Author Topic: New GTI owner  (Read 2875 times)

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
Re: New GTI owner
« Reply #10 on: 14 April 2023, 17:58 »
Does using a more premium fuel make that much of a difference?

I did a very non-scientific method when I had my Mk4 1.8T GTI way back when, in the early 2000s.  Tried a tank of super unleaded from various brands: BP, Shell etc and a couple of supermarkets' super unleaded (Tesco and Sainsbury's I think).

I drove normally on my 45 minute commute to work until my tank was as empty as I could safely get it to a different brand's petrol station - I experienced some range anxiety moments!  :grin:.  At the end of my experient and some rough maths, I found that super unleaded did allegedly give me a slight improvement in economy.  BP and Shell appeared to be the better ones and gave me 1 maybe 2 more MPG. 

But loads of variables and it was definitely not a controlled test @Greenie222  :grin:  If you get a few more miles great, but the cleaning additives are what I am more concerned with.
Mk8 GTI Clubsport | Pure White | DCC | Black Estorils | HUD | a fair few options

Previous: Mk6 GTI | Candy White | Manual | DCC | Dynaudio | Cruise | Winter Pack | Lux Pack | Rear Camera & F/R Parking Sensors

Offline Tractor Dave

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 14 April 2023, 20:20 »
Tractor Dave - they just reset all the settings. They said that it had been stationary on the forecourt so this could have been the reason why. How long does it take after a reset to start giving accurate readings?

Oh. Keep an eye on things then whilst in warranty period. Rich running could be faulty oxygen sensor. What they did was clear the fault codes using vcds or similar. Shouldn't effect your fuel computer.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 17 April 2023, 13:50 »
Tractor Dave - they just reset all the settings. They said that it had been stationary on the forecourt so this could have been the reason why. How long does it take after a reset to start giving accurate readings?

Oh. Keep an eye on things then whilst in warranty period. Rich running could be faulty oxygen sensor. What they did was clear the fault codes using vcds or similar. Shouldn't effect your fuel computer.
Worth getting another fault code check after a couple of weeks as Greenie suggests. My consumption is about what others are getting. Had my mk6 for 13+ years.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline JSYGTI

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 21 April 2023, 09:47 »
Think yourself lucky, here in Jersey with our 40mph limit and short journeys, I get about 21mpg  :undecided:

Even my old Volvo C30 D5 diesel only got 29mpg. However, I did get 600 miles out of a full tank on a road trip in France. I’d imagine the GTi would do better in France too.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 21 April 2023, 12:17 »
We had our 62 plate GTI for 6 months, it mainly does the town and commute and that's been in the late 20s for MPG as an average, but on the longer journey, such as 100 mile trip out to the Caffeine and Machine last Sunday, it topped 40 MPG but dipped a little under that by time home due to a spirited stretch, and that's pretty much as hoped consumption would be, and we putting no more fuel in that we did on the Audi A1 1.4 185BHP, which imagine is due to the twin turbo that generated that 185BHP, the GTI is a way better car to drive, really good pull from the get go, opposed to having to wind the Audi up,

Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC