Author Topic: Aftermarket alloy wheel advise.  (Read 8713 times)

Offline carl1

• I live here
Aftermarket alloy wheel advise.
« on: 09 December 2014, 16:18 »
As title. I really like my car GTI with PP but the wheels i'm not that keen on (Austins). I don't want to spend thousands on wheels so i done a quick search on Ebay and i came across some 18" Santiago copy's for about £400. Am i best to avoid these copy wheels and stick with what iv'e got or are they ok.
Also are they ET 45 or 49 on the GTI.
Thanks for any advise.
GTI manual PP, now sold  :-(

Offline kenny.c

• GTI forum regular
Re: Aftermarket alloy wheel advise.
« Reply #1 on: 09 December 2014, 16:48 »
OEM Austins are ET49

Myself id avoid copies....most tend to be very heavy and have a poor finish to them. Maybe look around for other OEM wheels from Audi - Seat - Skoda

Ken
« Last Edit: 09 December 2014, 16:51 by kenny.c »
GTI - PP

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 09 December 2014, 17:29 »
whhhhaaaaattt, the Austins are the nicest part of my car lol. However if you wanna change them, may I suggest you put an advert up for a swap, OEM for OEM, i am sure there are similar minded people to me that drive audis, skoda's and seats...

I wouldnt be taking them off for knock-offs.
2007: Leon PD170
2010: Leon CR170
2013: Golf GTI PP
2016: A45 AMG

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 09 December 2014, 17:33 »
I dont like the cupra's and youd be hard pushed to find someone wanting to swap 19's for 18's but the 18" ‘Gemini’ anthracite alloys i do like, off the vrs...
2007: Leon PD170
2010: Leon CR170
2013: Golf GTI PP
2016: A45 AMG

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 09 December 2014, 19:18 »
There are a certain amount of replicas sold as "replacement" wheels which are made in Italy and are of good quality with TUV approval.
99% of replica alloy wheels are Chinese knock offs which should be viewed in the same way as any other Chinese knock offs. You'll either be lucky or most likely get something with poor construction and finish, which is fine if it's just a household electrical gadget, but not ideal if it's going to be used at 70mph keeping your heavy car on the road complete with its occupants. And the diamond cut finish just ain't gonna last is it?

There are loads of aftermarket wheels that look far nicer than the Austins.
I've got a set of Rondell 02RZ alloys on my GTI which look pretty OEM and MAK wheels do an 18" wheel that's good quality and looks totally OEM and even takes the original bolts and centre caps called 'WOLF'.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline carl1

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 09 December 2014, 22:27 »
I quite like those Rondel's. Have you got any pics of them on the car?

Offline carl1

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 09 December 2014, 22:36 »
 Anybody heard of these and do you think they would suit the mk7 or are they too boy racer ?
http://cdn3.wheelbasealloys.com//product-images/productlarge_9585_600.jpg
« Last Edit: 09 December 2014, 22:41 by carl1 »

Offline golfhappy

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 10 December 2014, 00:00 »
There are a certain amount of replicas sold as "replacement" wheels which are made in Italy and are of good quality with TUV approval.
99% of replica alloy wheels are Chinese knock offs which should be viewed in the same way as any other Chinese knock offs. You'll either be lucky or most likely get something with poor construction and finish, which is fine if it's just a household electrical gadget, but not ideal if it's going to be used at 70mph keeping your heavy car on the road complete with its occupants. And the diamond cut finish just ain't gonna last is it?

I've got a set of Rondell 02RZ alloys on my GTI which look pretty OEM and MAK wheels do an 18" wheel that's good quality and looks totally OEM and even takes the original bolts and centre caps called 'WOLF'.

Even if it's a household electrical gadget i'd avoid...i bought a guitar recently with an all singing and dancing Tronical tuner, had to have the proper charger from Germany  at £32 or chinese one from ebay and a burned down house the choice was easy!!!!! i own golf R replicas..i hold my head in shame  :cry:
Audi S1 gone, awaiting 1.5tsi r-line, pan roof, led lights front and rear, active dash, 18" jurva alloys and a dealer fitted Oettinger roof spoiler in tornado red.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 10 December 2014, 05:01 »
I quite like those Rondel's. Have you got any pics of them on the car?
Anybody heard of these and do you think they would suit the mk7 or are they too boy racer ?
http://cdn3.wheelbasealloys.com//product-images/productlarge_9585_600.jpg
They'd be more suited to the rounded styling of the mk5/6 I reckon. Nice wheels but the mk7 needs quite angular wheels to match the car's lines
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 10 December 2014, 05:02 »

Even if it's a household electrical gadget i'd avoid...i bought a guitar recently with an all singing and dancing Tronical tuner, had to have the proper charger from Germany  at £32 or chinese one from ebay and a burned down house the choice was easy!!!!! i own golf R replicas..i hold my head in shame  :cry:
A point well made!
Now let's see a photo of the car!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner