Author Topic: Flash Red SE [OEM+]  (Read 31600 times)

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
Re: Flash Red SE [OEM+]
« Reply #20 on: 21 March 2012, 21:59 »
I see little point in an engine swap but your choice.

Offline FlashRedThree

• GTI forum regular
  • MK III Flash Red 1.4 SE + MK V DBP 2.0T GTI
« Reply #21 on: 22 March 2012, 03:34 »
You seem to know what you want, so go for it. It's never going to be difficult to do, just a bit of a pain in the arse at points. As you said, very little fabrication is required so most of it will be bolt off, bolt on to red one with a donor. There are gentlemen on here or club gti who are more than happy to advise you get stuck, so good luck!  :cool:

Appreciate the support, thank you.

PD 150 ftw!  :smug:

My budget won't stretch that far I'm afraid!  :sad:

I see little point in an engine swap but your choice.

I would absolutely agree with you most of the time, and appreciate your perspective Wayne since you seem to know your stuff! I could insert the usual cliché about how 'it's my car, i'll do what i want'  :sick: spiel, but that's not what this is about. Whichever way we look at it, a TDI conversion would be advantageous, particularly with the recent budget sh!te that the government is implementing, since we're apparently gonna see £1.50/litre on fuel before the year is out. Alot of people, including me, are going to need every mpg they can get, arguably already do.

Since this is my only car, and will be driven daily for many more years (with any luck), the extra power and the practical experience of carrying out the conversion are, to me, invaluable.

And god knows, these engines will probably still be functional long after the last drop of oil has been harvested.
Thanks again everyone.

« Last Edit: 22 March 2012, 03:54 by FlashRedThree »

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #22 on: 22 March 2012, 11:39 »

but that's not what this is about. Whichever way we look at it, a TDI conversion would be advantageous, particularly with the recent budget sh!te that the government is implementing, since we're apparently gonna see £1.50/litre on fuel before the year is out. Alot of people, including me, are going to need every mpg they can get, arguably already do.

Respect what your saying but I still think your bonkers to even think it makes sense, look at what the conversion is going to cost and then how many miles you will need to do to even start seeing a saving in fuel costs plus factor in insurance costs as insuring a converted car will be a lot more than a factory car.

You could buy a cheap daily and still be better off in the long run.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #23 on: 22 March 2012, 11:43 »
It already is a cheap daily only being a 1.4  :huh:

I think this man simply wants more oomph and the bonus of some boost without having to run a GTI.

Offline VR6_Wherry

• Forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 22 March 2012, 11:45 »

but that's not what this is about. Whichever way we look at it, a TDI conversion would be advantageous, particularly with the recent budget sh!te that the government is implementing, since we're apparently gonna see £1.50/litre on fuel before the year is out. Alot of people, including me, are going to need every mpg they can get, arguably already do.

Respect what your saying but I still think your bonkers to even think it makes sense, look at what the conversion is going to cost and then how many miles you will need to do to even start seeing a saving in fuel costs plus factor in insurance costs as insuring a converted car will be a lot more than a factory car.

See your point here Wayne, but i have to agree with the OP on this.

What you can learn is invaluable, also if you buy a Cat C/D TDI write off your hardly breaking the bank.

My friend just did a VR conversion into a 16v and still made a profit :grin:

Offline madmanmart

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 22 March 2012, 13:42 »

See your point here Wayne, but i have to agree with the OP on this.

What you can learn is invaluable, also if you buy a Cat C/D TDI write off your hardly breaking the bank.

My friend just did a VR conversion into a 16v and still made a profit :grin:

Completely agree, you will learn so much from doing it and its a nice easy conversion to start with.

I bought a donor for £300 and sold the spares I didnt use so made alot of that back.

Also spend about £200 on service parts so hardily a bank breaker.

Mk3 Golf 3dr GTI 16v
Mk3 Golf Cabriolet TD
20vt Corrado track car project

Offline FlashRedThree

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #26 on: 23 March 2012, 15:28 »
Got this in the post today...

I must say I was expecting something a little more discreet! It was very well wrapped though Mart  :grin:
Contained within is all the gear for electric windows and mirrors (a decision I may live to regret  :lipsrsealed:)

Is this bit here an air line for central locking?

If anyone wants to do me a good deal on a pair of electric wing mirrors, don't be shy!
Thanks.

Offline BISSONE

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #27 on: 23 March 2012, 16:19 »
I did this to my MK3 van i had, only problem i had was mine came from a 5 door so had to strip the loom down first but pretty easy to install and well worth it in my opinion, do you have all door looms and switches etc?

Offline FlashRedThree

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #28 on: 23 March 2012, 16:28 »
I did this to my MK3 van i had, only problem i had was mine came from a 5 door so had to strip the loom down first but pretty easy to install and well worth it in my opinion, do you have all door looms and switches etc?

Good to know! I can't really crack on with it till I've got some mirrors too, but I have got everything yes. It was from a 3 door aswell so should be straight forward enough!

Offline BISSONE

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #29 on: 23 March 2012, 17:15 »
Lol shame i sold a pair of black ones on ebay 2 weeks ago for £5 plus postage. Go to scrapyard ull get some easy mate.