Author Topic: Finally bought a GTI!  (Read 1730 times)

Offline A-Kai

• Just got here
Finally bought a GTI!
« on: 28 August 2023, 10:41 »
Hey people!

6 days ago I finally made the leap and bought a used mk7.5 GTI Performance. It’s only been a week but I’m completely over the moon with it and have already started doing some light tinkering using OBDEleven. Eventually going to take it to the Green Hell as well! Know the area very well as I grew up around there before moving to the UK.

I think the front quarter side shot should be classed as NSFW.

Owning a GTI also cheered my dad up because back in Germany he used to own a mk2 GTI until mother wanted a bigger family. IMO best looking GTI even hatchback ever!

As it’s my daily, does anyone have any tips for making the ride a little smoother? This one doesn’t have DCC and while it’s not bad, riding on the 19” alloys, it can be quite rough over our fabulous London roads.

Has anyone played with the idea of retrofitting DCC? I know it’s not easy or cheap, especially the calibration once the parts and modules have been bolted on. I think some people were selling the suspension and shocks for about £5-700, without the control module.

Any season owner’s tips would be appreciated!

Cheers!

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Finally bought a GTI!
« Reply #1 on: 28 August 2023, 16:27 »
Looks great, nice choice! Tyres make a big difference but ultimately it's a lowered sporty type so always going to be a compromise needed. If it is still on Pirellis, change those. They are a hard tyre with average grip and noisy. I have Michelin PS4S on mine which is a more comfortable ride but there are other good ones out there. PS4S also have a good sidewall which helps protect the wheels from scuffs.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 29 August 2023, 14:28 »
Welcome to the forum and happy motoring.. As Watts says it is a sport suspension but tyre choice and wheel size make a difference. 19's are always gong to result in a firmer ride but prefer the style to the 18" Austin. I have stuck to Goodyear over the years and generally found them a good compromise between out and out performance and an element of comfort but you will find that everyone on the forum has their own views on tyres as it tends to  be personal preference although most are not keen on the Pirellis.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline A-Kai

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 30 August 2023, 00:35 »
Looks great, nice choice! Tyres make a big difference but ultimately it's a lowered sporty type so always going to be a compromise needed. If it is still on Pirellis, change those. They are a hard tyre with average grip and noisy. I have Michelin PS4S on mine which is a more comfortable ride but there are other good ones out there. PS4S also have a good sidewall which helps protect the wheels from scuffs.

Thank you! I did. read somewhere else that the Michelins are a pretty good tyre choice. How are they with dry weather performance and durability? Assuming that the comfier nature makes them more prone to wearing the tread down?

Welcome to the forum and happy motoring.. As Watts says it is a sport suspension but tyre choice and wheel size make a difference. 19's are always gong to result in a firmer ride but prefer the style to the 18" Austin. I have stuck to Goodyear over the years and generally found them a good compromise between out and out performance and an element of comfort but you will find that everyone on the forum has their own views on tyres as it tends to  be personal preference although most are not keen on the Pirellis.

Thank you! And I’m pretty sure most people I’ve spoke to suggested changing the tyres to a different brand, some even suggesting down sizing. Would the 18”s with better rubber make that much of a difference in terms of overall ride quality?

Offline gavinl1967

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 30 August 2023, 09:03 »
Good morning and welcome.  I’m a new owner and member myself.  I’ve already found some good information in the forum and I’m sure you will do likewise.

Enjoy your new car 👍

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 30 August 2023, 10:06 »
For what it’s worth I changed the original Bridgestone Potenza’s for PS5’s earlier this year, difference is night and day in a positive way, less noise, smoother running and car feels ‘tighter’ (bit un-scientific I know).
Bridgestones seem to get a bit of bad press on here.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 30 August 2023, 13:27 »
I did. read somewhere else that the Michelins are a pretty good tyre choice. How are they with dry weather performance and durability? Assuming that the comfier nature makes them more prone to wearing the tread down?

Thank you! And I’m pretty sure most people I’ve spoke to suggested changing the tyres to a different brand, some even suggesting down sizing. Would the 18”s with better rubber make that much of a difference in terms of overall ride quality?

I had 19s with no DCC on my last car and on PS4S the ride was very good. Personally, given the looks, that's what I'd do in your case. But going 18s with great tyres is likely to be the better ride.

The PS4S are a brilliant tyre, wet or dry. The grip is superb. I found the spinning and hop that I got with the Pirellis disappeared almost entirely, huge improvement. As for durability, I got 20k miles from the Pirellis, I had done 20k on the Michelins when I sold the car and they had a few thousand miles to go. They are a great tyre.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 30 August 2023, 21:51 »
Welcome A-Kai  :smiley:

Give the Michelins a go, but don’t expect miracles! They’ll improve the dynamics of the car no end compared to the Pirellis but the ride won’t be night and day different, just “improved”

Fitting DCC won’t be for the faint hearted but it’s doable. Personally I don’t think it’ll bring about the ride quality improvements you wish for as the springs are quite firm and non adjustable. DCC merely controls *reactively* damping of the spring oscillation. I prefer non DCC and *proactive* driving personally  :whistle:
My recommendation would be for better tyres and learn to live with the ride.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline A-Kai

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 01 September 2023, 10:43 »
Thank you everyone!

Have to admit the hops are annoying but seems to be that the Pirellis should be binned asap. I’m curious to see how changing the tyre and the wheel size affects ride quality and performance. Sounds like a fun experiment to conduct so I’ll see if I can source some 18”s and get some new rubber for both 18s and 19s and feedback.