Author Topic: Meet Daisy…  (Read 11456 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Meet Daisy…
« Reply #110 on: 22 February 2024, 20:05 »
I’m not privy to what happens between VW UK and their dealers, I don’t personally know any people in the trade that do so I might be wide of the mark and am always open to learn, so I speak merely as an interested customer after many years of buying stuff and trying to join the dots.
If Motorfinity can supply a new unregistered Golf for £8k off list then that’s a deal and an half in today’s market. And I say “if”.
The cars on the VW website are bound to be list price as they’re on VW’s website and they don’t currently have promotions running.
Orders closed last May and mine was one of the very last, it was delivered to the dealer two months ago, so these cars on VW’s website aren’t dealer orders, they’re likely factory clearout cars that will be allocated to dealers to tie them over until 8.5 production starts, therefore discounts might not be huge as waits will be significant for 8.5’s and dealers will need stock to turn over.

Used car prices were silly high while production was stalled on new cars. The market has caught up and then some with high interest rates on borrowing and huge inflation recently. Plus we’re still in the winter lull. Then there’s the massive increases for insurance.
If hot hatches are heading to oblivion then how about EV’s? They’re hit far worse £€ for £€.
The car market has always had peaks and troughs and in recent times these have been more extreme than we’d gotten used to in the last 10 to 15 years.
It’s not just hot hatch gloom MaggotsRus, well hopefully not anyway!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #111 on: 28 February 2024, 16:47 »
Hi Stevie, have you any idea what (and when) you’re going to replace the M135i with?
It’s much harder to find deals now compared to when you got yours.

Hi Andy,

My PCP runs out this October. I can't believe I have had it for 4 years.
I've been looking at this and that over the last few months but nothing has caught my eye.
I liked the Tiguan R but I see they have upgraded this and the new one will probably be out of my price range.

Interestingly when I had the R I was always looking about at other cars and had itchy feet to try something else but with the m135i I've been loyal with no straying eyes  :laugh:

I think with the interest rates going up it's pushed finance just a bit too far and anything I've looked at has had terrible monthlies.

I might just pay the balloon figure and see what the 8.5 R brings.

Congratulations on the new R Andy. I'm late to the party as usual  :laugh:

I look forward to your updates.

My 135 is 4 years old this year and the PCP will be due to end so I need to do something but really detest this stage approaching dealers etc. :cry:

The M135i is one of three cars have in mind for my next change which will be coming from a 128Ti

Have really enjoyed the 128Ti but it does have a couple of drive irritants.

The comfort setting can make the gear box lazy at times, times its perfectly seamless, then you randomly have a little hesitation, which has me keeping it in Sport most of the time. - Have you experienced that in the M135i or should I ask for that to be checked at next service.

Torque steer is real, and in front end just does not give you full confidence in the wet on B roads, so I am backing off way more than would like to, though in straight line and dry its a super quick and agile FWD hot hatch. - Really want to know if the AWD kills all these issues?

There is nothing else do not like about it, the cabin feels premium and the media and O/S is top notch, though i would definitely be seeking a Kardon Harmon specced car as sound is pretty average, and the only other thing would change is the drivers display map, its next to useless when compared to the inlayed map on the MK 7.5 Golfs for example.

Would probably find and pay the little extra for the performance pack and 19"

And to Andy question, what next if moving on from the M135i? My quandary is would like to have a MK 8 R or Clubsport but it would have to be a early to mid year one, and just cannot bring to risk myself issues, and the MK 8.5 which think like more and would hope would have the issues removed, is way beyond my budget, so that's really limited me to late MK 7.5 Golfs  or the M135i. As much as like and enjoying the 128Ti it just falls short overall, and if stayed FWD would be seeking out a GTI PP or TCR as the drive is just better.

Hi Hertsman,
I pushed the boat out with the m135i and bought the Technology / Comfort / Pro Packs for it so it has the uprated sound system, head up display, keyless, power boot etc.
Coming from the MK7 R I was worried it would be a step down but must admit I have really enjoyed the ownership of it.

