Author Topic: Climate Windscreen  (Read 5387 times)

Offline Rhino

• Just got here
Climate Windscreen
« on: 25 November 2014, 13:07 »
Hi All,

I've just picked up my 6 month old GTD a few weeks ago. On the spec, it listed that it has "Climate Windscreen". However, when I use the VW configurator, it states that Advanced Telephone Connection has to be added as well, which I understand adds a USB socket to the compartment under the centre armrest? My car doesn't have this USB port.

On the heater control touch screen menu, I do have an icon in the bottom left that looks like a windscreen with a zig-zag line through it.

Does my car have climate windscreen? The dealer is sure it has, however they didn't know it had the reversing camera or high beam assist, so I can't count on their info being correct.

Many thanks.
2014 GTD 5 Door - Carbon Grey - Winter Pack - Dynaudio - Discover Pro Navigation - Rear View Camera - High Beam Assist

Offline silver38

• Not said much yet
Re: Climate Windscreen
« Reply #1 on: 25 November 2014, 13:47 »
This is the PR code     PKS Climate windscreen
                              KA1 Rear view camera
                              8G1 High beam assistant

You'll find these on the data sticker in the boot or service booklet.
MKVII GTD Manual - Pure White, 5Door, Adaptive chassis control, Advance telephone connection, Climate comfort windscreen, Discover Nav pro, High beam assist, Keyless entry, Sport and Sound pack, Park assist system with steering assist, Rear view camera, Rear side airbags with rear seatbelt warning, Winter pack, 5 Year Warranty

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 25 November 2014, 14:20 »
You can spec the Advanced Telephone Connection (ATC) without the Climate Windscreen (CW).
But if you spec the CW, you must spec ATC.
As you don't have the extra USB socket which you say comes with ATC, it looks like you don't have ATC. This means you don't have CW either.

Look at your windscreen carefully in bright light to see the heating elements,
« Last Edit: 25 November 2014, 14:21 by am1w »
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline Lock_r

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 25 November 2014, 16:35 »
Sounds like you have it to me.

If you press the icon in the bottom left of the touch screen when you're in the climate heating menu (the windscreen with the zigzags) and you notice a little icon appear at the top of the media nav, on the same bar as the temperature, time and suspension setting then you definiately have the climate windscreen option.

It isn't like Ford, where if you look at the windscreen against the sunlight you can see the elements.  I can't see anything on mine, and I definitely have it.  Guy at the dealer told me it works by having a thin layer in between two glass layers which is then electrified from the edges.

:smiley:

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #4 on: 25 November 2014, 17:01 »
take a photo of the section with the vw logo and all the numbers on the windscreen and post it here....

i have the CW and can compare it with numbers on mine
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline iandjm

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 25 November 2014, 18:01 »
If it appears on the climate menu you must have it.  Try selecting the 'view convenience consumers' display on instrument cluster (screen between the two dials) and select the icon showing the windscreen with the zigzags on the climate menu. You will see 'climate windscreen' appear on the list of consumers. This proves its there and woring.  By the way you wont be able to see any little wires in the screen, as there arnt any. The screen works with a conductive metallic layer in the glass.

Ian
2017 MY Golf R 3dr DSG | Lapiz Blue | Dynaudio | Heated Screen | Advanced Phone | Sat Nav | Winter Pack

Offline Rhino

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 26 November 2014, 06:50 »
Thanks for the advice. It isn't listed on the options in the front of my service book and I cant find a sticker in the boot / wheel well as it is all carpeted. Is it anywhere else?

Its weird, my rear view camera, winter pack, high beam assist are all missing from the service book options. I wonder if the one suggested in the boot will be any different?

Ill check out the suggestion of convenience consumers this morning on my way to work. Ill also get a photo of the icon that appears.

Do you guys that have the Climate Windscreen all have the additional USB port in the compartment under the armrest?
2014 GTD 5 Door - Carbon Grey - Winter Pack - Dynaudio - Discover Pro Navigation - Rear View Camera - High Beam Assist

Offline GTD_777

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 26 November 2014, 15:25 »
With my climate windscreen I had to spec advanced telephone module and I do have the usb in the glove box.

I have to say the climate windscreen was very impressive two days ago when I went to the car at 4 am and there was a thick layer of frost to clear. 2 - 3 minutes and it was sorted well before there was any sort of heat in the engine to help clear it.

Offline Steve78

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 26 November 2014, 15:34 »
From what I gather the climate screen seems to activate itself when it falls below a certain temp, is that right?  I didn't activate it this morning but it was definitely doing its thing to clear the frost.

Offline iandjm

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 26 November 2014, 18:46 »
From what I gather the climate screen seems to activate itself when it falls below a certain temp, is that right?  I didn't activate it this morning but it was definitely doing its thing to clear the frost.

Hi Yes, it is triggered by both temperature, humidity in the cabin and the difference in temperature outside to inside, all of which can cause the windscreen to steam up.  its brilliant eh
2017 MY Golf R 3dr DSG | Lapiz Blue | Dynaudio | Heated Screen | Advanced Phone | Sat Nav | Winter Pack