Author Topic: Completely Screwed Over by Elephant Insurance.  (Read 3728 times)

Offline Gary022

• Not said much yet
Completely Screwed Over by Elephant Insurance.
« on: 26 September 2012, 16:46 »
Insured my 1.8t golf gti with them in august. i payed it all off in one.

i am planning on modifying my golf at some point in the future and being a good lad unlike most 20 year olds who mod their cars i was going to inform my insurance.

so i thought id get a quote to see how much a new air intake and exhaust would affect my insurance.

i did all this last month.

at the end of this month looking at my low bank balance i noticed elephant had withdrawn £111 out of my account without contacting me in any way shape or form. they didnt even send me an email.

i presumed their must be some mistake so i phoned them up and was told that someone has filled out a seperate quote for my car and listed it had a new exhaust air intake. ( This was me under the name Joe Bloggs ). Because of this the computer has flagged up the car they insure (my golf) is modified so we have charged you the difference.

while trying to swear as little as possible i pointed out that they had no right to withdraw money from my account and its lucky i dont contact my bank and mark it as a fraudulant claim as my car has niether of these modifications. And i never went forward with my quote under a different name as i had no intention of paying it or doing the mods.

after some more arguements it turns out i now have to take my car to a garage and pay them to check over my car to confirm its standard and then fax them a copy before i receive a penny back.  I cant imagine this will be cheap or will  i get the costs refunded back.

So Basically i am over-reacting at the fact they decided to charge me £111.84 right at the end of a month 3 days before payday for mods i dont have without telling me what so ever.

They then changed my policy to say my car is modified without informing me at all.

And now expect me to pay garage fees in order to get my own money back they have basically stolen from me.

So a word of advice if you want a quote on your car with mods. DONT BOTHER.
« Last Edit: 26 September 2012, 16:51 by Gary022 »
Mk4 Golf Gti 1.8T

Custom K&N CAI / Forge 008dv / 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Highflow Sports Cat / Pressed Plates / Carbon Wrapped Interior Trim / 18" BBS CH Reps

Offline skyinsurance

• Forum Supporter
  • GTI forum regular
Re: Completely Screwed Over by Elephant Insurance.
« Reply #1 on: 27 September 2012, 12:33 »
I've seen a few reports of this, personally speaking I think it is absolutely disgusting.

Your final statement is a little unfair on the modification friendly insurers though.

Ollie
Sky Insurance

Offline Toby

• I live here
  • Car - less
« Reply #2 on: 27 September 2012, 14:18 »
Same happend to me this week!! £500!!

The mrs didn't tell them about my non fault claim in 2011 so they backdated it!

I am fuming!! Where do I stand?

A real 304bhp 286lbft in a mk4 golf!

Currently down under

Offline skyinsurance

• Forum Supporter
  • GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 27 September 2012, 14:23 »

Nowhere unfortunately, a claim was non-disclosed.

If I were you though, I'd be finding an insurer who does not load for non-fault claims.  Only few insurers do this, unfortunately the insurance group you are with are one of them.

I'd be shopping around and enquiring about cancellation rates.

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #4 on: 27 September 2012, 14:24 »
if you want to take a picture of your exhaust and air filter, email it to me I can write out/scan/email you a document stating that they're standard fit items.

Offline Bellend

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 04 October 2012, 15:35 »
if you want to take a picture of your exhaust and air filter, email it to me I can write out/scan/email you a document stating that they're standard fit items.

Was about to say the same. :afro:

Where all my moneys went.

Golf MK3 1.6. Golf MK3 8v GTI.

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
« Reply #6 on: 04 October 2012, 16:17 »
That is BS, how could they possibly do that when all you did was retrieve a quote for future modifications. It does not mean you have had them done. All the mainstream insurers are con artists. They have no right whatsoever to do what they did, by not telling you what they are planning to do its virtually theft.

97' Mk3 Golf Gti 2.0 8v Rebuild Project http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=208865.0

Offline DunnDeal12

• Limited
  • I live here
« Reply #7 on: 04 October 2012, 16:37 »
you can contact your bank ask them to recall the payment. well you can with natwest and hsbc anyway.

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #8 on: 04 October 2012, 18:21 »

Snap, i had the same scenario earlier this year from Privilige insurance regarding a non fault claim missed off the quote frkm 2010. Fookers added another £11 a month for something some other knob did to my car whilst it was parked up. :angry:

Offline skyinsurance

• Forum Supporter
  • GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 05 October 2012, 10:58 »
That is BS, how could they possibly do that when all you did was retrieve a quote for future modifications. It does not mean you have had them done. All the mainstream insurers are con artists. They have no right whatsoever to do what they did, by not telling you what they are planning to do its virtually theft.

Absolutely 100% agree, it's despicable.