Author Topic: Upholstery cleaning  (Read 3509 times)

Offline Andy-H

• I live here
Upholstery cleaning
« on: 02 January 2010, 17:21 »
Hi everyone,

I received this today from a guy breaking his Corrado and as you can see, it's a bit mucky  :sad:

Unfortunately, Guy lives too far away so I thought I could possibly have a go mesen  :wink:. Trouble is, I haven't got any idea how to do this  :undecided:

Can this be done by myself or does it need professional help ??

Cheers,

Andy
'95 Mystic blue Mk3 2.0l 8v - gone
'93 2.0l 16v Corrado - gone (and missed)
'02 A4 Quattro sport - gone
'91 Black 2.1 16v Corrado -gone
'91 Tornado red Mk2

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
Re: Upholstery cleaning
« Reply #1 on: 02 January 2010, 17:42 »
from that pic id say you will need some neat g101 and a wet n dry machine with some brisk low foam, mist the seat with a little g101 to dampen slightly then go over it with a spray extraction machine and it should all lift out unless theres any nasty stains that might need more attention. you can hire these machines from sainburys,hss etc.

ive got all the said gear and im happy to do it for you :wink: would take about 15/20 mins to do this, where abouts you from dude?
« Last Edit: 02 January 2010, 17:47 by dubplate Dan »
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 02 January 2010, 17:51 »
yep.. what Dan said is exactly what I would do... agitate once you have sprayed the area with G101/brisk - use a stiff upholstery/nail brush like the one you can see on the following page just to the left of the dust pan & brush

http://www.vikan.com/sw2125.asp

Offline Andy-H

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 02 January 2010, 17:59 »
from that pic id say you will need some neat g101 and a wet n dry machine with some brisk low foam, mist the seat with a little g101 to dampen slightly then go over it with a spray extraction machine and it should all lift out unless theres any nasty stains that might need more attention. you can hire these machines from sainburys,hss etc.

ive got all the said gear and im happy to do it for you :wink: would take about 15/20 mins to do this, where abouts you from dude?

Cheers for the offer Dan, but I'm in Derbyshire so it would be quite a trek for you  :sad: The stains don't look too bad, just could be a problem I suppose on the bolsters  :undecided:

The missus says her sister has a vax carpet cleaner, would that be good enough ??

yep.. what Dan said is exactly what I would do... agitate once you have sprayed the area with G101/brisk - use a stiff upholstery/nail brush like the one you can see on the following page just to the left of the dust pan & brush

http://www.vikan.com/sw2125.asp

Cheers Guy, I think there's a place near here where I can get me mits on one of those.
'91 Tornado red Mk2

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 02 January 2010, 18:23 »
the vax would do you right... you could pop the G101/brisk into a spray and take it from there...

as long as you have something to spray your solution on with and suck it out with then you're onto a winner

you should be able to achieve results like this...

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=89507.msg1186179#msg1186179

Offline Andy-H

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 02 January 2010, 18:32 »
That looks Mint!!!

Wish you lived closer Guy, got a seat that needs cleaning  :laugh: :laugh:
'91 Tornado red Mk2

Offline Dan J

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 02 January 2010, 22:41 »
sounds like you've got it all covered now dude, one last tip though and thats dont soak the fabric too much or it will take ages to dry(obviously :grin:) but if it stays wet for too long the water will go staggnent and will stink big time and you'll have to do it all over again :cry:, also drop a few drops of zoflora into your cleaning solution which ive found helps to eliminate bacteria build up when its drying making it less lightly to pong after.

Offline Andy-H

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 03 January 2010, 07:50 »
sounds like you've got it all covered now dude, one last tip though and thats dont soak the fabric too much or it will take ages to dry(obviously :grin:) but if it stays wet for too long the water will go staggnent and will stink big time and you'll have to do it all over again :cry:, also drop a few drops of zoflora into your cleaning solution which ive found helps to eliminate bacteria build up when its drying making it less lightly to pong after.

Cheers for the tip Dan  :wink:

I shall quote this when the missus kicks off about the seat being next to the kitchen radiator  :laugh:
'91 Tornado red Mk2

Offline Dan J

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 04 January 2010, 13:30 »

Cheers for the tip Dan  :wink:

I shall quote this when the missus kicks off about the seat being next to the kitchen radiator  :laugh:

no probs Andy let us know how you get on;)

Offline Andy-H

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 04 January 2010, 19:49 »
Will do Dan,

Turns out the VAX I was going to borrow is only like an upright hoover so I'm going to search for one to hire  :sad:

I have got the G101 on order and sourcing a brush as well  :smiley:

Thanks again for the advice  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 04 January 2010, 19:55 by Andy-H »
'91 Tornado red Mk2