Author Topic: Engine cover!  (Read 32109 times)

Offline buttons

• Not said much yet
Re: Engine cover!
« Reply #10 on: 22 December 2022, 16:49 »
Golf 8 - the gift that keeps on giving!!
MK8 GTi: Adelaide 19", DCC, Winter Pack, Rear Camera and sh!t loads of software issues! ;-)

Offline BanksyGTI

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 23 December 2022, 00:30 »
A few months ago I asked VW Group Design boss Klaus Zyciora why the gen4 engine cover looks the way that it does in an Instagram Q&A. He always came across as a nice chap.

He bluntly stated that due to the cost pressure of getting these cars to reliably perform to safety and emissions expectations, there is no budget left for such nice design frivolities like there used to be.

It didn’t surprise me but I thought that was fairly honest about it all. He also stated that his team were “listening closely to consumer feedback and preparing upgrades” regarding the ID. range interior material quality.

Anyway since then, friendly Klaus has been sacked after 30 years at VW and replaced with the acting Head of Design at Porsche. The previous head of Group Quality was also fired with the same round of bullets and has been replaced with the current Audi HoQ. Wolfsburg certainly has Big Brother eyes on our feedback!

So the pretty engine cover may be down, but not necessarily out forever…!

Offline GtiJames

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 23 December 2022, 08:02 »
We should all treat ourselves to fancy carbon fibre ones and send the collective bill to VW.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 23 December 2022, 16:59 »
A few months ago I asked VW Group Design boss Klaus Zyciora why the gen4 engine cover looks the way that it does in an Instagram Q&A. He always came across as a nice chap.

He bluntly stated that due to the cost pressure of getting these cars to reliably perform to safety and emissions expectations, there is no budget left for such nice design frivolities like there used to be.

It didn’t surprise me but I thought that was fairly honest about it all. He also stated that his team were “listening closely to consumer feedback and preparing upgrades” regarding the ID. range interior material quality.

Anyway since then, friendly Klaus has been sacked after 30 years at VW and replaced with the acting Head of Design at Porsche. The previous head of Group Quality was also fired with the same round of bullets and has been replaced with the current Audi HoQ. Wolfsburg certainly has Big Brother eyes on our feedback!

So the pretty engine cover may be down, but not necessarily out forever…!

I might be slightly weird but I actually found that really interesting :afro:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 29 December 2022, 07:29 »
Anyone had a new one delivered with the latest cover they would care to post a pic of?

The new covers look exactly like the old ones, apart from the mounting points being differently designed, instead of the hole the ball sockets push into simply being moulded from the same material as the cover itself, they have a harder white material at these points that don’t soften with engine heat and therefor stay in place, new cars are now being delivered with these covers fitted.

Has anyone had a new car delivered with an engine cover yet?

If so could they let us know the part number of the updated cover so we can check with dealer won't give me any info without a part number or reg  of car with one fitted.
Mk6 GTI DSG
MK7.5 GTI performance DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline simonwhite2000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 29 December 2022, 11:01 »
Anyone had a new one delivered with the latest cover they would care to post a pic of?

The new covers look exactly like the old ones, apart from the mounting points being differently designed, instead of the hole the ball sockets push into simply being moulded from the same material as the cover itself, they have a harder white material at these points that don’t soften with engine heat and therefor stay in place, new cars are now being delivered with these covers fitted.

Has anyone had a new car delivered with an engine cover yet?

If so could they let us know the part number of the updated cover so we can check with dealer won't give me any info without a part number or reg  of car with one fitted.

Received my MY23 in late October but no cover.
Awaiting: Mk8 GTI CS
2020: BMW 840 Gran Coupe
2017: Audi B9 S5 Coupe
2014: Mk7 Golf R manual

Offline ash_rage

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 09 January 2023, 20:51 »
According to a Canadian guy on Facebook, he purchased one:

Golf GTI Clubsport 45 (2022)

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #17 on: 10 January 2023, 17:39 »
Will a mk7 one fit a mk8?
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 10 January 2023, 17:48 »
Will a mk7 one fit a mk8?

Apparently not, the lugs are in different places.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
« Reply #19 on: 10 January 2023, 22:18 »
According to a Canadian guy on Facebook, he purchased one:

Useful info that 👍thank you sir!
Mk6 GTI DSG
MK7.5 GTI performance DSG
Mk8 GTI