Author Topic: Shark MP3/CD unit  (Read 3204 times)

Offline daros

• GTI forum regular
Shark MP3/CD unit
« on: 29 February 2004, 11:05 »
Has anybody bought/got one of this brand. If so, would you recommend?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3080195126&category=18798

Cheers folks

David

Offline Yidwann

• Not said much yet
  • MkIII Gti 8v With TSR Ooomph!
Re:Shark MP3/CD unit
« Reply #1 on: 29 February 2004, 11:37 »
Just from looking at it, it looks very cheap and nasty mate. Im sure with just a little more dough you could get something better. Just did a quick search on google and can't find anything about them. The key to MP3 headunits is the ease that you can search through and select tracks, if this is fussy then its a pain in the backside, so I personally wouldn't buy one without being able to see it and have a play.

But on the up side it is cheap, and could be one of those bargains of the century when it turns out to be the gonads and a bargain price. You just don't know though!

Your Choice! :)
« Last Edit: 29 February 2004, 11:38 by Yidwann »

Offline daros

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 29 February 2004, 12:56 »
Thanks for that mate. I am acutely aware of the potetial of these problems hence the request for feedback from the horses mouth so to speak!. I checked the ebay members' feedback and the only one i could find who had bought this seemed happy enough.

Thanks for your response anyway...much appraeciated.

David

Offline Yidwann

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 29 February 2004, 12:57 »
No Problemo's :)

Offline paladin

• Not said much yet
  • Call me old and I'll smack the sh!t out of you.
« Reply #4 on: 29 February 2004, 13:00 »
I don't think I would mess with a no name.  Plus it's not that cheap.  

There are no real specs listed (100 watts is that like 50x4, is it peak?)

The time and effort it takes to install, even if you don't like it you might end up keeping it, and being miserable.

Check out Crutchfield.com ]]http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-inEXjHqYoji/autoinfo/autoinfo.asp?s=0&cc=01&vehicleid=0http://
Thier expensive but have a ton of radios and specs.  Then after you choose one, search online for the best price.

In the end you kinda do get what you pay for, but sometimes you can skip the options you're not realy interested in (which drive up the price of a radio, like graphix) and get a good radio at a reasonable price.
« Last Edit: 29 February 2004, 13:01 by paladin »
'94 Mk III 2.0
Bosal cat-back:K&N w/mod.airbox:GIAC
Alpine 9815
JBL BassPro
CDT Audio HD-52 in reinforced q-form kicks
MB Quart 218.21 (mid's) in rear
QuietCar (being applied)

Offline Yidwann

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 29 February 2004, 13:10 »
I'm hopefully going to be the owner of one of these very soon, hopefully

Or if the dual display McDoooberry is a silly price will get the single display version.

Spoke to the guys at uplands the other day who had just got back from the Pioneer 2004 launch and they were very impressed, good systems to find the tracks you want and overall quality. Roll on! :)

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
« Reply #6 on: 29 February 2004, 19:40 »
look for the Signal/Noise Ratio when choosing a headunit. the higher the better. wants to be around 90-100.

There are a couple of sony's you can get for 85 notes. or you can spend a little more. the bottom of the range only have 1 pre out. you're looking at around the ?115+ range if you want more.

mine has LPF/HPF for the speakers so you can take off the bottom or top to stop the huge basslines killing them or tighten up that bass.

personally I'd save a little longer and get a really good headunit.
you get what you pay for at the end of the day.
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline daros

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 06 March 2004, 13:46 »
Ok folks, I have been out looking at CD/MP3 units this morning and have to say the choice was quite limited. :( I am looking to spend under ?150 and would like to hear about any units that you recommend. I am not really bothered about masses of features etc......as long as it will play cd/cd-r/cd-rw/mp3 and isn't completely naff then i will be a happy bunny ;D.

As many replies as possible would be greatly appreciated.

David

Offline daros

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 12 March 2004, 20:50 »
No-one willing to help on this one then.........? :'(

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
  • No golfs here. Only a C63 mercedes
« Reply #9 on: 12 March 2004, 21:06 »
All the major manufacturers launch there 2004 range this month which means two things.

1) There will be a whole host of new units to pick from, with improved specs etc.

2) There will be some great deals around on existing models. Wait till the end of the month and you will be able to get an absolute bargain.

If I were buing I'd stick to either Kenwood, Pioneer or Alpine, as I get on best with these models - I like the looks, I like their sound, and I like their features, but personal preference will ultimately decide what you go for. Happy shopping  ;D

The greatest leveller of them all - the Carousel