Author Topic: Advice on selling up  (Read 2192 times)

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
Re: Advice on selling up
« Reply #10 on: 04 October 2021, 18:38 »
In the past I've never had an issue selling my car's and they've all been modified that's why I'm a bit puzzled.

Offline Gulfstream11

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 05 October 2021, 08:25 »
In the past I've never had an issue selling my car's and they've all been modified that's why I'm a bit puzzled.

I bought an Ed30 from a forum member, Revo Stage 2. Just looking at his posts I could tell he was an enthusiast and had no issues buying it. Maybe when viewing a modified car there will be external clues to the driver behaviour. Kerbed wheels, bumps and scrapes,general f~ckery that would throw up red flags. Or am I looking at this as a 20yr GTI owner and not a first timer.

Previous rides..MKIV 1.8T   MKIV PD150  MK5 GTI MK5 edition30 now MK7 GTI PP

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 05 October 2021, 22:52 »

I bought an Ed30 from a forum member, Revo Stage 2. Just looking at his posts I could tell he was an enthusiast and had no issues buying it. Maybe when viewing a modified car there will be external clues to the driver behaviour. Kerbed wheels, bumps and scrapes,general f~ckery that would throw up red flags. Or am I looking at this as a 20yr GTI owner and not a first timer.

I know exactly what you mean. I've just bought a Fabia to replace the Golf from a forum member off briskoda who has been on the forum for years, like you say, you generally get a feel for how the car has been treated.

And here's the Golf replacement 😁

The aim is to put the money from the Golf into converting a van into an off grid camper so this is what I'm running around in now.
« Last Edit: 05 October 2021, 22:54 by Ryan90GTI »

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 09 October 2021, 08:24 »
Liking the Fabia and miss the ones I had tbh as they are great cars.

Getting back to your GTI, we’ll I’m in the same boat tbh. I posted mine up on a few platforms etc and even offered it to the competition sites thinking with the way Mike had been done and the genuine, very expensive, aftermarket parts used it’s go as wasn’t asking much for them all. However I’ve heard nothing from the comp sites and had a few offers but either wanting to PX or saying mileage is a little too high.

I’ve nearly removed everything now and returning the car back to stock.

It’s more hassle but will give the biggest return and open the market up to more people after just a stock car.
As others have said the issue is most people avoid a modified car on the assumption it’s been treated far harder and with less care than a stock car BUT in most cases it’s the complete opposite. I’m way more careful with my cars than I see most people are with their stock ones. Most just a think if it as just that, a car to get you from A to B and usually just on tick so happy to just hand it back and move on when ready. I on the other hand am anal about where I park, avoiding potholes and crappy roads where I can, cleaning it fastidiously, repairing/replacing parts as soon as I think there might even be the slightest chance of an issue, etc, etc.

Anyway good luck with the de-modding and sake of the car buddy.

Mine will be on autotrader end of next week once the KW’s, Akra and Forge intercooler are all removed next week. Oh and just need to source a stock bonnet lol.

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 09 October 2021, 10:55 »
So, has the Golf gone now then @Ryan90GTI ??

Looks a nice Fabia, Liking the colour.
« Last Edit: 09 October 2021, 13:20 by madstaff »
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 09 October 2021, 14:34 »
No, the car is still for sale. I've reduced the price further again in the last couple of days. I'm hoping somebody will take the car as it is but in reality it doesn't look like its going to happen.

I'll see what happens over the weekend and then I'm going to start stripping parts

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 16 October 2021, 16:03 »
It's gone 😢 I ended up removing the alloys and strut brace in the end then reduced the price accordingly and it went within a day or two.

So if anyone is interested the alloys and the strut brace a in the classified section of the forum.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 16 October 2021, 16:52 »
Lovely car, new owner should be well pleased.

An enthusiast owned and cherished GTI with a file full of invoices is a lovely thing to get hold of when there's so many "average" examples about.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 16 October 2021, 18:01 »
It's gone 😢 I ended up removing the alloys and strut brace in the end then reduced the price accordingly and it went within a day or two.

So if anyone is interested the alloys and the strut brace a in the classified section of the forum.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

A great car for the new owner! Stick around though :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 16 October 2021, 22:00 »
If I stick a GTI badge on my Fabia I can still pretend I've got one 🙂