Author Topic: Power lose  (Read 1927 times)

Offline bad_pinoyboy

• Just got here
Power lose
« on: 08 December 2002, 17:14 »
E reg '87 (4+E) CL - done about 130k

Hi

i seem to be having problems with my car. ? :-[

Everytime i travel on the motorway, whenever i hit a very steep long hill, my car would just lose power. i'll be travelling @ 70mph and would just drop to 50mph (struggling very hard). and i would dropped down to  4th gear - when i gain more speed and go back to 5th the batt + oil lights up! i really have to push the gas pedal hard to be able to get on the top. ????

also anyone could advise me on how to fix my heater. its winter now and i freeze to death inside the car coz no hot air is going thru. its OK for the first 5mins after starting the car - after dat its just cold air... BRRrrrrrr

many thanks!

btw - hoping to get a GTi next year!!!! yipeeee
« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by -1 »

ows

Re: Power lose
« Reply #1 on: 06 January 2003, 21:05 »
yea, i have the same prob with my mk2 driver, i think its a prob with the carb, have u tried cleaning/replacing it? as my golf is later in life (162k) its prob a good starting point to look at, have u fitted an air filter etc that sits on the carb? i know that after i fitted a pipercross air filter that replaced the OE VW system caused a few weird probs? thats another idea...

Let us know how u get on

Cheers
« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by 1055631600 »

Offline Drew

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 12 February 2003, 13:31 »
Same problem in my mkII driver.
Again I think it is a carb problem. My latest thoughts are that on a long fast hill the carb is handling a lot of fuel and that the evaporation of so much fuel is causing the temperature in parts of the carb to fall to a point where the fuel starts to freeze.
This then blocks parts of the carb causing loss of power.

the cure??
I think the carb has electric heaters and thermo switches to deal with this problem which could be replaced perhaps.

In the short term I find that stopping and letting the car sit for 5mins (with engine off) cures the problem until the next hill!!

Let me know if you've heard any more about this problem from anyone else. I'm reluctant to start fiddling with the carb as it is a complicated b*stard

ta
Drew

Offline 66split

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 12 February 2003, 15:15 »
in my experience of older vws they do have a tendency to ice up when cold. This is more often caused by overfilling of the float chamber (blockage??? needle valve)and the fuel evaporating taking any heat with it and causing the inlet manifold to block with ice.  However once the motor is warm the problem should disappear.  I f your warning lights are coming on it could be that you have a wonky alternator. Don't forget this feeds your coil which feeds the plugs.  While the engine is under load ie uphill there is more demand on the alternator. in 5th gear your engine is pulling less revs so your alternator is running slower producing less current. Therefore when you change down to 4th, more revs, faster alternator, more current= no loss of spark.
The warning lights only come on when the alternator is not charging the battery or coil.
hope this helps

66split :)
Don't ignore where your cars evolved from. Aircooled is COOL!!

Offline Drew

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 12 February 2003, 15:28 »
forgot the heater problem, again my golf had this one too...
if you tace the water pipes round the engine you will see two heading off into the bulkhead. Just before they go through the bulkhead (towards the heater matrix) they should both pass through a valve (one valve on each pipe). On the inlet side this valve is metal and on the return side it is plastic, in between the two valves there is also a thermo-controlled bypass for the heater matrix.
All the valves do is control the flow through the matrix to prevent it exploding when the engine is running hot (apparently this was a problem in early golfs and warranted a recall).
Your problem is probly with the metal valve, take it out and test it by running water through it (in the direction of the marked arrows), cold water should run freely through the unit.
If faulty a replacement will be hard to find at a scrap yard, it took me 4 tries, the other three had the same fault.

Good luck