Author Topic: Thinking of buying new?  (Read 4903 times)

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: Thinking of buying new?
« Reply #10 on: 11 February 2024, 20:09 »
Didn't Daewoo try this about 30 years ago.

That went well...
7.5 GTD

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 12 February 2024, 21:00 »
Basically this about expanding vw's margins at the expense of both dealers and customers.

There's no upside for consumers.

Vw say about "confusion" over prices. There's no confusion in my book, just a chance to negotiate a discount.

CMA complaint coming up!

Removing the opportunity to negotiate a discount by "making it fairer to all" - everyone pays more.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 13 February 2024, 17:37 »
What with the latest models so visually unattractive/dull, rising prices and now this - I think my 20 year romance with VW is drawing to a close sadly.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #13 on: 13 February 2024, 19:05 »
What with the latest models so visually unattractive/dull, rising prices and now this - I think my 20 year romance with VW is drawing to a close sadly.
know the feeling and don't think we will be the only ones.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #14 on: 13 February 2024, 20:36 »
It's a cracking idea. The Koreans are eating German's lunches and the Chinese are in the wings while all they can think of in Wolfsberg is how to accelerate the process...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 13 February 2024, 21:04 »
I jumped ship from VW in disgust after over 3 decades in 2020. Didn’t plan on returning anytime soon.
Turns out that lasted 4 months  :whistle: 😁

Cupra have done exactly the same as VW with their electric models, the Born was only ever available direct from Cupra (via dealers) so it seems VW tested the water with their more niche brands before edging themselves into the agency system.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 14 February 2024, 10:29 »
Simply could not afford the new 'new' prices, the circa £50 k is luxury prices for me, and so what was once affordable is not, and though could finance and have a set ownership and commitment, really do not want to tie myself into what are quite heavy payments still.

And if prices are fixed and there is zero chance of discount, all just said is more so, as even the strongest willed can sometimes be tempted by an exceptional deal.

This is my last company car, was super lucky to get the 128Ti, the choice of cars now is bare bones as discounts have dried up, had a Golf R and TCR with small refund on my allowance, them cars no longer on there, and had to pay a nominal lift to get the 128Ti. With the BIK it used to be a balance act to worth, great car, fully wrapped insurance and servicing etc, but cars available will certainly not be worth the cost, but the 128Ti has thankfully proven to be a great run out car and made it worth it, before go private ownership again.

So its second hand now all the way for me, and would naturally be looking at MK 8 R, Clubsport normally, as they are in my affordable band now, and would really like to get into one, but the fear of picking up a glitchy lemon rules that out, so it looks like it will be a run out MK 7.5 R/GTI with lowest mileage can find when this 128Ti goes back. (though will look at M135i as an outside replacement, but do need to test drive as there are some minor drive irritants on the 128Ti that would like to see if AWD eradicates))

Wife's car is a 2019 R and i do occasionally grab it off her, and its always a pleasure, it genuinely gives you everything ever need from a car, including tech now, which was always a downfall of owning an older car, and its timeless in looks and the interior with the digital display and decent entertainment system still has a modern edge. They still keeping their price, but creeping downwards still, and for over half the price of a new one, its not a hard decision.
« Last Edit: 14 February 2024, 16:22 by Hertsman »
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 16 February 2024, 07:42 »
The other thing with this new model of, same price no discount is that what is the incentive to provide good service at the dealers.

Most sales don't really give a sh!t when they are gettipaid commission!

Then the fact that as said most GTi and R models are silly money even with a discount really, so 50k plus for a GTI mk8.5 will be a definite no from almost all I would imagine.
Mk6 GTI DSG
MK7.5 GTI performance DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 16 February 2024, 09:03 »
It's a cracking idea. The Koreans are eating German's lunches and the Chinese are in the wings while all they can think of in Wolfsberg is how to accelerate the process...

I am little out of touch with the alternatives, cannot think of anything that sticks out when drive around, aside from the Hyundai 120N which could see myself in, but think fuel consumption was pretty pants last time updated myself.

So tend just to notice the usual suspects, GTI, R, S3, A35, A45, M135i and so on, but nothing that jumps out from other brands, particularly Korean, Chinese etc, and that maybe because just not looking, so be interested to have some cars to start looking for?
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #19 on: 16 February 2024, 10:14 »
I'm not talking about hot hatches. I mean in general. Where people just buy a car.

That's actually where vw's sales come from.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC