Author Topic: November 2014 Navigation Map Update is available.  (Read 8155 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: November 2014 Navigation Map Update is available.
« Reply #20 on: 13 December 2014, 08:34 »
Yeah when you go into the version screen it says "2015", the previous one said "2014".

Despite me being really worried, indeed panicky at times, I just left it going over 2 days. Leave the card in, just drive around normally and eventually it will magically say "complete!".

Don't take the card out until it says it.

During the upgrade expect all sorts of things related to the DNS Pro to stop randomly working, but they will come back.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Mr Savage

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 13 December 2014, 18:27 »
I updated my discover nav today. The smaller screen version (non PRO). I've put the SD card in with the new maps and been stuck on "Checking Navigation Files..." For 20 minutes until giving up and turning the ignition off. How long does this take? The files should be loaded directly from the SD as the non PRO version has no SSD drive?
Current - MK7 Golf GTI - Tornado Red, 5 Door, DSG, Performance Pack, Dynamic Chasis Control, Panoramic Sunroof, Discover Navigation, Dynaudio.

On Order - MK7 Golf R - Pearlescent Black, 3 Door, DSG, Vienna Leather, Discover Nav Pro, Rear View Camera, High Beam Assist, Keyless Entry, Dynaudio (Tech Pack)

All gone.

Now;

MK7 Golf R - Lapiz Blue, 5 Door, DSG, Carbon Nappa, Discover Nav Pro.

Offline Tonebatch

• Not said much yet
« Reply #22 on: 14 December 2014, 21:07 »
I resent having to download these updates myself. It was suggested by Listers Volkswagon in Worcester that each car should have its own SD card with embedded chassis no. You use this to download updates. I did not receive an SD card with my Discover Nav Pro on my GTI. But it is suggested in this thread that should be the case. I successfully carried out the May update but for some reason am having a few problems with Novembers. My biggest problem is I don't have a computer only an IPad. I don't see why I should have to purchase a computer just to upgrade my sat nav every six months.   :angry:

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #23 on: 14 December 2014, 21:35 »
My biggest problem is I don't have a computer only an IPad. I don't see why I should have to purchase a computer just to upgrade my sat nav every six months.   :angry:

I'd go ask Apple why you can't download and transfer files onto memory sticks... their problem, not VW's.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline pjr

• Not said much yet
« Reply #24 on: 14 December 2014, 23:47 »
I updated my discover nav today. The smaller screen version (non PRO). I've put the SD card in with the new maps and been stuck on "Checking Navigation Files..." For 20 minutes until giving up and turning the ignition off. How long does this take? The files should be loaded directly from the SD as the non PRO version has no SSD drive?

Shouldn't take any time at all when you put the 'new' maps in. I'm not even aware of getting a 'Checking Navigation Files' message, although I might have missed it. Maybe the files are corrupt in some way?
Tornado Red Golf GTI 5 Door (220PS) - Discover Nav, Winter Pack, Mudflaps & Service Plan (Built BW11 & collected 5th April 2014)

Spritmonitor Fuel Economy :

Offline pjr

• Not said much yet
« Reply #25 on: 14 December 2014, 23:53 »
I resent having to download these updates myself. It was suggested by Listers Volkswagon in Worcester that each car should have its own SD card with embedded chassis no. You use this to download updates. I did not receive an SD card with my Discover Nav Pro on my GTI. But it is suggested in this thread that should be the case. I successfully carried out the May update but for some reason am having a few problems with Novembers. My biggest problem is I don't have a computer only an IPad. I don't see why I should have to purchase a computer just to upgrade my sat nav every six months.   :angry:

You only get the SD card from VW with the Discover Nav, not the Discover Pro - you can use any suitable SD card to update the Discover Pro (From what I've read anyway, I have the Discover Nav, so can't say for certain)

Curious as to how you did the May update without a computer though ?

I think it's a good thing that we can update the maps ourselves - plenty other manufacturers will charge you for each and every update, and although the cost of the updates has been built into the upfront cost of speccing nav, being able to update the data yourself is a step in the right direction.
Tornado Red Golf GTI 5 Door (220PS) - Discover Nav, Winter Pack, Mudflaps & Service Plan (Built BW11 & collected 5th April 2014)

Spritmonitor Fuel Economy :

Offline Mr Savage

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 16 December 2014, 18:49 »

Shouldn't take any time at all when you put the 'new' maps in. I'm not even aware of getting a 'Checking Navigation Files' message, although I might have missed it. Maybe the files are corrupt in some way?

I started the car up the next morning and the Nav screen booted up as normal and the version says 2015 so no idea what caused it before.
Current - MK7 Golf GTI - Tornado Red, 5 Door, DSG, Performance Pack, Dynamic Chasis Control, Panoramic Sunroof, Discover Navigation, Dynaudio.

On Order - MK7 Golf R - Pearlescent Black, 3 Door, DSG, Vienna Leather, Discover Nav Pro, Rear View Camera, High Beam Assist, Keyless Entry, Dynaudio (Tech Pack)

All gone.

Now;

MK7 Golf R - Lapiz Blue, 5 Door, DSG, Carbon Nappa, Discover Nav Pro.