Author Topic: 2018 GTD DSG Auto Hold Question  (Read 1100 times)

Offline Wugga

• Not said much yet
2018 GTD DSG Auto Hold Question
« on: 08 March 2024, 11:25 »
Hi all hope your well ?

Just a quick question - the auto hold feature should this hold the car when stopped on a very steep gradient when moving from a parked position ? 

only asking as i had parked on a hill (literally vertical) and applied the electric handbrake - got out and picked up my parcel - returned to car seat belt on - started car -  foot on the brake pedal both auto hold and handbrake lights were on. moved stick to Drive

My assumption is when i take my foot off the brake pedal and then release the handbrake the auto hold function should hold the car so i can then press the accelerator and pull off ? but my car started to roll back and i had to add the hb back on and put foot on the brake pedal !  could this be that the hill was too steep and it couldn't handle the gradient ? maybe id put it into reverse n didn't realise ? or is there something else that would had caused this ? 

i may go back to the same hill and see if it happens again

look forward to your replys !
VW BORA TDI 2004 (Black)
VW GOLF GTI 2002 (Black)
VW GOLF GT TDI 2005 (Grey)
VW GOLF GTI 2009 (Silver)
VW GOLF GTD 2018 (Black)

Offline matthewh

• Not said much yet
Re: 2018 GTD DSG Auto Hold Question
« Reply #1 on: 08 March 2024, 14:22 »
Hi all hope your well ?

Just a quick question - the auto hold feature should this hold the car when stopped on a very steep gradient when moving from a parked position ? 

only asking as i had parked on a hill (literally vertical) and applied the electric handbrake - got out and picked up my parcel - returned to car seat belt on - started car -  foot on the brake pedal both auto hold and handbrake lights were on. moved stick to Drive

My assumption is when i take my foot off the brake pedal and then release the handbrake the auto hold function should hold the car so i can then press the accelerator and pull off ? but my car started to roll back and i had to add the hb back on and put foot on the brake pedal !  could this be that the hill was too steep and it couldn't handle the gradient ? maybe id put it into reverse n didn't realise ? or is there something else that would had caused this ? 

i may go back to the same hill and see if it happens again

look forward to your replys !

So auto hold is used to hold the car when transitioning from brakes to the accelerator, at for example traffic lights or a junction, my assumption is as you release the handbrake then the auto hold wouldn't be active until braking again if that makes sense.
Current:
2000 Rover Mini Cooper Sports Pack
2016 VW GTI Clubsport S - #250
2019 VW Caddy 2.0 TDI
2020 Mini John Cooper Works GP - #2166

Gone:
2015 Ford Fiesta ST
2010 VW Polo GTI

Offline Wugga

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 08 March 2024, 14:46 »
so its not gonna hold on a steep hill/gradient then ?
VW BORA TDI 2004 (Black)
VW GOLF GTI 2002 (Black)
VW GOLF GTD 2018 (Black)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 08 March 2024, 14:52 »
I think where you are going wrong is you are doing something with the handbrake, there is no need, once set up you need never touch it again. Make sure both are engaged and when you stop it'll engage and when you go to pull away it will switch off. You'll see the handbrake light will be green on the dash when you stop at a junction etc and will go red when you park up. Have a look at your handbook and familiarise yourself. As I said before, if it's all set up correctly you shouldn't even need to think about it let alone do anything.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Wugga

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 08 March 2024, 15:13 »
I think where you are going wrong is you are doing something with the handbrake, there is no need, once set up you need never touch it again. Make sure both are engaged and when you stop it'll engage and when you go to pull away it will switch off. You'll see the handbrake light will be green on the dash when you stop at a junction etc and will go red when you park up. Have a look at your handbook and familiarise yourself. As I said before, if it's all set up correctly you shouldn't even need to think about it let alone do anything.

so your saying i dont need to touch the handbrake or the auto hold ?  when pulling from a parked position on a steep hill ?
VW BORA TDI 2004 (Black)
VW GOLF GTI 2002 (Black)
VW GOLF GTD 2018 (Black)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 08 March 2024, 18:23 »
That's right. You do nothing and the car does it all. Get it set up right and forget it. There's a junction where I go on holiday in Yorkshire that's very steep up hill, car copes perfectly.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Wugga

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 11 March 2024, 11:04 »
I noticed it drop out when I had stopped to park I put it in n then the it beeped and the car rolled forward n I had to apply the brakes
VW BORA TDI 2004 (Black)
VW GOLF GTI 2002 (Black)
VW GOLF GTD 2018 (Black)

Offline Wugga

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 11 March 2024, 11:12 »
also when taking my seat belt off and opening the door when parked t doesnt engage either
VW BORA TDI 2004 (Black)
VW GOLF GTI 2002 (Black)
VW GOLF GTD 2018 (Black)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 11 March 2024, 11:19 »
Either there's a fault or you haven't set it correctly. Check your manual, user error seems more likely on a newish car.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Wugga

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 11 March 2024, 11:26 »
can i add videos ? - just recorded it dropping out of auto hold when stationary and in neutral
VW BORA TDI 2004 (Black)
VW GOLF GTI 2002 (Black)
VW GOLF GTD 2018 (Black)