Author Topic: Opinions on Sealants please  (Read 4797 times)

Offline Gtiless

• Here all the time
Re: Opinions on Sealants please
« Reply #10 on: 06 October 2013, 12:10 »
Thanks, so would you seal it after a polish then wax it?
Does that sound about right?

Yes, that's right  - polish - seal - wax  :smiley:

That said, you can opt to use a sealant OR wax.  This is the protection element and both do the job but not everyone uses both, it's down to personal choice.

Sealants = synthetic - glass/mirror like finish.    Wax = natural or hybrid - glossy, deep warm finish

This is a useful quick guide and breaks down the process    http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/generalImg/guide.gif

Sorry for all the stupid questions but realistically to do this would I need remove the wax and start again by claying it?
Or would it be possible to seal on top of the wax then wax again?
« Last Edit: 06 October 2013, 12:37 by Gtiless »

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 06 October 2013, 13:52 »
I wouldn't put sealant on top of wax as it may not bond properly.  Best to start afresh.  I would always clay before polishing, otherwise you risk pushing any contaminants further into the paintwork.   Claying will remove all the old wax thus giving you a fresh base for the protection phases.  As a guide:

1. Wash
2. Clay
3. Wash and dry
4. Polish
5. Seal or wax OR seal and wax

At best it'll take whole day, possibly more.  You need to plan it out time wise and weather wise too.
« Last Edit: 06 October 2013, 14:01 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Gtiless

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 06 October 2013, 22:22 »
Right,thanks for your help.
I don't really know when I will find time to do this when its not chucking it down or I already have something else to do though!
I don't get time to scratch me ar$e! :cry: