Author Topic: Not worth not declaring  (Read 2873 times)

Offline Bellend

• I live here
Not worth not declaring
« on: 13 January 2013, 17:51 »
Wanted a VR6 for ages. Is a grand to insure a VR6 Golf (R32 is cheaper, where's the sense in that?).

Got an insurance quote for it all.

£590:
MK3 Golf 1.6
Lowered (Made £20 difference for the year)
Exhaust (Made £0.00 difference for the year)
Alloys (Made £0.00 difference for the year)
Engine - Non Standard 2.8l 174 BHP (£42.30 YES £42.30 for the year!)
Exterior decorative changes (£0.00 difference for the year)
Brakes Uprated (0-00 difference for the year).

Elephant after an email.

£62.30 difference for ALL of that.

IS it worth not doing?

Where all my moneys went.

Golf MK3 1.6. Golf MK3 8v GTI.

Offline MereKat

• GTI forum regular
Re: Not worth not declaring
« Reply #1 on: 13 January 2013, 18:26 »
How long is left on the policy? Sounds like it'd be well worth declaring!

Insurance is crap though, my 16v was gunna be around £50 a year more than my old megane saloon 1.6, a mk4 gti-t was the same as my old mk4 1.6 8v!

Offline Bellend

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 13 January 2013, 20:01 »
Trying to say to people it's just not worth the risk.

My insurance is so cheap. :grin:

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #3 on: 13 January 2013, 20:43 »
With my current providers, Sky, it wasn't worth declaring the 16v conversion when I did. I had 3 months left of the policy and they charged me £120, which would have been the same cost if I had declared it at the start of a new contract. It's stupid and I felt ripped off but I had to do it to run everything legally! But they should have charged however many months I had left, so £120 for 12 months, 3 months left should have been £30!

Offline Bellend

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 13 January 2013, 23:59 »
With my current providers, Sky, it wasn't worth declaring the 16v conversion when I did. I had 3 months left of the policy and they charged me £120, which would have been the same cost if I had declared it at the start of a new contract. It's stupid and I felt ripped off but I had to do it to run everything legally! But they should have charged however many months I had left, so £120 for 12 months, 3 months left should have been £30!

Admiral and the likes are just as bad.

Any changes mid term and they rape you.

Swapping cars from something expensive to insure to something dirt cheap and the price no different. Same with address. Both details making a HUGE difference on a new policy.

Such a pain but I'll be honest and say for the first two odd months I had the car insured I didn't declare and I'd literally stop and avoid police cars as much as possible! After that I declared it all, cost me £350 lowered, exhaust and alloys but such a relief!

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 14 January 2013, 01:09 »

Swapping cars from something expensive to insure to something dirt cheap and the price no different. Same with address. Both details making a HUGE difference on a new policy.

Such a pain but I'll be honest and say for the first two odd months I had the car insured I didn't declare and I'd literally stop and avoid police cars as much as possible! After that I declared it all, cost me £350 lowered, exhaust and alloys but such a relief!
so you had no cover for those couple of months you drove around  :shocked: :shocked: just makes your username make perfect sense  :grin: :grin:

Offline Bellend

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 14 January 2013, 01:47 »

so you had no cover for those couple of months you drove around  :shocked: :shocked: just makes your username make perfect sense  :grin: :grin:

As many other members on here have admitted to.

Thanks, bye.

Offline skyinsurance

• Forum Supporter
  • GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 14 January 2013, 11:12 »

Hi,

the way you explain this isn't correct, please drop me a PM with your surname and postcode so I can offer a reply.

Thanks