Author Topic: New Golf Black Edition trim with 2.0 TSI 4 motion 190PS engine ...  (Read 4051 times)

Offline evo1986

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
The Black Edition trim will sit above the R-Line and is open for customer and Retailer ordering from Thursday 7 September, with the following to be rolled out:
•   Available to order in SLI
•   Model landing page and car configurator live on volkswagen.co.uk
•   Personal digital brochures live
•   Quotable in Connect OnLine
•   Finance calculator (from Friday 8 September)
•   Market introduction expected Q4 2023

Product overview
The Black Edition standard equipment includes a 10.25” digital cockpit, lane assist, adaptive cruise control (ACC), sports seats in front, and Discover Media navigation system to name a few.
Golf fans can choose from three engines:
•   1.5 TSI 150 PS six-speed manual
•   1.5 eTSI 150 PS mild hybrid seven-speed DSG
•   2.0 TSI 4Motion 190 PS seven-speed DSG – this engine is a first for Golf 8
Black Edition also brings:
•   18-inch Bergamo alloy wheels in black
•   Black Style package
o   Exterior mirror housing in black
o   Illuminated strip between the headlights and recessed door handles
o   LED plus headlights
•   Rear view camera
•   Winter pack
o   Heated front seats
o   Heated windscreen washer jets
o   Leather-wrapped, heated multifunction sports steering wheel with touch control
The additional features included, compared with the R-Line, would normally cost £2,900, whereas the Black Edition costs just £1,500 more.

1.5 TSI 150 PS manual   £25,825.00   £5,165.00   £30,990.00   £685.00   £310.00   £31,985.00   22E
1.5 eTSI 150 PS DSG   £27,350.00   £5,470.00   £32,820.00   £685.00   £300.00   £33,805.00   23E
2.0 TSI 190 PS 4Motion DSG   £29,112.50   £5,822.50   £34,935.00   £685.00   £700.00   £36,320.00   27E

« Last Edit: 06 September 2023, 09:44 by evo1986 »
Sales Manager
Select Car Leasing West Midlands
Leeevans@selectcarleasing.co.uk
WhatsApp: 07389107119

Former General sales manager at Volkswagen for over 13 years.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Surprised nobody commented on the awd on this.

Does seem a bit weird at only 190ps but might interest some
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict

Indeed, quite an interesting/curious spec to fill a niche that has been picked up on maybe(?)
AWD and the torque of a 2.0, minus the high output of a GTI/R points to those that require traction but don’t want the high power and reduced fuel economy of an R (or the high VED).
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
Shows how much ICE have developed in terms of efficiency and output that a 2.0 litre ‘only’ produces 190 PS.
Last petrol car I had (21 years ago) before the GTI was a Mercedes C240 with a V6 2.6 litre engine running at 172 PS.
Replaced in 2005 with a 2.7 ton Discovery 3 with a 2.7 litre diesel also running at 172 PS.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline DSGboy

• Not said much yet
I noticed this when browsing. At first sight ai thought an oddity, either orphan or hit.  But it will give most of (if not more) than what many will need for year-in-year out brisk usage in UK.  As would a GTD….
The security benefits of 4 motion will ensure all weather capability rather than scrabbling.
I’d try to talk my lovely wife into one, but she’ll object to a car this size for 1 person 98% of time.
Gone. Mk6 GTI DSG, 2012 ,5dr , DPB, 18’s, Leather, Dynaudio, Cruise, DAB, Auto Mirrors, Storage Pack, TPMS.
Current. Mk7.5 R DSG, 2019, 5dr, DPB,  Pretorias, Leather, Memory Seat,  Climate Screen, Rear Camera, Black Caps

Offline SRGTD

• I live here

Indeed, quite an interesting/curious spec to fill a niche that has been picked up on maybe(?)
AWD and the torque of a 2.0, minus the high output of a GTI/R points to those that require traction but don’t want the high power and reduced fuel economy of an R (or the high VED).

Back in 2007, VW also produced a 4WD version of the mk5 Golf Sport model with the 2.0 litre 140ps diesel engine. I seem to remember it was only part of the mk5 model line up for a relatively short period of time.

Screenshot from the Feb 2007 Golf brochure;

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict

Back in 2007, VW also produced a 4WD version of the mk5 Golf Sport model with the 2.0 litre 140ps diesel engine. I seem to remember it was only part of the mk5 model line up for a relatively short period of time.

I don’t remember the AWD ‘Sport’ model, I’ll assume that came with the mild facelift of all GT models to give them the beetle nose bumper similar to the GTI when the 170 TDI was introduced in late 2006 (prior to that they had the front bumper of the regular Golf), but VW did produce the GT TDI 140 almost from the off with AWD. A very rare car. These were popular with people who liked to tow trailers but almost nobody else bought one! Again it was relatively short lived in the UK but stayed in production in Europe.
I can remember seeing a modified silver mk5 GT TDI 4Motion at Inters back in the day. I have only ever seen one or two others on UK roads.

Funnily enough the first thing I thought about when seeing the Black Edition with AWD was the original Golf Syncro back in the late ‘80s which was a mk2 with a 90PS 1.8 petrol model (used on the Golf GL of its day) but with the plastic arch spats and sill covers of the GTI.
« Last Edit: 17 September 2023, 11:01 by Exonian »
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
My brother owned a mk5 gt Tdi 140 4motion 2006 pre facelift did 270k miles before it died. He loved it the 4motion meant he could get out of fields at motorbike trials with ease after it started chucking it down. He’s never bought a 2wd since, Audi Quattro tdi and recently due to the golf dying a Curpa Ateca 300ps. I really like the idea of it it’s well specified and only £31k on drive the deal with a couple of options too. But wouldn’t swap my R for it.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline BanksyGTI

• Not said much yet

I was surprised to see this spec too. However an A3 S Line has been available with this engine and - I think - quattro, since the new model in 2019. Unsure on that spec’s popularity sold but to me it’s a really nicely rounded Golf, and as many have alluded to with the mk4/5, is a bit of old school niche VW spec that I thought we’d seen the last of to be honest.

190s ps and haldex is enough power to finally cash the cheque that the bodykit writes and is enough power for most. It doesn’t step on the toes of the ‘Performance Golfs’ - GTD, GTI etc from a marketing perspective and will feel ‘secure’ and planted on the road to the semi-keen owners that buy them.
We shouldn’t forget that it was only 15 years ago that the mk5 GTI had 200ps. The mk8 only weighs 60-100kg more.
This is why I love VWs and in particular Golfs at the end of their model cycle; you get some really interesting and generous specs where the Germans get all niche and specific and somehow they get made into RHD when the accountants are too busy bean-counting the next model iteration.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Hmmm I played with the configurator.

No matrix iq lights, fuel economy and co2 worse than a 245ps gti and with a couple of options, just under 40k too.

No thanks I think.

Oh and not to mention that unless you buy from initial dealer stock you'll not see it for years
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC