Author Topic: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?  (Read 653682 times)

Offline The ANT

• Here all the time
Re: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?
« Reply #2870 on: 26 October 2016, 13:35 »
People are pleasantly surprised to see cars like that on the road, they expect to see them at shows. At a show its camoflaged, on the road they stand out.
Suffering from a severe and unforgiving case of GTItis

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #2871 on: 26 October 2016, 18:33 »
Not strickly a what i have done but.

Due to dieing of man cold/flu laying awake most the night thinking should I sell it. :undecided:

I love the way it looks especially but im simply not using it. :undecided:
Its done less than 16k total in 6.5 years and less than 100miles this year!
A change of circumstances has not helped this year useage granted.
The mk6 GTI keeps getting left in the garage and the leon used instead as I dont care about were I park it or how I use the leon.
So the leon gets filled with all the garden crap, house renovated stuff, car restoration parts and deals with the weekly shopping trips etc while the mk6 seems to be keeping the mk1 company in the garage.
Its one of those head v hart decisions I guess.

It's a tricky one I don't like letting anything go, especially if it's not eating much grass. I didn't used to drive my Mk2 much, but since getting fed up with the whole show thing, this year I decided to drive around in it. I did around 1200 miles in it come rain or shine. It didn't do it any harm, in fact it probably did it some good. I actually got more positive attention and comments using it as a car, than I ever did sat next to it in a show field.

A friends dad has a 2000 Impreza turbo. He's had it from new and it's done less than 20,000 miles. Totally original, I don't suppose there is another like it anywhere. He rarely takes it out, but won't sell it. He couldn't bare to think of anyone else having the benefit of it for a relatively small amount of money.
I too don't like letting things go.
The mk2 and the impreza  I can relate too and I have basically done the same with my 66 mini and the mk1 GTI both have probably sat a few years at one  time or another sorn in the garage.

But the mk6 GTI is maybe a bit of a different animal.
 :undecided:
« Last Edit: 26 October 2016, 18:39 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #2872 on: 28 October 2016, 21:54 »
Took Dubber36 advice and made time today to just go for a drive in it. Went out for around an hour and covered 35 miles.
« Last Edit: 28 October 2016, 21:57 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #2873 on: 29 October 2016, 16:58 »
Well done Snoopy. Now get it back in the garage and get it SORN'd before the end of the month.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline juwivive

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2874 on: 29 October 2016, 17:13 »
Sat in horrid traffic on the M6 before trying to agree a deal whereby it would be part-exchanged it for a new C Class Coupe.  Unfortunately we couldn't agree on figures, so I shook the salesman's hand and left.

The motorway was really annoying.  I'd be happily going at 70mph and then the overhead gantries would say 60, then 40 and traffic would then grind to a halt and we'd faff about for 15 minutes hardly moving.  All of a sudden, it would start going again as if nothing had happened.  There were no accidents, no obstructions, nothing.  The traffic moved better through the 50mph restriction between J16 and J19 than it did on the supposedly 70mph bits.

Offline juwivive

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2875 on: 30 October 2016, 13:17 »
Having gone on Carwow yesterday after my aborted visit to a Merc dealer yesterday and got a quote from my nearest dealer, drove over there and shook hands on a deal for the delivery of a new C Class coupe in time for the 17 plate in March next year.

They couldn't give me an exact P/X figure for my Golf for March, but the figure they'd give me today was only £100 less than my local VW dealer offered for my GTD back in May.  This was despite it being nearly six months and around 5000 miles later and them being a Mercedes dealer and not a VW one.

Carwow made it a very easy buying experience.  The salesman had my quote on his system and ready to hand and didn't once utter the words "I need to talk to my manager".  How novel.

Offline Buck

• I live here
  • Das Auto
« Reply #2876 on: 31 October 2016, 18:04 »
Had a nice weekend up in the Lakes with the family spoilt by a taxi cutting the corner on a blind bend causing me to slam all on and steer into the verge - bang!  Yes, one ruined tyre - only 3 months old :(

Managed to put the space saver on for the return journey which meant we had to avoid the motorways on the way home as it is max 50MPH on the skinny tyre.

Rather than by a new summer tyre now I decided that I would fit my winter tyres now.  Also, decided that I would put them onto my standard alloys as I've decided to sell the winter alloys rather than refurbish them.

I loaded up the car and took it to my friendly tyre fitter today. He fitted the winter tyres only to find that one of them had a bulge in the tyre wall that meant it had to come back off and be binned :angry:  Ended up with winters on the front wheels and my summers staying on the rears!

Just taken a few photos of the winter alloys and will get them up for sale ASAP - might make me feel better!!

Offline juwivive

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2877 on: 05 November 2016, 13:15 »
Today I popped over to my friendly local tyre place and in exchange for £20, they swapped over my summer tyres/wheels to the winter set.  The summers (which were filthy) have been thoroughly cleaned, first with Bilberry and then with Dragon's Breath and are currently drying outside.  They'll be put in the shed later on.

Normally, I'd pop some sealant on in a few weeks, but as the car is going in March, I won't be bothering this time.  The summer set will be going back on the car on collection day (provisionally 1/3/17).

I also discovered a nasty scratch (long, not deep) on the front wing, so I will try out my new(ish) Rupes dual action polisher and see if I can sort it out.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #2878 on: 06 November 2016, 12:07 »
Car washed and dried yesterday in the sunshine :smiley: Now in the garage and oil and filter change today and hard wax polish. Looks and feels really good.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline mikegti77

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2879 on: 11 November 2016, 08:30 »

Traded it, collected it's replacement last night from Lookers VW; Mk7 GTI Carbon Grey, Pan sunroof. 

So far chuffed!
MK7 GTI, Carbon Grey, Pan Sunroof