Author Topic: Advice needed - glow plug warning light  (Read 1098 times)

Offline Ross Detours

• GTI forum regular
Advice needed - glow plug warning light
« on: 11 December 2014, 11:03 »
So I started the car this morning to go to work - no issues. Travelled about 3 miles and then had to stop at roadworks. Foot off the clutch, engine cut out (start-stop) and then the glow plug light started flashing on the dash. Foot back on the clutch and got the 'start car manually' message. Car was now in limp mode and vehicle status said 'start stop system not available'.

I drove a further mile or two before stopping to check the manual but couldn't find anything of use. Started the car again and all was fine; no warning lights, start stop worked, no limp mode. But, it did take the rest of my commute to get up to temperature...

Any ideas what this could have been?

Offline virginVWman

• Here all the time
Re: Advice needed - glow plug warning light
« Reply #1 on: 11 December 2014, 11:31 »
I got this a few times when running with my DTUK box. Andrew said it may have been due to running my box on too high a setting with the hot weather (back in July), so unsure what yours could be. You are running a box also aren't you? Try turning the box down this time of year, with all the wet roads no point on top whack. May be a freak occurrence but its not good when it happens on a busy road like I had
Mk VII 3dr GTD in DBP
Fitted DTUK Stage 2 (CRD-T)

Offline Ross Detours

• GTI forum regular
Re: Advice needed - glow plug warning light
« Reply #2 on: 11 December 2014, 11:46 »
Yes, I am running a box on map 3+1 but I didn't think that was too high! But good point, I'll try notching it down over the winter and hopefully this was just a one off!