Author Topic: Running Out Of Steam?  (Read 6056 times)

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
Re: Running Out Of Steam?
« Reply #30 on: 30 October 2018, 13:41 »
Probably one of the more worthwhile mods.
If I had any degree of competence, I would love to fit the Audi short shifter :smiley:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #31 on: 30 October 2018, 21:36 »
4 pages in 3 days about whether the forum is still relevant  :huh:

I visit this great forum most days, whether much has been posted or not. Even though I'm not really interested in doing any mods.

Still a top source of valuable info and banter :smiley:
7.5 GTD

Offline Patagonian

• Not said much yet
« Reply #32 on: 30 October 2018, 22:15 »
Aren't forums in general slowing down with other options for group discussions these days? I suppose many have sold and moved on now the MK7 is older.

Totally agree, all the forums I use seem to be going the same way. For a while I thought it was because people got abused for asking "stupid" questions therefore they simply stopped asking but I think there is more to it. Looks like forums are being left behind.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #33 on: 05 November 2018, 00:00 »
The R forum is far more lively than the humble GTI forum.
I can think of many reasons why.

This forum section is more personable than many forums due to compactness and it’s nice that it’s a blend of GTI, GTD and R owners. 

The R came of age in mk7 guise, the GTD was *the* company car of choice a few years ago and the mk7 GTI seems to live in their shadow a bit.
As we near the end of the model cycle it’s got a bit quiet. Many more vocal members have moved on, other members are just treading water, most of the modders go for the R as it’s a far more accomplished package to modify when you take into account issues of transmitting 300 plus BHP to tarmac. The most recent good lease deals were R estates so the fresh blood headed over to the R forum...
I do see far more late model GTIs around now which means the GTI is fighting back against the R and GTD, just maybe the new generation of leasers and owners aren’t forum type enthusiasts.

It’s self generating though. If people come up with good lively topics the forum soon springs back to life.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #34 on: 05 November 2018, 00:51 »
Exonian:-

Pretty much everything you can think of which is car related has been done to death.

Common faults
MPG
Waits for builds
Facelift/new variants
DSG vs Manual
Leather vs Cloth
Mods
GTD vs GTI vs R
Car wash pics

The only truly new stuff is when someone's had a snash.

Thankfully the common faults post warranty expiration remains low.

I agree about diversity of ownership - probably uniquely for the MK7, the GTI was the poor boy of the bunch - excellent residuals and mpg meant people were buying GTDs over GTIs to what seemed a 5:1 ratio, to save an average £130 a month.

Then the R turned up, with cracking lease deals and colossal residuals - who'd buy a £400pm GTI over a £300pm R? Not many. The R became truly mainstream - it was the GTI that was the rare sight on the roads.

Dieselgate and the end of giveaway Rs through far lower GFVs and no great lease deals has seen the GTI rise back to popularity over the last few years. Of course most have come to realise that direct injection petrols are kicking out far more particulates than a DPF equipped diesel, hence the incoming GPFs.

I do hope that the people who make emissions legislative decisions will come to realise that a highly wound tiny engine working hard all the time is not the cleanest solution in terms of real driving emissions.

When we get some solid info on the MK8 things will pick up again - I dread to think what the MK8 performance Golfs will cost.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #35 on: 05 November 2018, 06:38 »
I think the comparative reliability and lack if issues with the mk7/7.5s is a contributing factor.
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #36 on: 05 November 2018, 13:26 »
The first debate driver is always dissatisfaction, with satisfaction always a distant second.

Which is one of reasons rarely subject myself to watching the news is that the bias is always towards the negative and good news is not really news.

In my professional role its understood that you are doing a good job if you rarely hear from customers and management which you would certainly do if not doing role well.

And though there is those who are unfortunate and have had varying degrees of issues with the MK7 in the main the car has proven to be a really solid model run that is pretty much the best it can be from the fixes and lifts over its life cycle.

My journey was from the GTD to the R where this forum at the time was invaluable in having me making now proven the informed choices that needed to make.

But there was a settling point of having the car and there really was not much to say aside from enjoying the car itself and the R does give me that every day walk up to and then drive off.

Be choosing my next ride in May and likely another R and not much to ask from anyone as understand the car and the options and really the time spent on forums is giving newbie buyers some pointers and sharing in their satisfaction, its always nice to see someone join the MK7 club, have a look at the photos of the shining pride of joy, and basically in knowledge you know how good the experience is going to be for them.

Also personally like to see the mods threads as though something not do myself I do admire the skill and most of the end results

So do lurk more than talk but this forum and the R forum have a great core of members and even if the traffic is low the quality and more so the comradery.

So the MK 7 in terms of dialogue is a victim to its success but think we all appreciate that no news is sometimes a very good thing as we enjoy each mile on the road.

Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC