Author Topic: RCD510 \ iphone and the tom tom app  (Read 6648 times)

Offline JellyCat

• Here all the time
RCD510 \ iphone and the tom tom app
« on: 29 January 2010, 23:43 »
Here's an interesting one (and is anyone able to test if they have the following).

If you connect your iphone, I understand from what I've read that it's display comes up on the RCD510 (or what track it's playing I guess).

So what happens if you launch the tom tom app - do you hear the turn by turn directions, or that and also see on the RCD screen? Now that would be cool!!!!

I'm itching to try it out (but car is now late march \ early April)

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
Re: RCD510 \ iphone and the tom tom app
« Reply #1 on: 30 January 2010, 12:21 »
No it won't be displayed on the screen.

It does have complete integration though

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=126509.0
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline keelaw

• I live here
  • It's here!
« Reply #2 on: 31 January 2010, 10:55 »
No it won't be displayed on the screen.

It does have complete integration though

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=126509.0

So no map on screen but is completely integrated?  Sorry to be sceptical, but doesn't this just mean voice only? Hardly integrated, albeit the unit will cut out the music for the sat nav directions.  Also I don't see why a fiscon is needed for the iphone tom tom app.  Wouldn't this just work with the ipod cable regardless of RCD510 or fiscon?

Perhaps I'm just being slow this morning.....  :embarassed: :grin:
Mk6 Golf GTI 5dr, DBP, Monza Shadow, Xenons, ACC, RCD510, Park Assist, Camera, Lux pack.... and now bluetooth.... and now DSG!

Offline JellyCat

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 31 January 2010, 11:13 »
ok so it looks like of the two ways to connect an iphone with the tom tom app to the car there's bluetooth and there's the cable.

Reading the link, in the other post it was done via bluetooth which provided music and also turn by turn directions but no map on the screen. I would have expected this to be the case with bluetooth.

I'm interested in the cable connectivity so therefore the car will recharge the iphone, plus from what I understand has data to the screen.
So does is there anyone out there with the iphone & tomtom application that's tried the app with the phone connected via the cable to the car?
I suspect the result should be to recharge the iphone, plus get turn by turn directions plus music. Just wondering about the maps if they are displayed. I'm guessing the firmware on the RCD510 only interprites the track data etc from the iphone\ipod . However...... you never know as just wondering if you get album art etc, or a dispay of the iphone on the car if so.....

Offline keelaw

• I live here
  • It's here!
« Reply #4 on: 31 January 2010, 11:21 »

Not tried the tom tom app but has plugged in the wife's iphone into my RCD510 and there is no album art or anything different than the std RCD510 interface.  e.g. no different to when you use an SD card, CD, or USB stick.  therefore I would very much doubt the tom tom app will show maps (tho i would love to be corrected).  is the tomtom app free?  might get the wife to dl it!

p.s. same is true of the itouch, nothing out of the ordinary on the display.

Mk6 Golf GTI 5dr, DBP, Monza Shadow, Xenons, ACC, RCD510, Park Assist, Camera, Lux pack.... and now bluetooth.... and now DSG!

Offline JellyCat

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 31 January 2010, 11:33 »
Cheers for replying Keelaw.
Sadly no the app is about £50 so wanted to check before I buy.

It sounds like the set up would be the same as the bluetooth i.e turn by turn directions and music but at least it also charges via the car.

How long is the car cable to the iphone \ ipod? Basically just wondering where you can then seat the iphone so you can then see it's screen.

Offline AlanH

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 31 January 2010, 14:08 »
Worth considering the CoPilot app for half the price of the TomTom app. The app works in the same way as the TomTom app with 2D/3D views, turn-by-turn instructions and so on. When the iPhone is paired to Fiscon by Bluetooth, voice instructions are relayed through the car speakers. Both apps work through the IPhone OS, so the maps can't possibly be displayed on the RCD510 screen.
« Last Edit: 31 January 2010, 15:55 by AlanH »
Mk7 GTD | 3-door, Carbon Grey, Keyless, Dynaudio, Pano roof.

Offline keelaw

• I live here
  • It's here!
« Reply #7 on: 31 January 2010, 15:34 »

How long is the car cable to the iphone \ ipod? Basically just wondering where you can then seat the iphone so you can then see it's screen.

Standard cable is very short, less than 6 inches.  It plugs into a socket inside the armrest, so you'll need a much longer cable to reach the front dash.

Offline gossa

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 31 January 2010, 19:19 »
No maps on the screen.  I have the tomtom cradle kit now and have mounted it with the self adhesive 'disc' underneath the AC controls so you can't see it and when the cradle is attached with the phone and charging via the supplied cable into the cigarette lighter, it fills the ashtray area nicely and easy to see.  Down side in this location is you have no music plugged in.

Offline keelaw

• I live here
  • It's here!
« Reply #9 on: 31 January 2010, 19:24 »
... have mounted it with the self adhesive 'disc' underneath the AC controls

hmm... personally I would find this a little low.  Better to have it higher so that you can keep half an eye on the road.