Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2791572 times)

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #7500 on: 31 October 2017, 20:14 »
Fitted my Leyo Motorsport aluminium climate/radio knobs  :cool:

I actually like the idea behind them, but as they are additional to the standard knobs, the fact they make them bigger might be what people don't like about them. I would like them if they were not quite so massive - although if I wasn't used to the size of my knobs heater controls I might like them.

Don't realise how dated and small the Mk7 infotainment unit looks unless you are used to the large screen in the Mk7.5..  :shocked:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #7501 on: 31 October 2017, 20:25 »
The older units with the physical buttons are easier to use on the move though than the touchscreens are.
7.5 GTD

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #7502 on: 31 October 2017, 20:31 »
Used my GTI as a workhorse.. Fitted in 2 large wash buckets, karcher, extension, steps, large box of products. Couldn't get it all in the boot though - realised the boot on the Golf isn't really that big...    :rolleyes:

« Last Edit: 31 October 2017, 20:34 by Jim_mk7.5 »
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #7503 on: 31 October 2017, 20:33 »
The older units with the physical buttons are easier to use on the move though than the touchscreens are.

Mine has the buttons... But these units on the Mk7/7.5 are miles away from the other Germans in terms of ease of use though making the Golf is positively dangerous compared to say a recent Merc or Beemer.
NOW - 330e M Sport

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #7504 on: 01 November 2017, 06:47 »
You don't seem to like your golf much Jim. Boots too small and media screen isn't good enough for you either.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #7505 on: 01 November 2017, 09:13 »
You don't seem to like your golf much Jim. Boots too small and media screen isn't good enough for you either.

It's probably one of the best all round cars I've had. But I don't wear rose (VW) tinted glasses so I can see the faults. Personally I find touch screens dangerous and far less intuitive than say central mounted wheels which are far easier to use.

The boot point was a little tongue in cheek as in I probably need a van!
NOW - 330e M Sport

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #7506 on: 01 November 2017, 09:14 »

Mine has the buttons... But these units on the Mk7/7.5 are miles away from the other Germans in terms of ease of use though making the Golf is positively dangerous compared to say a recent Merc or Beemer.

It really needs the twiddly controller thing which you can have in an A3, so its not like VAG don't have a clue about this stuff.

I use voice control a lot now, the new NavPro actually has improved voice control that usually works for the things I want to do.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #7507 on: 01 November 2017, 09:31 »

It really needs the twiddly controller thing which you can have in an A3, so its not like VAG don't have a clue about this stuff.

I use voice control a lot now, the new NavPro actually has improved voice control that usually works for the things I want to do.

I know, they put it in Audi's so don't see why not VW. I use the Apple Car play quite a look and that is great for calls etc but sat nav entry and all the other settings are a PITA to use unless stationary.
NOW - 330e M Sport

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #7508 on: 01 November 2017, 10:36 »
I use Android Auto for Nav (either google maps or wayez), even with NavPro... easy to enter using voice control using that!

The VW voice control is pretty good, but struggles a bit with place names in the UK. I guess our pronounciation of place names is tricky.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #7509 on: 01 November 2017, 10:51 »
I use Android Auto for Nav (either google maps or wayez), even with NavPro... easy to enter using voice control using that!

The VW voice control is pretty good, but struggles a bit with place names in the UK. I guess our pronounciation of place names is tricky.

You have to speak like lieutenant Gruber from Alo Alo to get it to work right.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17