Author Topic: Carmakers told to ditch touchscreens  (Read 932 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Carmakers told to ditch touchscreens
« on: 08 March 2024, 09:04 »
Link to an interesting article on thismoney.co.uk website that’s worth a read that was recently posted on the seatcupra.net forum.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-13153771/Car-makers-ditch-distracting-touchscreens.html

Maybe we’ll be seeing the return of physical controls for some functions if car manufacturers don’t want to be marked down on the Euro NCAP rating of their vehicles………… :whistle:
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Re: Carmakers told to ditch touchscreens
« Reply #1 on: 08 March 2024, 09:26 »
Digging through the hype filter:

A vehicle can only score a maximum five-star crash test rating if it has basic control buttons, stalks or dials for five critical tasks:
Indicating directions
triggering hazard lights
sounding the horn
operating windscreen wipers
activating the eCall SOS function

So... nothing to change then?
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 08 March 2024, 09:36 »
Link to an interesting article on thismoney.co.uk website that’s worth a read that was recently posted on the seatcupra.net forum.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-13153771/Car-makers-ditch-distracting-touchscreens.html

Maybe we’ll be seeing the return of physical controls for some functions if car manufacturers don’t want to be marked down on the Euro NCAP rating of their vehicles………… :whistle:

Think everyone on this and many other forums said same thing way back when the trend started, that looking over to and touching a screen is dangerous, especially when having to hover to adjust a setting on a slider or a + icon.

It was like obviously dangerous! But what do the folk driving these cars 1000's miles a year in varying conditions know?

Personally think the MK 7.5 got balance about right, all main controls are switches or knobs, but you still have good clean aesthetics with the digital displays and where touch points are generally quick and where many are for the adjust once, never to be touched again, perfectly acceptable to be digital.

I have the same issue with architects, there is one car park, where it is so angular, line of sight, and turning points are impossible, but sure it looked great on the drawing board, same with this, can see all the suits watching a PowerPoint of this minimalist environment being told it would save 1000's and not once considered the safety.

Hope they do have to walk it back, serves them right really, something that would be done on the Apprentice and we would all laugh at the incompetence.
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 08 March 2024, 09:37 »
Digging through the hype filter:

A vehicle can only score a maximum five-star crash test rating if it has basic control buttons, stalks or dials for five critical tasks:
Indicating directions
triggering hazard lights
sounding the horn
operating windscreen wipers
activating the eCall SOS function

So... nothing to change then?

Think it was indicating that the current requirements for NCAP need to change to meet the growing concern (which was not really growing, its been said since day 1)
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 08 March 2024, 15:42 »
You have to pray all the buttonless cars have really good front collision avoidance switched on.

I often tell my wife it’s not my driving she has to worry about, it’s everyone else’s.
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline MaggotsRus

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 09 March 2024, 12:02 »
I can see massive alterations in all the infotainment systems. Too many distractions too much to alter and touch and when you’re not looking ahead of you as you should be how long will it take before serious accidents if not already have occurred because of them. I know they have the voice control and soon to come chat gpt. But it’s a car not a space ship and the whole idea of the car is to drive and enjoy it. I’ve sold my edition 45 loved the car but time to move on just wasn’t the same as my mark 7 performance. Just looking at the stagnation of the mark 8’s across the models and autotrader is full of them and the prices are dropping or they’re not selling so my thought was now sell whilst you can rather than when you have to. Much of that was to do with future concerns over support from VW when warranty expires. I can see expensive troubles coming. So now looking at Skoda practicality.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 11 March 2024, 09:21 »
I can see massive alterations in all the infotainment systems. Too many distractions too much to alter and touch and when you’re not looking ahead of you as you should be how long will it take before serious accidents if not already have occurred because of them. I know they have the voice control and soon to come chat gpt. But it’s a car not a space ship and the whole idea of the car is to drive and enjoy it. I’ve sold my edition 45 loved the car but time to move on just wasn’t the same as my mark 7 performance. Just looking at the stagnation of the mark 8’s across the models and autotrader is full of them and the prices are dropping or they’re not selling so my thought was now sell whilst you can rather than when you have to. Much of that was to do with future concerns over support from VW when warranty expires. I can see expensive troubles coming. So now looking at Skoda practicality.

If you know anything about cars, and VW software issues on MK 8 it still takes a real leap of faith to buy one second hand from a VW authorised dealer with the 2 years warranty, its completely reckless to buy one from anyone else with standard warranty. But there will be plenty still who just buy a car on face value and have no idea to the issues, but you right, Auto Trader is definitely showing the ripple effect and can see that continuing with MK 8 prices dropping more and more as more cars reach end of leases, deals etc and get handed/traded back

I really, really wanted to convince myself that going for a MK 8 would be ok, that by time i picked one up second hand all these issues would be in the past, but that's not the case, you cannot pick any MK 8 up and be guaranteed there will be no software issues, and as the MK 8.5 (which is still an unproven commodity software wise, and with ridiculously added AI also) is out of my price band, its late MK 7.5 all the way for us, already picked up an immaculate 2019 R for the wife, and when the BMW driving at moment lease finishes, be looking at as late MK 7.5 as can secure at that time as replacement. Unlike owning older cars in past, where latest tech was light or not there, pretty much everything you could want is on MK 7.5, and as just stated, there is argument you are actually gaining over newer models, with the buttons and switches still in place
« Last Edit: 11 March 2024, 09:24 by Hertsman »

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 11 March 2024, 10:32 »

If you know anything about cars, and VW software issues on MK 8 it still takes a real leap of faith to buy one second hand from a VW authorised dealer with the 2 years warranty, its completely reckless to buy one from anyone else with standard warranty. But there will be plenty still who just buy a car on face value and have no idea to the issues, but you right, Auto Trader is definitely showing the ripple effect and can see that continuing with MK 8 prices dropping more and more as more cars reach end of leases, deals etc and get handed/traded back

I really, really wanted to convince myself that going for a MK 8 would be ok, that by time i picked one up second hand all these issues would be in the past, but that's not the case, you cannot pick any MK 8 up and be guaranteed there will be no software issues, and as the MK 8.5 (which is still an unproven commodity software wise, and with ridiculously added AI also) is out of my price band, its late MK 7.5 all the way for us, already picked up an immaculate 2019 R for the wife, and when the BMW driving at moment lease finishes, be looking at as late MK 7.5 as can secure at that time as replacement. Unlike owning older cars in past, where latest tech was light or not there, pretty much everything you could want is on MK 7.5, and as just stated, there is argument you are actually gaining over newer models, with the buttons and switches still in place

@Hertsman; agree 100%.

Based on my previous car buying habits, I’d now be in the very early stages of thinking about what car will be replacing my current car. However, there’s very little out there that’s tempting me, especially with hot hatches seemingly becoming a dying breed.

I’ve owned VW’s for the last 22.5 years so I’m brand loyal unless something happens that royally p155e5 me off (either poor dealer service or a Friday afternoon lemon of a car) - that’s why I’ve moved away from other brands in the past. However, there’s nothing in VW’s current line up that I’d want if I were to buy a brand new car, and VW’s recent track record on software issues would be a big red flag for me. Build quality of my current VW isn’t as good as the previous one, but mechanically it’s been faultless and everything works as it should, so I’ll probably be keeping it for a few more years.

The VW dealership I use has made three attempts in the last 12 months to persuade me to buy a new car with a ‘fantastic deal’ (the salesperson’s words, not mine :grin:). I’ve not been tempted or curious enough to find out more about the so called fantastic deal. My current car is 3.5 years old and has covered less than 16k miles so should have plenty of life left in it, so I’ll probably be investing in a good warranty rather than throwing money at a new car.

If I do decide to change my car, it might be time to switch brands and also buy a ‘normal’ car (i.e. not a hot hatch) as the opportunity to use a hot hatch’s potential on the UK’s congested roads is becoming less and less. I also only drive around 4,500 miles a year these days, so a ‘normal’ car would probably fit the bill just fine.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 11 March 2024, 10:56 »

@Hertsman; agree 100%.

Based on my previous car buying habits, I’d now be in the very early stages of thinking about what car will be replacing my current car. However, there’s very little out there that’s tempting me, especially with hot hatches seemingly becoming a dying breed.

I’ve owned VW’s for the last 22.5 years so I’m brand loyal unless something happens that royally p155e5 me off (either poor dealer service or a Friday afternoon lemon of a car) - that’s why I’ve moved away from other brands in the past. However, there’s nothing in VW’s current line up that I’d want if I were to buy a brand new car, and VW’s recent track record on software issues would be a big red flag for me. Build quality of my current VW isn’t as good as the previous one, but mechanically it’s been faultless and everything works as it should, so I’ll probably be keeping it for a few more years.

The VW dealership I use has made three attempts in the last 12 months to persuade me to buy a new car with a ‘fantastic deal’ (the salesperson’s words, not mine :grin:). I’ve not been tempted or curious enough to find out more about the so called fantastic deal. My current car is 3.5 years old and has covered less than 16k miles so should have plenty of life left in it, so I’ll probably be investing in a good warranty rather than throwing money at a new car.

If I do decide to change my car, it might be time to switch brands and also buy a ‘normal’ car (i.e. not a hot hatch) as the opportunity to use a hot hatch’s potential on the UK’s congested roads is becoming less and less. I also only drive around 4,500 miles a year these days, so a ‘normal’ car would probably fit the bill just fine.

We decided that the present 2019 R will become triggers broom, we will just keep it best condition throughout its life, at present mileage rate, it will only have 60000 miles at 10 years, so we could easily have it for next 10 years.

Thinking is that 300 BHP and AWD is eternally enjoyable and with all the must have options ticked, its all the car you would ever need.

The last part of the thinking is that new is not better, its arguably less due to the touch interiors, and now extremely costly, any servicing costs we incur would be nowhere near cost of new/near new + service costs.

When my 128Ti goes next year, I will only be looking at run out MK 7.5 for myself, likely another R, maybe 3 Door? and run it in same principle as above.

Also, with the change of sales model VW adopting, deals will only come at source, not from your franchise, so they will be less unless VW have to shift cars wholesale (which actually might happen as less and less can afford new)