Author Topic: Album Art Discover Pro  (Read 1461 times)

Offline Rhino

• Just got here
Album Art Discover Pro
« on: 25 November 2014, 13:00 »
Afternoon All,

I've had my Mk7 GTD 5 door in Carbon Grey for a few weeks now. Great car, lots of extras!

I've got an iPod Touch connected via USB to my Discover Pro Headunit. I've noticed album art doesn't always display - sometimes I get a black box and sometimes a generic image such as "Pop".

All my music has art work embedded via iTunes. I have found if I press the track skip back button to restart the song, the album art will then display for the same track that didn't display on the first play.

Has anyone come across this?

Many thanks.
2014 GTD 5 Door - Carbon Grey - Winter Pack - Dynaudio - Discover Pro Navigation - Rear View Camera - High Beam Assist

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Album Art Discover Pro
« Reply #1 on: 25 November 2014, 13:38 »
Yes, it can be a bit random.... I actually find the ipod behaves worse than using an SD card, although the SD card can also be funny - it uses the gracenote database (which is on the SSD) to pick it up. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't (usually when you've added a new album - it can take a couple of restarts of the car before it caches it or something).

The whole thing is very frustrating, but that's OEM car audio for you.
« Last Edit: 26 November 2014, 08:23 by fredgroves »
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Rhino

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 26 November 2014, 06:52 »
Thanks, I was hoping there was some sort of update available for the head unit itself.
2014 GTD 5 Door - Carbon Grey - Winter Pack - Dynaudio - Discover Pro Navigation - Rear View Camera - High Beam Assist

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 26 November 2014, 08:25 »
No, I think the last version was one from the end of 2013 - can't remember the version number off hand 2.x??

That cured some serious lockup issues, but once that was done it looks like further development has been stopped.

Doesn't surprise me, these units are designed and made by a 3rd party, I am guessing support is only major issues and or 6 months from sale (initially to VW). Then its onto the new model.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Lock_r

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 02 December 2014, 11:27 »
Could it be the image resolution of the album art?

I know I read that if it's above 400x400 then it doesn't display properly.  I only use mp3s i added the art to myself, so I don't get the problem that much.

It could be that the art in iTunes is embedding on some tracks at a higher res than others, but that's just a guess.

Check out http://www.haydnwilliams.com/blog/vw-golf-mk7-sd-cards-and-album-art
Of course this isn't related to Apple/iTunes directly, but the principle sounds the same as we have no idea what res iTunes is embedding them at.

Offline Rhino

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 03 December 2014, 06:39 »
It seems to be completely random, it can happen to one song one day, then the next day the same song works fine first time. It must just be a bug. Its a bit annoying but I can live with it.