Author Topic: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?  (Read 627075 times)

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Re: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?
« Reply #1210 on: 22 January 2014, 07:49 »
Taking the rear diffuser to get sprayed gloss black   :smiley:
I take it you can drive the car without the diffuser attached if needed  :huh:?

I presume it's fitted in the same way as the boggo models rear trim. There are a couple of screw the fix to the underside of car somewhere near the center. Without these, the bumper is only held on with the screws in the wheels arches and the clips to the sides of the quarter panels. At speed, the air passing under the car could cause a fair bit of flapage and in turn, compromise the remaining fixings.

It will most probably be ok, but some strategically placed zip ties might be an idea.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
« Reply #1211 on: 22 January 2014, 08:45 »
they are only held on with with 4 torque, as long as your not doing over 60mph it will be fine for a day mate.
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #1212 on: 22 January 2014, 08:51 »
Aren't the GTI diffusers clipped to the bumper as well? If they are, the 4 torx screws will be in turn, holding the bumper on too.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #1213 on: 22 January 2014, 08:56 »
they are only held on with with 4 torque, as long as your not doing over 60mph it will be fine for a day mate.

Have you done the aerodynamic modelling to come up with that 60MPH value Ross?  :lipsrsealed:

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
« Reply #1214 on: 22 January 2014, 09:31 »

Have you done the aerodynamic modelling to come up with that 60MPH value Ross?  :lipsrsealed:

Lool, yeah i had to take a few thing into account though: road surface, wind speed, Drivers BMI, and exhaust note. after doing some calculation it came out at 59.61 mph, so i just rounded up  :grin: :grin: :grin:
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline seanule

• Not said much yet
« Reply #1215 on: 22 January 2014, 12:51 »
Taking the rear diffuser to get sprayed gloss black   :smiley:
I take it you can drive the car without the diffuser attached if needed  :huh:?

I presume it's fitted in the same way as the boggo models rear trim. There are a couple of screw the fix to the underside of car somewhere near the center. Without these, the bumper is only held on with the screws in the wheels arches and the clips to the sides of the quarter panels. At speed, the air passing under the car could cause a fair bit of flapage and in turn, compromise the remaining fixings.

It will most probably be ok, but some strategically placed zip ties might be an idea.

Cheers! ive just decided against driving it and getting a lift to the body shop, better safe than sorry i suppose  :wink:

Also getting the wing mirrors gloss black and hopefully a vinyl wrapped roof by the weekend although removing the sharkfin ariel looks a nightmare job  :sad:

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #1216 on: 22 January 2014, 18:06 »
clips and screws, i've got my rear gloss diffuser off which could do with some localised prep and a respray which i'll put up for grabs

irony is the gloss back diffuser for a R cab or Polo WRC is about £5-£10 more than the unpainted GTI one

Offline GS WAX

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1217 on: 22 January 2014, 18:32 »
clips and screws, i've got my rear gloss diffuser off which could do with some localised prep and a respray which i'll put up for grabs

irony is the gloss back diffuser for a R cab or Polo WRC is about £5-£10 more than the unpainted GTI one

Looks like it will, but Alex told me it don't fit, was it you who tried one?
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #302

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #1218 on: 22 January 2014, 21:35 »

Looks like it will, but Alex told me it don't fit, was it you who tried one?

it would be me as Alex has done most of the work on my car

it clips in ok and two central fixings are fine but the outer ones are not, I wonder if you need the valance spats that the rear bumper of the R has not had time to check part numbers on bumpers or inclination

the zorsts also down't look right in the cut outs either

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #1219 on: 22 January 2014, 22:22 »

When you got your diffuser painted, did you use solid VW paint LO41? If so did you check the match against the other glossy plastic parts? Although it wouldn't matter too much as it's nowhere near any of the other trim.
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