Author Topic: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?  (Read 653938 times)

Offline charlie

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?
« Reply #2170 on: 14 December 2014, 21:42 »
Mines still sitting clean in the garage  :evil:

Must admit I much prefer the silver leon this time of year as the silver doesn't show the dirt much at all compared to other colours. I did nearly buy the mk6 in silver just did not like the lack of reflections the silver on of the mk6 gave compared to the reflective diamond silver of the mk1 GTI.
that is a mighty fine garage snoopy one word jealous mk1 ain't to bad either  :smiley:
2012 black pearl Golf gti mark 6 5 door leather cruise 510rns bluetooth acc dab sunroof park assist rear camera parking sensors storage pack and the luxury pack :-) sold :/( now aiming a 2013 passat alltrack

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2171 on: 14 December 2014, 21:52 »
Took me a long time to get the garage that way. The mk1 use to be in the middle for about 8 years more or less surrounded by stuff. I then decided enough was enough and spent months  going to the local tip every weekend. Its amazing how much you keep you don't need or have used in years.
I also cheat as I have a 20ft container with all the garden tools, bikes etc in, but thats tidy and organised now too..
The garage still has a not so small to do list.  The floor tiled, roof painting, The units hung on the wall, A kitchen top work surface fitted on top of the floor units, Radiator fitted, hot water and mixer tap plumbed in.

Well looks like all your hard work is paying off.  But there's always more to do isn't there  :undecided:

I'd settle for just one garage.  In fact my garage would be perfect if I could actually put the car in it.  It's all boarded out, painted and carpeted, wall units, good lighting, heated, and has a separate self contained room for all the bikes etc.  My partner owns and runs a painting and small building works contracting company, so got it got done in next to no time.  So it looks excellent, but the downside is it's been converted to a gym, so my car is relegated to the driveway year round  :sad: :cry:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #2172 on: 14 December 2014, 22:15 »
I don't think I could own a black car and have it parked outside all the time it would drive me crazy the blues bad enough when im using it daily which I just stopped doing last week.

Funny you should say gym, its been discussed in my down sizing plan to sell my 50ft, five car space workshops garage thats a mile down the road and build a new detached double garage at home to replace it. 
The new double garage that was suppose to be for me to replace the workshop garage at more than one point seems to be turned into a gym and single garage NOT for me...  :huh:  :sad:
That was until I  hinted about  a garden office buildings would be ideal as a gym. :evil:  :whistle: (this would have to replace the 20ft container though :undecided: ) ......i do seem to still  have lost a single garage place...  :huh:

More down sizing and sorting to do and more work on my negotiating skills.... :huh:
« Last Edit: 14 December 2014, 22:58 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2173 on: 14 December 2014, 23:07 »
Hmm, sounds like you may have been nobbled, perhaps more careful negotiating to be done on that one.  Stick to your guns snoopy, once the space is gone, it's gone!

We do have room at our place to build a double garage if we were to sacrifice a chunk of the front garden, which is all just unused lawn anyway, but I can't see it happening any time soon.  I did mention the words 'carport' a few months back but it fell on deaf ears.  I may have to subtly drop a few more hints over time.

The gym is handy though.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #2174 on: 14 December 2014, 23:26 »
If your going for a car port you may as well go for a garage imo.

:sad: looks about, I can see how handy a gym would be and would really like it myself truth be told (im not going to say that though...), BUT I only have so much land. I also don't want it looking wrong if you know what I meen. Something has to give. I can survive with 3 car spaces afterall the other car can be moved out if I need to work on something. Its just were everything else goes.... :undecided:

Anyway as we are showing clean daily drivers  :evil: Its even in winter tyre mode.

« Last Edit: 14 December 2014, 23:31 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2175 on: 14 December 2014, 23:32 »

:sad: looks about, I can see how handy a gym would be and would really like it myself truth be told (im not going to say that though...), BUT I only have so much land. I also don't want it looking wrong if you know what I meen. Something has to give. I can survive with 3 car spaces afterall the other car can be moved out if I need to work on something. Its just were everything else goes.... :undecided:

Anyway as we are showing clean daily drivers  :evil: Its even in winter tyre mode.

That's very smart  :cool:  are they winter wheels as well as tyres?   I rather like them.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #2176 on: 14 December 2014, 23:35 »
Yes they are a second set of the original 16" alloys, sadly they don't fit the mk6 as they are 5x100 not 5x112

« Last Edit: 14 December 2014, 23:38 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2177 on: 14 December 2014, 23:49 »

Yeah I think you're right there, they only offer partial shelter and don't offer secure storage.  The idea would be to lull him into the idea of a semi garage (carport) and then say just what you said, that we might as well have a proper garage.  It's what happened with our house.  It was a bungalow originally, then was going to go for a loft conversion but decided we might as well go the whole hog and make it into a house, which is what we did.  I haven't really pushed the garage thing, and I doubt I'll get it, but I live in hope  :grin:

Looks like you're all set for the winter.  Those Nankang look the business.

And now its pouring with rain all over my nice clean car  :cry:  :cry:   I expect it'll be covered in spots of sand in the morning as seems to be the case with the rain lately  :sad:

Now I really wish I had that garage  :angry:
« Last Edit: 15 December 2014, 00:19 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #2178 on: 15 December 2014, 08:33 »
We do have room at our place to build a double garage if we were to sacrifice a chunk of the front garden, which is all just unused lawn anyway

You have the same problem as us. A narrow plot.

We have an integral single garage and the use of half a double at my parents, 2 miles away, but ideally I would like to get all 3 vehicles and the caravan inside, at home. Access to the rear makes this impossible as I don't want to build in the front garden. You may be able to get away with a timber framed or tile hung double with it's back to the road, but being on the south side of the house, it would undoubtedly make the house darker inside.

Have you not got sufficient width to build a tandem garage/carport down the west side of the house? 

Whilst on the topic of silver, winter ready cars, my winter and tyre combo went on a week or so ago.

Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2179 on: 15 December 2014, 11:54 »
Lovely looking passat dubber  :cool:  Much better than the R estate  :sick:

Yes, a narrow very long plot.  Timber framed hung tile would be inkeeping with the house but tbh I don't really fancy building over the front garden, and you're right, it would make the house much darker and it's not a particularly light house anyway.

To the immediate west side of the house, it would not be wide enough (for an integral garage).  Further down the west side, there would be room to extend the existing garage into a tandem garage, as the back garden is very long, but the majority of that side is taken up with numerous well used garden outbuildings.  I suppose these could be incorporated into one long unit but not really sure if I like that idea.  I very much doubt our neighbours would appreciate it as it would cast quite a shadow on their garden at certain times and much of their plot is allotment garden.  Also it would change the 'feel' of our back garden which is the very thing that attracted us to the plot originally and why we chose to buy the bungalow to convert.  It's a nice plot (albeit narrow) with very mature trees/ponds etc and I wouldn't be keen to start eating into that.

Ah well, can't have everything.  Car doesn't look too bad considering it's exposed to the elements all year.  And if I need to do a mega detail then I have the use our company industrial unit at weekends, so not all bad.
« Last Edit: 15 December 2014, 16:42 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual