Author Topic: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?  (Read 654361 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?
« Reply #1860 on: 08 September 2014, 14:46 »

Also, to all of those that have fitted Sill Protectors, is it a difficult thing to do? I know it sounds silly, but when you have OCD even being off by a mm will drive me nuts. :D

No it's very easy, a 20 min job. It's all in the prep and having a steady hand helps.  You want to make certain the upper and lower plates line up perfectly  :wink:

Firstly make sure the sills are spotlessly clean.  I wiped down with IPA and dried off thoroughly.  Then, before removing the backing tape strip, put the lower plate in place first, when you're happy with it, make a light pencil registration mark around the edge of the plate, then remove the backing strip and press down firmly to stick. Repeat with the upper ones. 

The strong adhesive backing grips immeadiately so getting them right first time is crucial.  The instructions suggest smearing the area first with a sudsy solution of washing up liquid to allow some movement whilst placing them, but this was more hindrance than help so I ditched this method it after the first one. 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #1861 on: 08 September 2014, 16:23 »
Nothing at all with my Mk6. Not even driven it for weeks. I've lost all interest in it if I'm honest. So now I have two Golfs stashed away doing nothing.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1862 on: 08 September 2014, 16:37 »
Nothing at all with my Mk6. Not even driven it for weeks. I've lost all interest in it if I'm honest. So now I have two Golfs stashed away doing nothing.

Maybe you need to chop it in for something that will reignite the passion.  Still interested in a T5?
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #1863 on: 08 September 2014, 16:45 »
I'm still saving my pennies towards a T5. I'll start looking in earnest when the pot is full.

Now would be a good time to change the Golf as it is still worth a reasonable amount of money. However I'd need to put what I'd get for it on top to get anything else worthwhile. That would knock a big hole in the T5 stash.

Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1864 on: 08 September 2014, 17:15 »
I'm still saving my pennies towards a T5. I'll start looking in earnest when the pot is full.

Now would be a good time to change the Golf as it is still worth a reasonable amount of money. However I'd need to put what I'd get for it on top to get anything else worthwhile. That would knock a big hole in the T5 stash.

Got anything in particular in mind to replace the golf?  Is the T5 a replacement for anything or and addition to the fleet.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #1865 on: 08 September 2014, 17:31 »
I keep thinking about Leons as they do look really good value, however going from a Mk4 Golf GTI to a Leon Cupra in 2002 felt very much like a backward step in terms of interior quality. I'm sure the same would probably apply today. I do like the LED headlights tho', but that's no a good enough reason to get one.

The T5 idea is a bit of a frivolous idea. It would be a weekend bike and kids carrier and caravan tug. It would be an addition to the fleet as I couldn't get rid of the Passat. That really is a cracking do most things all round car, it's just that sometimes it's not quite big enough.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1866 on: 08 September 2014, 18:13 »
I like the new Leon a lot.  I've seen a couple on the road and it's quite a headturner, but I get what you mean about it maybe being backward step in quality.  As much as I like the Leon, it's not quite got the same desirability as the golf (that might just be car snobbery though :wink:)

If the Passat is so good, and with the addition of a T5, do you even need to replace the golf?
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1867 on: 08 September 2014, 19:21 »
Restored order to my air vents  :laugh:

Finally sourced a replacement for the silver switch insert that fell off the air con unit a few months ago.  Bought a single vent from ebay, less than £5.  Stealer wanted £138 to replace  :whistle:

2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline VWhitehawk

• GTI forum regular
  • Candy White 2009 GTI
« Reply #1868 on: 08 September 2014, 20:10 »
Restored order to my air vents  :laugh:

Finally sourced a replacement for the silver switch insert that fell off the air con unit a few months ago.  Bought a single vent from ebay, less than £5.  Stealer wanted £138 to replace  :whistle:

I bet that was painful seeing that everyday, at least order is restored and at a fraction of the cost!

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #1869 on: 09 September 2014, 08:00 »
If the Passat is so good, and with the addition of a T5, do you even need to replace the golf?

Do any of us really 'need' to change our cars?