Author Topic: New Mk7 estate steering to right.  (Read 2477 times)

Offline Mearcat

• Just got here
New Mk7 estate steering to right.
« on: 14 December 2014, 11:49 »
Hello fellow Golf people.  I have had my new Mk7 1.6 TDI SE Estate now for 5 days. It is a company car which replaced my MK6. I'm liking the car very much but I have one slight niggle that is doing my head in. If I point my steering wheel to dead centre, the car turns right. To drive straightforward I have to steer slightly to the left, only slightly but it's very annoying and on a long journey from Norwich to Burnley recently, was very tiring. My old Mk6 wasn't like this. It's not torque steer, it's constant and very noticeable on the motorway where a right hand turn is accomplished with the steering wheel being in the centre position.
Is this a tracking problem ? My Tyre pressures are correct.
I'm sure if I take it to my local dealer they will fob me off with some excuse about road camber etc, which has happened in the past with on other car I had 10 years ago.
I don't want to be turning left for the next 3 years. Any ideas ?

Offline phope

• I live here
Re: New Mk7 estate steering to right.
« Reply #1 on: 14 December 2014, 12:29 »
Road camber would usually give a slight pull to the left, in my experience (think about how the road is cambered)

I'd ask for it to be inspected to make sure alignment is correct

Golf Mk8 R order cancelled...awaiting company car instead
Tiguan 1.5 Elegance for the wife & dogs
Skoda 1.5 SEL cheap lease special

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 14 December 2014, 12:36 »
Hello fellow Golf people.  I have had my new Mk7 1.6 TDI SE Estate now for 5 days. It is a company car which replaced my MK6. I'm liking the car very much but I have one slight niggle that is doing my head in. If I point my steering wheel to dead centre, the car turns right. To drive straightforward I have to steer slightly to the left, only slightly but it's very annoying and on a long journey from Norwich to Burnley recently, was very tiring. My old Mk6 wasn't like this. It's not torque steer, it's constant and very noticeable on the motorway where a right hand turn is accomplished with the steering wheel being in the centre position.
Is this a tracking problem ? My Tyre pressures are correct.
I'm sure if I take it to my local dealer they will fob me off with some excuse about road camber etc, which has happened in the past with on other car I had 10 years ago.
I don't want to be turning left for the next 3 years. Any ideas ?

Does the car consistently PULL to the right when you are driving in a straight line without you touching the steering wheel? If it does not PULL to the right in such a case, then the steering wheel needs to be centred. If the car consistently PULLs to the right without any input from yourself, then it is the tracking most probably or something else. Very annoying. A trip to the dealer is recommended. Hope you get it sorted.
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline Mearcat

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 14 December 2014, 12:45 »
Many thanks for your replies.
To answer your questions, if I was to take my hands off the wheel on a flat motorway at 60pm the car would steer to the right and the steering wheel would go to its centre position without my input. To stay in my lane I need to turn the wheel an inch to the left.
It's certainly not road camber as my last golf and 5 cars previous did not have this problem on the very same roads.
I will take it to my local VW dealer for inspection as soon as possible.
Many thanks again.

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 14 December 2014, 14:31 »
To answer your questions, if I was to take my hands off the wheel on a flat motorway at 60pm the car would steer to the right and the steering wheel would go to its centre position without my input. To stay in my lane I need to turn the wheel an inch to the left.

Could be tracking, uneven tyre pressures, a binding brake on the right hand side or other suspension related issue.

So, before going to the dealer check the tyre pressures - they'd have to be quite a way out to cause this.

I will take it to my local VW dealer for inspection as soon as possible.

After checking the tyre pressures, this would seem reasonable...

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline Damo66

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 14 December 2014, 17:49 »
My GTD didn't feel right when I got it, turned out the wheel alignment was out, I had the same problem with a MK6 when I got it..
Beetle (1975)
MK2 Golf GTI 16V
MK3 Golf GTI
Corrado G60
MK3 VR6
Passat Sport PDI
MK4 Golf GTI PDI 150
MK5 GTDI 140
MK5 Golf GTI
MK6 Golf R
MK6 Golf GTD
MK6 Golf GTI Ed 35
Beetle Sport TDI
MK7 Golf GTD

Offline skippy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 14 December 2014, 21:02 »
Our Polo GTI has a tendency to pull to the left, and the front tyres have worn unevenly on the outside edges. I am off to get the alignment checked this week as a matter of priority.
MK7.5 2020, Isaac Blue, standard spec

Gone but certainly not forgotten Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TSI