As for the gearbox hesitation, I always drive with it in Sport and the gearbox has been fantastic. I have maybe had the hesitation 3 or 4 times but I think that was more user error than the gearbox itself. It mostly happens on roundabouts where I have been cruising along and then attempt to pull out into a gap, the car has already decided its going to shift up whereas I need some power and it feels like an eternity before the car puts it in the right gear and goes. I believe the gearbox is similar to the R in terms of hesitation although when I first got the R I had that hesitation quite a lot but once I was able to read the road I could avoid it. I think its just retraining your brain to use an auto correctly.

I do wish though there was an option to see what gear the car was currently in at all times.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Sniffer

• Not said much yet
« Reply #112 on: 29 February 2024, 18:45 »
I’m not privy to what happens between VW UK and their dealers, I don’t personally know any people in the trade that do so I might be wide of the mark and am always open to learn, so I speak merely as an interested customer after many years of buying stuff and trying to join the dots.
If Motorfinity can supply a new unregistered Golf for £8k off list then that’s a deal and an half in today’s market. And I say “if”.
The cars on the VW website are bound to be list price as they’re on VW’s website and they don’t currently have promotions running. "

I popped into my VW dealership last week and got a great discount on a new Mk8 GTI, so it would seem there are some deals to be had on the runout stock, after all. I only called in to complain about - yet another - glitch with my current Mk8's Infotainment system and casually mentioned to the Sales manager that I had been looking around at other manufacturers because I wanted rid, before its warranty expires in April.

Surprisingly, he told me that they had several unallocated Mk8 performance models on the way from the factory and I was invited to have a peek at their incoming stocklist. The colour and spec that I wanted wasn't on it, although within 30 minutes they had sourced the perfect match for me. The car (in Kings Red) was sitting at Emden in Germany awaiting shipment to the UK, and I was offered a deal on it that I just couldn't refuse, and I should be in the driving seat before the end of March. So much for the year long waiting lists and no deals being available. Changed days!

Originally, I had intended to hang onto my current Mk8, until later in the year, and to switch to a MK8.5 but I suspected that it might turn out to be a very long wait, so I just bit the bullet and went for the deal in front of me. A bird in the hand and all that, although I do hope that I don't live to regret it!  :smiley:

« Last Edit: 04 April 2024, 09:41 by Agreeable Slick »
Long Since: 1981-84 Mk1 Golf GTI (Black);
Long Since: 1984-86 Mk 2 Golf GTI (White);
Long Since: 1986-88 Scirocco GTX (Graphite)
Gap - The Sensible Years (Mostly)
Gone: 2016-18 Mk 7 Golf GT TDI; (Silver)
Gone: 2018-20 Mk7.5 Golf GTI DSG (Red)
Gone: 2020 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (White)
Gone: 2021 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (Pearl Black),19"Adelaides, Sports Susp and Winter Pack.
2024 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (Kings Red), 19" Adelaides, Sports Susp, Winter Pack & Rear View Camera.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #113 on: 29 February 2024, 19:20 »
Congrats Sniffer! Unless you need ChatGPT to write your work emails and reports whilst you’re still on your commute there’s not a huge amount to be gained from waiting for an 8.5

I was referring to the published prices from VW in the highlighted text above as they themselves at the time weren’t running any promos (aside from PCP contribution) as opposed to what you car wrestle out of a dealer.
Just today I had an email circular offering an amazing deal in an in stock R20. Their words not mine!!

@p3asa, maybe it’s the bright orange seats that have kept you loyal!! 😁
There’s a bit of discussion in another thread here about the severe lack of credible hot hatch alternatives owing to all the manufacturers putting their efforts into 2.5 tonne electric SUV’s.
It was VW that got the hot hatch ball rolling into the mainstream nearly 50 years ago and maybe ICE hot hatches will die with just a handful of offerings that gradually peter out. Hopefully the Ed50 GTI will be something special, assuming it’s not electric by then!!
The Tiguan R looks really nice, it’s a big old bus for a 2.0 though. Decent deals to be had on the runout current shape.
The 8.5 R will probably be offered with the 333PS motor so might be a bit of an upgrade.

