Author Topic: cutting compound  (Read 4163 times)

Offline tobybrennan

• I live here
  • GL get out the way, and make way for a 16v anni
cutting compound
« on: 03 July 2010, 21:19 »
can anyone tell me a good cutting compound from halfords :)
and how to use it

trying to get a more shiny finish and ive been told to use this?

thanks in advance

Offline Rmachines

• I live here
  • Passat 20vT Estate and Candy White MK3 1.8 GL
Re: cutting compound
« Reply #1 on: 04 July 2010, 00:58 »
hmm, well i cant find one in halfords so that doesnt help.. but...

3M do some good ones!

I used to do a lot of it,  used .. in this order

3M Fast cut plus
3M Perfect it
3M Anti hologram

.. then of course a good polish

Each one has a colour coded polishing pad for a machine polisher that matches the bottle top,  i don't know what size bottles they do, we use 1L bottles which are pricey for all three but they are very good, i used to use them to restore/prep cars at a dealership, correct foam pads are a must though,   personally i would phone around a few paint suppliers and see what they can supply,  dont get mixed up with things like the classic G3, some are very harsh and not made for making it "shiney"  you can get away with cutting it back with perfect it and then polish,  anti hologram is more for when the fast cut has gone deep and its left marks. a good polish will do that.

Alternative is to use t-cut with a machine, then polish.  Unless your paint is very dull and surface scratched,  it will probably do the job just fine.
10 golfs and counting! 

Engine cranes = the ultimate tool to test the tensile strength of Everything you didn't disconnect!

Offline tobybrennan

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 04 July 2010, 19:40 »

3M do some good ones!

3M Fast cut plus
3M Perfect it
3M Anti hologram

Each one has a colour coded polishing pad for a machine polisher that matches the bottle top,  i don't know what size bottles they do, we use 1L bottles which are pricey for all three but they are very good, i used to use them to restore/prep cars at a dealership, correct foam pads are a must though,   personally i would phone around a few paint suppliers and see what they can supply,  dont get mixed up with things like the classic G3, some are very harsh and not made for making it "shiney"  you can get away with cutting it back with perfect it and then polish,  anti hologram is more for when the fast cut has gone deep and its left marks. a good polish will do that.

Alternative is to use t-cut with a machine, then polish.  Unless your paint is very dull and surface scratched,  it will probably do the job just fine.

so cut it back using fine sandpaper? then tcut leave to dry then polish?

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 04 July 2010, 20:01 »

3M do some good ones!

3M Fast cut plus
3M Perfect it
3M Anti hologram

wtf?!  :shocked:

no... I don't think he was saying that at all!!

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 04 July 2010, 20:03 »
can anyone tell me a good cutting compound from halfords :)
and how to use it

trying to get a more shiny finish and ive been told to use this?

thanks in advance

further to the answer from RMachines... my first question would be...

are you planning on polishing your car by hand or with a machine polisher?

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
« Reply #5 on: 04 July 2010, 22:14 »

3M do some good ones!

3M Fast cut plus
3M Perfect it
3M Anti hologram

dude you need to look in here before you touch your car with anything!! your either having a stephy graff with that reply^ or you havnt a clue about what you are about to attempt.

please read http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?board=78.0

I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!

Offline tobybrennan

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 05 July 2010, 14:48 »
this is just what other people on here have told me :s

i'll be using a machine polisher

Offline Dawnskaybug

• GTI forum regular
  • GoAPR.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: 06 July 2010, 00:18 »
Optimum just came out with a spray compound that from Beta testers who are considered top detailers in the US is the shnizzle. I just placed my order through AutoGeek. I ordered Hyper compound, Hyper Polish, Opti seal and Purple Pro Dodo Juice to try out(i have heard mixed reviews). I also use Opti no rinse every other day which is a rinse less car wash that produced no swirling everytime I used it but made the mistake of getting my car valeted at a car park in Luton :cry:.
APR K04//APR Carbonio Intake//Hawk HPS pads//Adams Rotors//Billy Banks Downpipe//APR Rear Sway bar

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 06 July 2010, 09:03 »
this is just what other people on here have told me :s

i'll be using a machine polisher

RMachines advice to go for 3M polishes is good advice... you can then use it with their different pad combination

try this sample set from elite  :wink:

http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/3m-perfect-it-iii-250ml-polish-sample-kit.php?cPath=27&osCsid=e6c5abe139ca74c9a12d0ac36b606380

Offline tobybrennan

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 06 July 2010, 12:35 »
i have the finish and shine im after now, just making it blend in