Author Topic: GTI vs 'cooking' golf  (Read 803 times)

Offline IainTinTop

• Not said much yet
GTI vs 'cooking' golf
« on: 19 January 2012, 21:49 »
I had only had my GTI for a week when I forced the supplying dealer to take it back and fix the aircon that should have been checked in the first place...... They left me with a GT 140 blue motion - a good car but it made me realise just how good the GTI is......

Overall responsiveness, poise, handling, etc. compared to lesser versions is great. The seats in GTI are fantastic, and I love the cloth.

Thing I really noticed about the GT TDI was how loooong the gearing is - you can see how the MPG is good, but makes the car feel completely gutless. I know the 140 TDI engine well from our other cars, so it's not an anti diesel thing. I trust the GTD is more 'alive'.

Also specific to my car I realise that a 3dr gives the driver a better view, well for me anyway the B pillar in the 5dr seems to be in the way at junctions. Of course getting in an out of the 3dr in car parks, etc. is much harder.

My car is DSG - not universally loved here I note, but for me it makes a great all rounder even better. I found the manual in this particular car pretty rubbery. Note I have never previously owned an automatic, and before trying this car wouldn't have considered one. Early days but so far so good.

I came to my GTI after a dreadful experience with an Audi A3 cabriolet (great for a year, then never right after hood replaced for the first of three times). I forced Audi/local dealer to give a little more than retail for my car when exchanging for any VW/Audi/Skoda - quickly selected the GTI as what I wanted (didn't fancy any other Audi) and went for the best one they had to get the deal whilst it was on the table.

So I arrived at a 3dr Deep Black (always swore I would never have another black car!) DSG that is otherwise pretty standard. So far I am very pleased.
2010 3dr DSG, Deep Black Pearl

Offline PenguinGTI

• I live here
Re: GTI vs 'cooking' golf
« Reply #1 on: 19 January 2012, 22:17 »
Hi there, welcome to the forum.

I've shared your experience many times during the ownership of my GTI. On many occasions I've had to spend some time in another car (usually another member of the families but sometimes a courtesy vehicle) and on almost every occasion I've been pining to get my GTI back. It's not until it's gone that you realise just how capable it is - or rather until you return to the reality of a 'normal' car.

Glad you are enjoying it though and hope that it lasts longer for you than the A3.  :smiley: