Author Topic: GTi or R  (Read 15836 times)

Offline king monkey

• I live here
Re: GTi or R
« Reply #80 on: 28 August 2018, 18:02 »
Having driven both cars and currently owning an S3, I think that the gti makes more sense on a day to day basis. It seems more fun but maybe that depends on how much you buy into the gti heritage?

Fuel costs between an gti and S3 (understand it’s not an R) have been negligible.
Illustration of what different drivers are looking for (with the caveat all GTI drivers are different and not like me).
An R owner told me "Whatever, you must get the DCC." Me: "Why?" R Owner: "It makes the suspension so much stiffer on Sport mode". Me: "I'll rarely drive it in Sport mode. I'm thinking about getting the DCC because it makes the suspension softer and more luxurious in Comfort mode."
Then, R owner told me "The R sounds so much better than the GTI". Me: "Is it more refined then and quieter in the caabin? "R owner: "No, it's louder, check out those pops and crackles and overruns." 
R owner: "Great when you track it".
Me: "When I track it? WTF? I just want an affordable, relatively refined and comfortable car that isn't slow and I can have a bit of fun in."
As I say. For me, it depends entirely on your driving style and what you're looking for.

100% agree. Buy the car car that suits you.

What I’ve learnt over the years is that more bhp doesn’t equal more fun or a ‘better’ car. The gti is a great car.

However, if the TCR is too much I might well buy an R!
« Last Edit: 28 August 2018, 18:06 by king monkey »
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #81 on: 29 August 2018, 13:38 »
I'm hardly driving the R at the moment - been running in the Polo GTI+ and it is a bit more chuckable than the Golf, even if it isn't as quick. The wife has the R for her commute (she's scared to try the DSG) and i'm not missing it. Have a dilemma on my hands as to whether to keep the R long term or to chop it in when it's 4 years old next year. If we do chop it in, we may get a manual Polo GTI+ in Diamond Black (the one we have is Flash red DSG) if the new A1 will cost a fortune in options to get a decent spec.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #82 on: 29 August 2018, 14:19 »
I reckon the new A1 will start around £16.5k with an S1 around £27k. Cars are becoming v expensive.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #83 on: 29 August 2018, 15:23 »
ICars are becoming v expensive.

Very true. Golf GTI RRP is up 46% in 9 years - with record low inflation for that period. Very soon not to be the peoples car if it gets any pricier.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #84 on: 29 August 2018, 15:36 »

Very true. Golf GTI RRP is up 46% in 9 years - with record low inflation for that period. Very soon not to be the peoples car if it gets any pricier.

Yep. When I got my mk5 think it was about £21.5k. Now around £28k with the spec I’d want. Plus gfv seems to be taking a hit. That all equals a big swing in the wrong direction. There’s very little difference in gfv between an R and a gti too. I think!

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #85 on: 29 August 2018, 16:33 »

How does that compare to say a Focus ST or Civic Type R?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #86 on: 29 August 2018, 16:37 »
Let me answer that

the Type R question.... 2009 £19995.... 2018 £31995.... thats over 50% more expensive.

The Focus ST 2009 £18250 2018 £25735... 41% more (assuming I got the like for like models to compare)

So Golf GTI.... middle of the road it seems.

How have all of these cars shot up in price? Well, its almost certainly because they contain much more tech than 9 years ago.

Would a car 9 years ago get you from A to B? Yes of course... but now you do it more conveniently and maybe more enviromentally (ahahah!)
« Last Edit: 29 August 2018, 16:52 by fredgroves »
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #87 on: 29 August 2018, 19:15 »
List prices are only half the story. When I bought my GT TDi back in 2004 I got about £1,400 discount going through Drive The Deal.

Just run a quote for a Mk7.5 same spec (or as close as dammit), and the discount is over £4.5k. More than 3 times the discount. It's about £3k or 20% more than I paid 14 years ago, but includes things that mine didn’t have, such as sat nav, cruise control, multi-function steering wheel, rear privacy glass, parking sensors etc.

So I don't think we're doing all that badly to be fair.
7.5 GTD

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #88 on: 29 August 2018, 19:51 »
I will revisit my forum expressed view of a few months ago that secondhand R prices have long been blighted by the ridiculously cheap lease deals pushed on Rs and GTDs but never offered on GTIs over several years. Always thought the R must have been massively undersold by VW given what a weapon it is.
Any idea why VW seemed to “dump” Rs into the market especially maybe into the business user area?
Business car and lease/pcp cars have always made me nervous about buying second hand for reasons I hardly need explain.
But maybe that’s the view of an outright cash buyer/owner.
Annoying bugger, eh?
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #89 on: 30 August 2018, 17:32 »
In 2005 Clarkson raved about the MK5 GTI, now as I recall the base 3 door manual was £19995, If someone cares to check the base Mk7.5 GTI  manual GTI today I think you'll find it's nothing like 50% more! In fact, if you consider the standard kit today and spec similar on a 2005 you'll find it's probably in line with inflation over that period. IMO relatively cheaper considering discounts available for buyers.
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.