Author Topic: advice on upgrading system on a MK2  (Read 1391 times)

Offline baggiemad

• Not said much yet
advice on upgrading system on a MK2
« on: 25 February 2006, 18:20 »
am a beginner at this sort of thing so some advice would be great!  :smiley:

I have a '90 mk2 16v, which only seems to have 2 standard 13cm front speakers in, it has had no rears fitted at all, which seems strange on this model...

I have upgraded the head unit to a Sony cdx-F5550 mp3 player but i have a small amount of cash to upgrade the speakers now

This car is 100% original and i want to try and keep it that way  :smiley:

so not keen on making door pods and such like, was thinking of building a acoustic shelf rather then cutting holes in original shelf, how much would this cost and what sort of speakers would you recommend (under £100 say), would like it covered to keep prying eyes out

The head unit is 50 watts a channel so that is plenty for me, but a small sub in boopt might be an option, if so what amp/sub?

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
Re: advice on upgrading system on a MK2
« Reply #1 on: 25 February 2006, 21:03 »
Caliber CSS 5's in the doors (Swap these for components with mids in the doors and tweeters on the dash if funds allow)
Caliber CSS 46's in the parcel shelf supports
10" Vibe active sub/amp box in the boot
8 gauge wiring kit.

the 50w on your headunit is max power. the RMS is closer to 20w :)
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline j_s

• Here all the time
Re: advice on upgrading system on a MK2
« Reply #2 on: 25 February 2006, 22:25 »
Can get you some Target components, a Target amp and a  Target sub + a Target 6g wiring kit for a good price, let me know if you are interested.

Go to http://www.innovationaudio.co.uk to have a look at the kit, my friend is the distributor of Target Audio and all of my stereo is based around his product lines, it's all Italian and some lovely made kit, the Target stuff will be possibly reviewed by Adam Raynor in the next issue of Fast Car (yeah I know it's Fast Car but Adam Raynor does have good knowledge of car audio still  :wink: )
James