Author Topic: new boy!  (Read 1998 times)

Offline mk1beast

• Just got here
new boy!
« on: 08 January 2005, 11:12 »
Happy new to you all
I am new to the forum thing so sorry for boring you all!
I have had a Mk 2 Golf GTI many years ago! i currently drive a mildly tuned 03 scooby sti but I'm getting sick off losing a fortune on cars my last car the Clio v6 was a bad move! and Audi s4 and Scooby wrx before that were also bad investments! so i will be selling the scoob soon to make way for some more old skool projects, Golf rallye Audi quattro type things that don't lose a fortune every month!
basically after years of wanting a Mk1 and looking at a few rotten ones from time to time i finally bought my first one a Lhasa green 83 gti off my mates brother. I drove it all the way from hull to Manchester then lake district then to montrose Scotland fully loaded with wheels and spares i got with the car no probs! I now realize how much fun the old gtis i had in the past were 205, uno turbo, Toyota corolla gti, Astra gsi etc. my plan is to keep it original looking but to turbocharge it. I will maybe go the 20v route later in the year but i would like to do some thing different, i have a 2.0 passat for spares and was hoping to use the 2.0 bottom end and keep my head and mechanical injection i have turbo from a Saab 9000 a few intercoolers and a manifold off a TD pishrat these should fit with a bit of work my main problem is fueling/timing i could go g60 ecu or custom ecu etc. but to be different or stupid maybe! i would like to stick with what i have for now i also need to lower compresion hopefully use a shim or stack head gaskets for this my initial thoughts are up the fuel pressure run avgas or octane booster wire up cold start injector when on boost, but im sure even that wont be enough i was thinking Porsche 924/911/Audi quattro turbo injectors. Does anyone know if these give more flow. as for retarding timing when on boost i am told a dual port vacuum canister can be used but cant find one !any ideas what Porsche or Audi used on early cars
any help would be much appreciated
sorry for the long winded intro!
Thanks
Chris
MK1 Beast!

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Re: new boy!
« Reply #1 on: 08 January 2005, 11:18 »
Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum  :smiley:

That is a pretty interesting project you have there! The best person to speak to would be 'mk1' as he has built his own mk1 turbo. With a bit of luck he will see your message.

jv
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Stu.750

• I live here
  • MMMMMMM Rust my favourite
« Reply #2 on: 08 January 2005, 11:40 »
Hello from another newie , best of luck with the golf , and your right the mk2 put a bigger smile on my face than my old scoob ,

Offline mk1beast

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 08 January 2005, 13:21 »
Cheers guys
I  breifly spoke to MK1 in the petrol station in montrose a few weeks ago he has a very tidy engine bay he actually put me onto this site.

MK1 Beast!

Offline E105

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 08 January 2005, 17:45 »
Hi, I have only just joined as well.  Cool forum though.

We got a mk 4 gti a year back and its no where as good as my old valver.  Selling it soon and will be on the lookout for a mint 16v.  Got a 8v as a run about and that pretty good.

Good luck with the project!

mrwotto

« Reply #5 on: 08 January 2005, 18:12 »
welcome to the forum mate

Dinky

« Reply #6 on: 08 January 2005, 18:24 »
Hey Chris!
welcome to the forum!

Diane :kiss:

Offline mk1

• I live here
  • 2ltr16v turbo (now with programmable EFI)
« Reply #7 on: 08 January 2005, 21:25 »
Hi Chris, welcome to golfgti.
Seen your post and have replied, good luck with your project.
MK1's don't die, the go faster  :wink:.
Steve.

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
« Reply #8 on: 10 January 2005, 12:13 »
Welcome to the site, looks like you've got some interesting ideas  :smiley:
......now officially dubless.