Author Topic: m.w. reception with beesting  (Read 4827 times)

Offline boodermar

• Just got here
m.w. reception with beesting
« on: 23 August 2003, 10:24 »
I've just got a 97 GTi with o.e. beesting aerial and the m.w. reception on the stereo is very very poor, however, the f.m. is perfect. Does anyone elses have this problem, or have any ideas of how to cure it.

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
Re:m.w. reception with beesting
« Reply #1 on: 23 August 2003, 11:45 »
My Audi had that problem (same aerial).......couldn't get MW at all. The amplifier (thats in the base of the aerial) was knackered. Got a replacement aerial from GSF......very cheap.
Another thought, you have got the remote out from your head unit connected to your aerial haven't you?

Offline boodermar

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 01 September 2003, 19:14 »
I think it's all connected up, sounds like its the amp problem.

If I got an new aerial is it easy to fit? Would I have to remove the head liner etc and fix a new lead?

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 02 September 2003, 08:38 »
With my Audi, I was able to get at it by removing the rear ceiling light and a trim panel so it was quite easy and it was a straight swap. Not sure that you'll be so lucky, got a feeling you do have to remove the headliner.

Offline stoat

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 05 September 2003, 08:54 »
The areial does not make any difference, it is only a piece of metal, if anything it could be the amp at the bottom of the areial if you have one, or its you stereo or you reception.
MK3 GTI 8V

Offline Slim Shady

• Here all the time
  • Thrash her like a ginger step child
« Reply #5 on: 10 September 2003, 09:59 »
I think you'll find - that the Bee sting aerial is for FM only.

The head unit will have a ferrite bar inside for AM frequencies.

Maybe you have a gash receiver? :-\

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 10 September 2003, 12:28 »
I think you'll find - that the Bee sting aerial is for FM only.

The head unit will have a ferrite bar inside for AM frequencies.

Maybe you have a gash receiver? :-\

I think that used to be the case but not so now.......certainly with my Audi which uses the same part number aerial as the Golf. Have a read of this:-

'If you have problems with radio reception don't be quick to blame the head unit; the problem my lie with the radio antenna. The OEM factory antenna employs separate amplifier circuits for the AM and FM bands. These circuits are designed to boost the most radio signals possible while filtering out unwanted stations and noise. These microelectronic circuits are housed in the antenna's base while the receiving element consists of a spring loaded, wire-wound, fiberglass mast designed to withstand most automatic carwash machinery.

Symptoms of problems with radio reception include poor FM reception (only strong stations tune in), and virtually no AM reception. Other indications of faulty antenna operation include audible "pops" heard on the AM band originating from turn signal or windshield wiper relays. The culprit to these problems may be that the antenna is not getting 12 volt power, the antenna is poorly grounded, or the antenna amplifier may be bad. The worst case scenario is that none of these problems is the cause and the radio itself is bad. If you have an aftermarket radio, the antenna may not be receiving power or you may have an ill-fitting antenna RF cable adaptor. Regardless, to troubleshoot for the source of the cause will require gaining access to the antenna and power connections at the back of the head unit and at the base of the antenna.'

This article came from here:-

http://20v.org/audioupg.htm#antenna

Offline Slim Shady

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 11 September 2003, 11:58 »
Shurley it's dependent on the receiver - rather than the capabilty of the antenna. I agree the 'beesting' can receive both AM +FM - but what is the spec of the head unit?

I ain't saying you're wrong and I'm right - but I think there are variables in this equation. :P

If he has an older type unit - maybe, perhaps>??????? ???

I dunno - but you learn summat everyday don'tcha?

Offline AdamB

• I live here
  • The Perfect Storm
« Reply #8 on: 11 September 2003, 12:40 »
Shurley it's dependent on the receiver - rather than the capabilty of the antenna.

I have to disagree and say the quality of an aerial is vastly underated, you need to have a good reception point for the amplifier in the receiver unit is only going to amplify noise. Try plugging an old aerial into the head unit and see if you get a difference.I speak as a qualified communications engineer, so hopefully I may be of some assistance  - and stop calling me Shirley ;)
I don't own this anymore - I just can't be arsed to change the picture

Offline Slim Shady

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 12 September 2003, 12:56 »
You misunderstand

- i'm referring to head units having built in MW antennas - and wether the capabilties of a bee sting aerial would impeed the quality of MW recetion.

NOT the pros and conms of gash/quality aerials - a good aerial is always better than coat hanger obviously. ::)