Author Topic: Golf Gti mk2 8v wont start  (Read 2201 times)

Offline MJG94

• Just got here
Golf Gti mk2 8v wont start
« on: 04 June 2023, 16:55 »
Hi folks,

My Golf Gti mark 2 wont start. Initially I was driving it around like normal all day, parked up, came back out after 5 minutes in the shop, went to start it and nothing happened other than the battery light flashing and handbrake light turning on.

I tried to charge the battery with a Jump pack but after a few attempts same issue, not even a grind/clicking can be heard when fully turning the key. Just a slight hum for a second from the electrical bits activating or whatever.

I got a push start off some good samaritans and it fired up on the second attempt, I was able to drive it around the corner to my house, but it just died again mid drive.

I put in a new battery today, still the same issue. All the electrics are working, lights, radio etc. I checked the earthing of battery and looks okay too.

I'm a bit stumped on this one, I'm thinking maybe it's the alternator or the ignition switch? But again not really sure.

Prior to this happening it was running well with no issues, it was parked up for a while by the previous owner so perhaps it just needs something non-sinister sorted, just don't know what..

Any insights or guidance would be massively appreciated as this little car means a lot to me lol. Thank you in advance!! :)

Offline Tractor Dave

• GTI forum regular
Re: Golf Gti mk2 8v wont start
« Reply #1 on: 04 June 2023, 21:18 »
Check the little braided earth strap on the starter motor.