Not a bad idea hanging on to your M135i though, so long as it doesn’t have any large bills imminent it’d be worth paying the balloon. It’s a reliable platform and your car has a fantastic  spec.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #114 on: 03 April 2024, 18:00 »
Captain’s log

star-date 030424

USS Daisy has been in service for just over 3 months, currently in low orbit on Waterworld negotiating flooded craters during torrential acid downpours.

Status report: propulsion lubrication levels appearing to be just above 50% at just under 3000 miles, mild concern having never captained a vessel in the last 30 years that needed a top up between dry dock services. Cooling system and retardation system fluids at maximum levels.
Possibility of running in being too gentle owing to weather and traffic conditions. Reactor bores possibly not well sealed(?)

Ship’s electronic systems appear free of Klingon hacks which negatively affected earlier vessels. Monitoring still in progress.

Traction systems appear good, gear transfer box performing well, reactor fuel usage quite heavy.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #115 on: 03 April 2024, 18:37 »
Captain’s log

star-date 030424

USS Daisy has been in service for just over 3 months, currently in low orbit on Waterworld negotiating flooded craters during torrential acid downpours.

Status report: propulsion lubrication levels appearing to be just above 50% at just under 3000 miles, mild concern having never captained a vessel in the last 30 years that needed a top up between dry dock services. Cooling system and retardation system fluids at maximum levels.
Possibility of running in being too gentle owing to weather and traffic conditions. Reactor bores possibly not well sealed(?)

Ship’s electronic systems appear free of Klingon hacks which negatively affected earlier vessels. Monitoring still in progress.

Traction systems appear good, gear transfer box performing well, reactor fuel usage quite heavy.

Has the engine oil level actually dropped? I’ve had new VW’s where the oil level was roughly half way between the min and max marks on the dipstick on collection day from the dealer’s. I’ve topped it up and it’s never needed topping up again.

I had to top up my current car’s oil level after the last service. The fresh oil was barely up to the minimum mark on the dipstick! Car has never used any oil so I put it down to the dealer ‘under filling’ it  :angry: rather than the car using oil (I didn’t I’d been given short measure until a couple of weeks after the service when I did my usual checks). From now on, after my car’s been serviced I’ll be checking the fluid levels before leaving the dealership. Tyre pressures hadn’t been checked and adjusted at the last service either………..

Time to change dealership methinks - or maybe change car brand :whistle:
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #116 on: 03 April 2024, 19:00 »
Changing dealer is a little cheaper than changing car SR!

I have a vague recollection of checking the oil level when the car was new. That vagueness continues into the level it was at. I’m a bad custodian!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #117 on: 03 April 2024, 19:09 »
Changing dealer is a little cheaper than changing car SR!

I have a vague recollection of checking the oil level when the car was new. That vagueness continues into the level it was at. I’m a bad custodian!

Indeed it is cheaper to change dealer than changing car :smiley:.

After nearly 22 years of VW’s, there’s a part of me that thinks it might be time to try a different brand for my next car. I’ve pretty much already decided my next car won’t be a hot hatch, so I may settle for a run of the mill car from a different manufacturer.

I’m not one for making snap, impulsive decisions, so I’ll probably still be driving my current car at this time next year (and the year after :grin:).
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #118 on: 03 April 2024, 19:42 »
Have you got an inkling of where your money would go next time SR? After many years of driving a certain type of car it’d be hard to step back and yet still have that same emotional feeling when looking back over your shoulder at the car you’ve just parked up.
And then there’s the rest of the ownership experience, I mean can you imagine the Nissan Juke forum being very rock n roll?!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #119 on: 03 April 2024, 20:39 »
Have you got an inkling of where your money would go next time SR? After many years of driving a certain type of car it’d be hard to step back and yet still have that same emotional feeling when looking back over your shoulder at the car you’ve just parked up.
And then there’s the rest of the ownership experience, I mean can you imagine the Nissan Juke forum being very rock n roll?!

No idea at all at the moment, but you’ve planted the Nissan Juke (or should that be Nissan Joke) seed in my mind so I’ll need to make sure I put that on my list (NOT! :grin:).

If I’m going for something mainstream, then Japanese will probably be on the list. A few test drives might convince me to stay with VW after all.

Decisions, decisions……………..
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk