDI MK5 Golf was clattered by a bus at 2 weeks old (was 12 feet from where I parked it when I arrived back at the car from picking up a takeaway). Car was lawfully parked. Clear cut case of non fault, bus company did not dispute it. Then Albany assistance (the legal cover) went into overdrive. Provided me a basic 1.9TDI SE Golf and charged the bus company £78 a day for it . I had to sign some nuts to say I was liable to pay if the settlement costs were refused and went to court, then judged extortionate. I got a free insurance policy to cover my liability. My car was given to Benfield body shop. They got all parts in after a week, then sat on it for 5 weeks without starting the job (I suspect on the instruction of Albany insurance so they could fill their pockets with the car hire costs) I kicked up a stink and it was then done within 2 weeks, to a woeful standard (it was pissing with rain and dark on pick up so I didn't notice how bad it was until the following morning with metal shards in the car, oily handprints on the headlining, a dangerous brake fault and items that had been in the car were missing (I pulled them on that on pickup - they said they would look for my stuff - never found).

You hear all the time about fraudulent whiplash claims forcing insurance up, but the insurance company do all they can to screw the other side for as much as they can get with ridiculous hire costs. 3 weeks after my car's return my renewal was due - it had almost doubled from £450 to £850 for a non fault claim that resulted in no loss of NCD. I didn't stick with Elephant.

When my Scirocco got hit by a car under similar circumstances (I was in it this time, parked up, waiting outside wor lass' place of work), it was a Churchill driver. Funnily enough they rang me before the tow truck arrived to offer me a courtesy car and avoid the opportunity of being shafted by my insurance. I was given a £50k Merc M-class courtesy car but my neck was too wrecked to drive it for 2 weeks.  :sad:

I don't go near Admiral either. Even if they show up as the cheapest on comparison sites.

My story isn't quite as bad as yours. When my S2000 was up for renewal Admiral quoted £200 up from the previous year. I canceled the policy but they decided to debit the money anyway. Then they had the cheek to try and charge me 20 odd quid when I phoned them for "administrative fees" which I point blank refused to pay. I got my money back and thought that was the end of it until a week later I got a letter through saying £120 or there abouts was getting taken from my account. No explanation why, just a letter telling me they were taking the money "just because"  :grin:

I phoned them back and told them if they so much as debited a penny from me, I'd skip right by Citizens Advice and The Trading Standards Agency and take them straight to the Small Claims Court. Not only would I get my money back, I'd also pursue legal action for making me take time off work and causing undue stress. Funnily enough I got an apology and never heard from them again!!!